FM3 Firmware Version 5.03

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I experience any thing that seems off, my #1 is to reinstall the FW again, while on a blank preset.
Reinstalling the firmware while on an empty preset isn't going to make much difference. Backing up a bank, or multiple banks, while parked on an empty preset will make a difference.

Reinstalling the firmware while on an empty preset isn't going to make much difference. Backing up a bank, or multiple banks, while parked on an empty preset will make a difference.
Edit

My response was snarky.

In my experience it has made a difference. Is it not recommended to load FW on blank preset?

Last edited:
Edit

My response was snarky.

In my experience it has made a difference. Is it not recommended to load FW on blank preset?
I don't think so... Backups make sense because the firmware is running the current preset when making the backup, so there's a benefit to using as little extra CPU as possible.

Loading firmware isn't running the current preset as far as I'm aware.

I could be wrong...

I don't think so... Backups make sense because the firmware is running the current preset when making the backup, so there's a benefit to using as little extra CPU as possible.

Loading firmware isn't running the current preset as far as I'm aware.

I could be wrong...
That’s been my experience too.

Loading firmware, just like restoring/loading an “all banks” backup file, seems to do it in one stream, whereas backing up presets, or installing presets using the Preset Manager, seems to walk through the presets individually, and take longer as a result.

Besides my usual "Can I get a hallelujah for the Plexis" I would like to remark that to me with this FW all the amps seem to sound clearer and more defined regarding the percussive aspects of the guitarsound. Palmmuted legato with a little gain sounds like a lyrical machinegun, it's tight, has a nice attack but somehow also still a smooth projection of the actual note. I for one like this a lot.

If I experience any thing that seems off, my #1 is to reinstall the FW again, while on a blank preset.

Ok, so I reinstalled 5.03 while on a blank preset and I’m still experiencing the problem. I noticed that it actually does it with one of the stock cabinets too. I also did the 5.03 preset update too. If you open the 50 Watt Plexi preset the default cabinet is cabinet B. If you switch it to cabinet A which I believe is a 412 M20B cabinet the sound is there. I’m not sure if it’s clipping or just a lot of fizz, but it’s not subtle.

I just upgraded to 5.03 from 4.00 (I’ve been out of the loop for a while). I’m experiencing a weird issue and I’m sure there’s an obvious and easy solution. Some of my third party IR’s are clipping…..and others from the same pack, although a different speaker, are not clipping. All levels and settings are exactly the same. Never experienced this before. Any thoughts? Solutions?

Check your presets with the leveling tool. Reduce amp output level if necessary!

Ok, so I reinstalled 5.03 while on a blank preset and I’m still experiencing the problem. I noticed that it actually does it with one of the stock cabinets too. I also did the 5.03 preset update too. If you open the 50 Watt Plexi preset the default cabinet is cabinet B. If you switch it to cabinet A which I believe is a 412 M20B cabinet the sound is there. I’m not sure if it’s clipping or just a lot of fizz, but it’s not subtle.
Worth a shot at least

You're seriously saying that 3.0.1 (I think you might mean 3.02?) sounds better than 5.03? I'll throw the BS flag on that.

I'll give you that 3.02 sounds GREAT because the FM3 was on 1.xx when I received mine and I immediately knew it was on a whole 'nother level, but there have been significant improvements even since then

Can someone else test this out real quick to see if they’re experiencing the same? I have a feeling It’s not just my unit. I also wanted to note that I’ve tried the same IR that gets fizzy/floppy on the stock preset 008 50 Watt Plexi patch on other patches like the 100 Watt Plexi and it works fine with the 100 Watt.

After I started typing this I went in a dialed in a 50 Watt 2204 patch from scratch with one of the offending IR’s and it sounds fine, no fizz/clip, so apparently it’s one of the settings on the factory preset 008 50 Watt Plexi that’s causing it. Any idea what setting could cause this so I can bring it down? I’ve tried the master volume and it’s not that.

Just loaded that one up. Yeah it’s fizzy but it’s a Marshall. On the speaker page you can lower the high frequency a bit. On the preamp page you can lower triode 1 and 2 plate frequency. That will take some life out of it but will reduce fizz. Set the cab hi cut around 7khz or whatever sounds good to your ears. I don’t like that big bright cap on these. Turn it off or lower the cap value. I like higher bias on both pre and power amps since no worries about smoking tubes. These are just suggestions, they may or may not work for you. Change cabs maybe. Best advice is use your own preset since you like it.

Just loaded that one up. Yeah it’s fizzy but it’s a Marshall. On the speaker page you can lower the high frequency a bit. On the preamp page you can lower triode 1 and 2 plate frequency. That will take some life out of it but will reduce fizz. Set the cab hi cut around 7khz or whatever sounds good to your ears. I don’t like that big bright cap on these. Turn it off or lower the cap value. I like higher bias on both pre and power amps since no worries about smoking tubes. These are just suggestions, they may or may not work for you. Change cabs maybe. Best advice is use your own preset since you like it.

I’m not saying it’s all cabs, just certain cabs have a very unnatural clip/fizz, most sound perfect. On the stock preset 008 if you switch from default cab B which sounds great to Cab A which is the 412 OH MAR M20B which is a Legacy cab there’s that nasty clip/fizz.

Also some 3rd party purchased IR’s I load sound perfect like the Ownhammer MRCB 412 H75 OH1-1, but the Ownhammer MRCB 412 GB-M25 Cut-2 from the same Ownhammer pack has the clip/fizz. I’ll have to dig in and and compare the settings between the stock preset 008 and the patch that I built myself and figure out what’s different.

I’m not saying it’s all cabs, just certain cabs have a very unnatural clip/fizz, most sound perfect. On the stock preset 008 if you switch from default cab B which sounds great to Cab A which is the 412 OH MAR M20B which is a Legacy cab there’s that nasty clip/fizz.

Also some 3rd party purchased IR’s I load sound perfect like the Ownhammer MRCB 412 H75 OH1-1, but the Ownhammer MRCB 412 GB-M25 Cut-2 from the same Ownhammer pack has the clip/fizz. I’ll have to dig in and and compare the settings between the stock preset 008 and the patch that I built myself and figure out what’s different.

Figured it out, speaker drive. The speaker drive was set to 5.69. On my OH M25 IR it starts to get fizzy above approximately 4.00.

Figured it out, speaker drive. The speaker drive was set to 5.69. On my OH M25 IR it starts to get fizzy above approximately 4.00.

Good catch. This is new to me, because if the cab preamp type is set to none I didn’t think the drive did anything. Good to know. I never use the preamp because of cpu constraints.

Speaker Drive is part of the Amp block. It's not related to Cab block preamp.

I loaded that preset, Plexi 50, and saw the speaker drive set to zero in the amp block. So I looked at the cab block and saw the drive set to 5.69. @thrashmetl mentioned drive set at 5.69, so I figured he was looking at the cab block. In any case, I don't think the cab block preamp drive works with preamp type none.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom