FM3 Firmware Version 5.03

Status
Not open for further replies.
I loaded that preset, Plexi 50, and saw the speaker drive set to zero in the amp block. So I looked at the cab block and saw the drive set to 5.69. @thrashmetl mentioned drive set at 5.69, so I figured he was looking at the cab block. In any case, I don't think the cab block preamp drive works with preamp type none.
Ok, so it sounds like the OP was referring to the wrong parameter name.

And I believe you are correct. With the preamp type of None, neither Drive nor Saturation should have any affect.

Speaker Drive is part of the Amp block. It's not related to Cab block preamp.

I loaded that preset, Plexi 50, and saw the speaker drive set to zero in the amp block. So I looked at the cab block and saw the drive set to 5.69. @thrashmetl mentioned drive set at 5.69, so I figured he was looking at the cab block. In any case, I don't think the cab block preamp drive works with preamp type none.

Ok, so it sounds like the OP was referring to the wrong parameter name.

And I believe you are correct. With the preamp type of None, neither Drive nor Saturation should have any affect.

Sorry everyone, you are correct, it is the drive parameter in the Preamp section of the Cab Block, not the speaker drive. If I recall correctly the Preamp type was set to Vintage, not none. I just pulled back the level on the drive and it immediately solved the problem.

Love it the plexi models do seem more defined. Just keeps getting better!
I have a habit of finding and amp, or a vague "sound" I hear in my head and parking myself there for an extended period of time, which is why I really haven't gotten around to doing a deep dive on all (or even most) of the Plexi models yet. I've dipped my toe before, but for some reason I seem to agree with you specifically about the Plexis having now had time to really focus on them for a while. There's that inspiring sound you get with the first power chord you play that's either there or it isn't. And even if it isn't "all there" from the get go, it usually can be coaxed out of the FM3 with some effort, but this time there seems to be that immediate feeling of "yes, this is it!"

In my head I'm counting the seconds before someone says that nothing has changed about them, but don't really care. I'm just glad I got there, even if a bit late!

HI All,

I am on FW5.03
after boot up my layout wasnt loaded correctly, wrong view on startup. Furthermore the tip function of switch 1 wasnt there instead the hold function of switch 1 was shown in the display but didnt work either.

I rebooted and all was good again.

On 5.03

Turned on the FM3 as the left button was stuck and non operational as shown in the picture.
A restart fixed it.

Attachments

• PXL_20220608_104003016.jpg
    PXL_20220608_104003016.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 67
Sometimes, when i switch to my live presets,
the PITCH BLOCK (that has the Scene Ignore ON) but is saved as BYPASSED in the preset itself,
will turn ON automatically.

A.

Not to mention these factory presets have evolved and been updated over decades from some of the most talented and creative people, and while all FAS devices are intended for professional usage, they are still affordable and accessible to non-pro hobbyists alike.

I'm not a professional today, but I've done my time like many, and honestly the factory presets... I could show up to a gig and pick one, and play the whole gig with it, and the mix engineer would hardly have to do anything for it to sit where it's supposed to.

Ymmv

Unfortunately, I have not yet received an answer as to when the setlist function is likely to be installed. In weeks, months or years.... it was a polite question that would be important for me. But unfortunately no response, although it has already been announced that this function will be implemented soon.
Since I want to prepare my FM3 for the gig, the option now remains that I use the Per Preset function.
My question: is it possible to define this once and it is then available in all presets or do I have to redefine the switches for each preset?
Thank you!

Unfortunately, I have not yet received an answer as to when the setlist function is likely to be installed. In weeks, months or years.... it was a polite question that would be important for me. But unfortunately no response, although it has already been announced that this function will be implemented soon.
Since I want to prepare my FM3 for the gig, the option now remains that I use the Per Preset function.
My question: is it possible to define this once and it is then available in all presets or do I have to redefine the switches for each preset?
Thank you!
Per-preset is per preset... As the name tells you ;)

If you want the same thing on every preset, then that's global. Just define a layout and use it for everything.

I haven't updated my FM3 to firmware 5 yet. My question is this... Is now a good time for the late adpoters (people like me) to do the update to (at firmware 5.03 and Presets 5.03), or should I sit tight a little longer to wait for 5.04 to come out?

do the update
Do it
Season 4 Reaction GIF by The Office

I haven't updated my FM3 to firmware 5 yet. My question is this... Is now a good time for the late adpoters (people like me) to do the update to (at firmware 5.03 and Presets 5.03), or should I sit tight a little longer to wait for 5.04 to come out?

The firmware seems to move fairly quickly on this device so I think there will generally always be something new coming. Make a full backup of your device and throw the new firmware on there, nothing to really lose there in that scenario.

I am certain that many of the amp models have steadily become more tolerant to my own pick-ups and I assume to the countless types of shitty pickups that must get thrown at them.
And somehow at the same time they became vastly more responsive to the pick-up controls.
At one point after getting the FM3 I seriously considered buying active pick-ups for the first time since the early 80’s thinking sterile and clean might be the way to go since my passive pickups lost all dynamics anyway when played thru it.
I now consider it a luxury to give zero shits about talk of the latest greatest hum-buckets, stomp-boxes, racks, mixers, effects loops, DI and load boxes, interfaces, simulated outs, switchers, spliters, MIDI controllers, patch cables, adapters and god only knows what else you could possibly corrupt a simple signal chain with these days.
At the same time I can totally liberate my real amp to just do the one thing it does best- set and forget.
And use the FM3 for all the absurd stuff that would be a nightmare to pull off any other way.
I now have serious trauma and regret issues that might never fade because of the time, resources and thought that I completely wasted in wet/dry rigs over the decades.
The only thing I miss is a good handful of Eventides best delays and the not insignificant higher level of fidelity and resolution that you will only ever get with the very best dedicated effects processors.
And I don’t care about what the peasants at your shitty gig will fall for-
I still appreciate the sound of the very best of the best effects for my own enjoyment.
But on the flip side all of the FM3 effects are guitar oriented and that goes a long way when remembering what it’s like struggling to force a gorgeous keyboard effect to work with a guitar.
I tried telling myself that maybe some of that now useless experience might come in handy when routing effects in the FM3-
but even a drummer could build a decent preset with this thing.

Not sure if this was already covered, but is the new Speaker Drive Algorithm from the AxeFX III 20 firmware yet in, or coming to the FM3?

-Aaron

I am certain that many of the amp models have steadily become more tolerant to my own pick-ups and I assume to the countless types of shitty pickups that must get thrown at them.
And somehow at the same time they became vastly more responsive to the pick-up controls.
At one point after getting the FM3 I seriously considered buying active pick-ups for the first time since the early 80’s thinking sterile and clean might be the way to go since my passive pickups lost all dynamics anyway when played thru it.
I now consider it a luxury to give zero shits about talk of the latest greatest hum-buckets, stomp-boxes, racks, mixers, effects loops, DI and load boxes, interfaces, simulated outs, switchers, spliters, MIDI controllers, patch cables, adapters and god only knows what else you could possibly corrupt a simple signal chain with these days.
At the same time I can totally liberate my real amp to just do the one thing it does best- set and forget.
And use the FM3 for all the absurd stuff that would be a nightmare to pull off any other way.
I now have serious trauma and regret issues that might never fade because of the time, resources and thought that I completely wasted in wet/dry rigs over the decades.
The only thing I miss is a good handful of Eventides best delays and the not insignificant higher level of fidelity and resolution that you will only ever get with the very best dedicated effects processors.
And I don’t care about what the peasants at your shitty gig will fall for-
I still appreciate the sound of the very best of the best effects for my own enjoyment.
But on the flip side all of the FM3 effects are guitar oriented and that goes a long way when remembering what it’s like struggling to force a gorgeous keyboard effect to work with a guitar.
I tried telling myself that maybe some of that now useless experience might come in handy when routing effects in the FM3-
but even a drummer could build a decent preset with this thing.
I have noticed the new algorithms being quite a bit more tolerant of different pickups. When I played with AX8, I had to have separate presets for various guitars, not anymore with new hardware which is super easy and nice!

Contact support@fractalaudio.com and reference me. This sounds like a possible hardware problem.

EDIT: 1 thing you might try before contacting support is to hold down both HOME and EDIT while booting. If it still doesn't come up then contact support.
This same symptoms are occurring with my FM3 just exactly as reported by farhanxp. I have no idea how to return it to functional state.

The unit flickered on when I connected MIDI cables and expression pedals, even though the AC power cord was not yet attached. Now stuck on FM3 5.0.0 splash screen with no progress bar. Cannot connect to FractalBot or FMEdit. I was running 5.0.3 without issue. I have emailed support@fractalaudio.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom