FM3 Firmware Version 5.03 beta 6 (release candidate)

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a racing simulator I work on, when the CPU reaches about 80% to 85% the cars lag and stutter as they go around the track. It's a semi real time type of processing that occurs and I guess it may have something to do with processing interrupts and/or spikes in CPU usage. Sounds like the Fractal may be in the same situation. You can't just start dropping or lagging bits of sound data if the CPU is unable to keep up.

It never causes processes to quit.
The processes don't quit in the modeler, they are silenced because the load is so high that the user needs to do something to reenable proper processing. Processes that spontaneously quit are bugs and get fixed. Processes that halt because a condition triggered code that told them to skip what they do to leave time for the interface to work correctly are part of a system's fail-safe mechanism.

Our choice is to work within the system or fight against it and rail at the universe, but it won't change how the system works. Fractal has studied this problem for a long time, tried various suggested solutions, and are doing what seems right to them for the good of the majority of the users.

Brilliant! My computer’s performance goes to hell by the time it reaches 50% CPU.
Agreed. The conventional wisdom is to keep it below 50%. I've pushed mine well past its limits several times and unplugging it was the only way to regain its attention.

On a racing simulator I work on, when the CPU reaches about 80% to 85% the cars lag and stutter as they go around the track. It's a semi real time type of processing that occurs and I guess it may have something to do with processing interrupts and/or spikes in CPU usage. Sounds like the Fractal may be in the same situation. You can't just start dropping or lagging bits of sound data if the CPU is unable to keep up.
'zactly.

Agreed. The conventional wisdom is to keep it below 50%. I've pushed mine well past its limits several times and unplugging it was the only way to regain its attention.
I’ve never heard that before. Does it also apply to Fractal Audio, or they’re special and 80% is ok only for them? You and Rex are acting like engineers with access to the source code, but you’re just customers, right?

I’ve never heard that before. Does it also apply to Fractal Audio, or they’re special and 80% is ok only for them? You and Rex are acting like engineers with access to the source code, but you’re just customers, right?
We're experienced developers, and the source code isn't needed to know best practices for general-purpose computers.

The modelers are NOT general-purpose computers and play by different rules, so when the developer of that product says a certain thing, it's a really good idea to listen because Fractal made it fit and run within certain constraints.

Every day I do. Just keep the room cool and the fans running. It never causes processes to quit.
Really curious, can you please share a screenshot of your CPU history for the past 30 sec or so of whatever time you prefer. Not GPU if you're mining. I think you're confusing CPU with Memory. Here's my laptop now:

CPU
1652920597917.png
vs Memory
1652920519087.png

Thanks

Attachments

• 1652920466455.png
    1652920466455.png
    14.8 KB · Views: 0
Brilliant! My computer’s performance goes to hell by the time it reaches 50% CPU.
Call your IT department then?
Really curious, can you please share a screenshot of your CPU history for the past 30 sec or so of whatever time you prefer. Not GPU if you're mining. I think you're confusing CPU with Memory. Here's my laptop now:

CPU
View attachment 102090
vs Memory
View attachment 102089

Thanks
no, and its servers/vms. Or Monero on one box.

what if the CPU meter was similar to my DAW? Once it peaks, just show a red dot or something to let me know that at some point it peaked (hit 100 or whatever threshold makes sense) and maybe I better back off somewhere. Click to clear the dot or mark and I can continue on my way.

We will play some gigs in the near future. For playing live, the new setlist function will be very helpful and I hope, that this feature will be implemented in the FM3 soon. Is there already a schedule for the implementation of this function?
I think it came out on 19.06 for the Axe-FxIII but since updating to 19.08 I can't get it to work anymore. I can't import my lists or get any words to type. I'm bummed. I hope they get it fixed or give me a solution.

The line from the movie… “Why don’t they just make 10 louder?” And Nigel’s classic response “But this goes to 11”… is appropriate to describing the cpu discussion.

I will say in the cpu regard, having been a previous helix owner… the way they managed cpu was with greyed out blocks of items appearing indicating it would tip the cpu past the limit. Ie… certain drives or reverbs would be greyed out if cpu wouldn’t permit. It did take the guess work out and I just worked around it… pick another drive or tweak the amp more, etc. no guesswork.

Mind you, one of the main reasons I switched to an FM3 was the abundance of grey boxes I was seeing when constructing presets in the HX Stomp. It be was too underpowered in a few instances.

My presets rarely come up that high anyway in the FM3 and even then, there are oh so many ways to get around it to achieve the same sound pretty much.

Sean Meredith-Jones

I think it came out on 19.06 for the Axe-FxIII but since updating to 19.08 I can't get it to work anymore. I can't import my lists or get any words to type. I'm bummed. I hope they get it fixed or give me a solution.
That does not sound good... . Hope you can you use this function soon again

Last edited:
The thing to remember is that Fractal is committed to keeping the units in lockstep as closely as the hardware will allow.
Thank you, I know that, and it is just one point of many why Fractal users are very happy with the product itself and the work of the Fractal team. I have also expressed this several times.
I also ask the question about the setlist feature on FM3 just to get some indication of when it will be implemented. I know there can be no promises on this, but it would be helpful to know if it will take a week, a month or a year.
the user could then follow it a bit and adjust the FM3 setup to it

Thanks @hippietim, my point exactly.
Processors/cores peak briefly towards the max 100% or even stay there for a couple a seconds but they usually stay in the 5%-20%.
Badly designed software (tight loops, no multi-process/multi-threading when useful) can hog a processor not at 80% but at 100%.
The FM3 hardware, running the signal through the blocks can reach the 80% and still be stable (probably way less when no signal is present but the CPU usage is there to warn you)
From my point of view this is a logical representation of the machine resources and I can use that to know how far I can push it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom