FM3 Firmware Version 5.01

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it on purpose that the Mini-Displays for the FS behave differently now?
Like when am in Scenes mode and switch scene, the currently active FS mini-display will show the previous scene name (which is now displayed twice in 3 displays). This is quite confusing ... I read there's some change to the display behaviour but how do I get it back to behave like before?

Thank you!

I love this upgrade! I love the Maxon 808, the 1S1588T Diode, the added CPU use efficiency. I never warmed up to the tape preamps. Now, I like them as much as the tube preamp -- more in some situations. I not sure if I am imagining this, but the transformer preamp also sounds more pleasing to me. But, it could be that it just sounded more appropriate for an SRV patch. And there is more, but that is enough for now.

Last edited:
Oh, and I’m using one of the bass cab impedance curves for all my presets. Off the top of my head it’s the Ampeg Portaflex one. I think I’m using the 4x10 curve on the SVt though. Same story. Dunno if this matters at all.
@GK Breivik, you did not mention the amp model. But, My experience with a distorted swooshing may have occurred while I was using the SVT amp block -- with the skyline tone circuits-- to approximate the Steel String Singer (per Austin Buddy.) I tried both SV amp 1 & SV amp 2. In fact, I can't be sure that the it did not only happen on the SVT amp models only.

I just tried to induce the same instability on a Bludojai Clean amp model that I was tweaking in a similar fashion. I was unable to induce the distortion/swooshing sound in that amp/patch -- for what that is worth.

Like when am in Scenes mode and switch scene, the currently active FS mini-display will show the previous scene name (which is now displayed twice in 3 displays). This is quite confusing ... I read there's some change to the display behaviour but how do I get it back to behave like before?
This is a known bug currently being fixed by @BryantP

Here’s what I’m talking about. Cycling through the first four scenes of a typical preset. Clean, 3 diff. amps.
Yes, that is much, much more subtle. The sound is similar, but it is at a much lower volume and with a much slower build. My apologies, if I have been annoying. -- Last thought, it might be a be very low-level oscillation, set off by a LF resonance. You might try slowly lowering the peak of the resonant low frequency with the "LF Reso" control on the Impedance Curve in the Speaker Tab of the Amp Block. Sometimes, lowering the frequency of the resonance with the "Low Freq" control helps also.

I asked this same question and havent gotten a response yet either... it has to do with "second press goes to previous scene". helpful in many ways, like going from a rhythm patch to a lead and back in one foot switch, but so far the only way to make your mini display not confusing is to turn the feature off entirely.. luckily its getting fixed.. or maybe it'll just be an option to turn on or off

Here’s what I’m talking about. Cycling through the first four scenes of a typical preset. Clean, 3 diff. amps.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rtt08i5jn8l0zd5/Bass swoosh.aif?dl=0

@FractalAudio
Oh wow I was imagining something completely different. That’s not what I would describe as “noise” other then all sound could be considered noise at some point. I take it you’re talking about what sounds like a speaker vibrating a cabinet or just being pushed beyond its limits. I’m not suggesting it has anything to do with speaker emulation, just reminds me of that. I don’t hear swooshing.

Have you tried to tweak the presets? It reminds me of a parameter pushed too far. Low Freq. power oscillation?? The sound is solid and pretty darn quiet otherwise.

Edit:
I just saw that @Postretro posted as I was typing. Considering some of the changes made in the modeling algorithm it’s possible that some parameters that were on the verge of being at a limit are now exceeding that limit for the specific level and frequency of sound being pushed through it.

Last edited:
I asked this same question and havent gotten a response yet either... it has to do with "second press goes to previous scene". helpful in many ways, like going from a rhythm patch to a lead and back in one foot switch, but so far the only way to make your mini display not confusing is to turn the feature off entirely.. luckily its getting fixed.. or maybe it'll just be an option to turn on or off
This is a known bug currently being fixed by @BryantP

Is it just me or has anyone else had their FM3 GUI lock up randomly and then sound like it's bypassing all blocks? The only option I have is to reboot the FM3. This happened when I first got the FM3 on Firmware 4.01, Beta 5, Beta 5.04, 5.0 and now with 5.01. I can't consistently recreate it but the only thing I am doing is resetting the amp block and adjusting the basic knobs (drive, low, mid, high, master, level, presence...). It seems to happen when I turn low/mid/high to the max level and back as far as I can inconsistently tell (it just happened when I maxed the high and back down to 5.0). Attaching preset in case anyone can see anything wrong... thanks!

Attachments

• Live.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 3
Oh wow I was imagining something completely different. That’s not what I would describe as “noise” other then all sound could be considered noise at some point. I take it you’re talking about what sounds like a speaker vibrating a cabinet or just being pushed beyond its limits. I’m not suggesting it has anything to do with speaker emulation, just reminds me of that. I don’t hear swooshing.

Have you tried to tweak the presets? It reminds me of a parameter pushed too far. Low Freq. power oscillation?? The sound is solid and pretty darn quiet otherwise.

Edit:
I just saw that @Postretro posted as I was typing. Considering some of the changes made in the modeling algorithm it’s possible that some parameters that were on the verge of being at a limit are now exceeding that limit for the specific level and frequency of sound being pushed through it.
I doubt that it’s to do with a parameter being pushed too far. I’ve even tried a hard reset of the amps. Same story. I’ve attached a preset. If you bypass the cab block in scene 2 for instance, it’s VERY noisy.

Attachments

• Swooshy bass.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 4
I doubt that it’s to do with a parameter being pushed too far. I’ve even tried a hard reset of the amps. Same story. I’ve attached a preset. If you bypass the cab block in scene 2 for instance, it’s VERY noisy.
I don't have a bass. But, it does sound loose and flabby. I found that other bass speakers sounded tighter. I swapped the speakers with other speakers with bass in the title and randomly tried some. Almost all of them sounded tighter. I also found that raising "Xformer Low Freq" (amp block -- on speaker page) from 10 Hz up -- even to as much as 60Hz helped. But, I am not sure if that is what you want for Bass. Still, you might want try those two changes and see if it changes the distortion you hear. There are other "bass" and "SV bass" speakers that may sound better to you.

Also, scene 1, channel A cab is a Dime Bag Darrel IR cab -- not a bass cab. It is the same with the cab in scenes 3 & 4. That might be causing a problem.

Last edited:
I would like to report a possible bug. The Citrus 200 amp is producing a metallic noise similar to a bit crusher, when playing notes below the a-string. (with a bass guitar) I made a preset with only the citrus 200. The sound occurs already in the stock settings of the block. It does not disappear when I reduce the gain.
I'm experiancing this behavior since version 5.0. Right now I have installed 5.1. It did not appear in the beta 5.1. The following beta's I had not installed. I went directly to 5.0.

I wanted to reply so it doesn’t seem I’m ignoring you. I don’t have a bass or have any experience with a bass and the FM3 so I probably should keep my comments to a minimum. Also, seeing @Andreas01 is having bass issues too there might be some bug with low frequency input. Just a final thought is that based on your recording it really reminds me of active electronics and either a dying battery or the Bass EQ being pushed too hard. I don’t know if your instrument has Active electronics and I’m sure you would have checked that already.

Ironically my Brother just took possession of a new Sire M5 5 string and the preamp in that thing uses 18 volts and the Bass EQ is easy to push into distorting gain stages. I was sort of surprised by it. It has so many pup configurations that with some settings the extra boost is good. Heck of a Bass too. I hope FAS gets you sorted out.

I don't have a bass. But, it does sound loose and flabby. I found that other bass speakers sounded tighter. I swapped the speakers with other speakers with bass in the title and randomly tried some. Almost all of them sounded tighter. I also found that raising "Xformer Low Freq" (amp block -- on speaker page) from 10 Hz up -- even to as much as 60Hz helped. But, I am not sure if that is what you want for Bass. Still, you might want try those two changes and see if it changes the distortion you hear. There are other "bass" and "SV bass" speakers that may sound better to you.

Also, scene 1, channel A cab is a Dime Bag Darrel IR cab -- not a bass cab. It is the same with the cab in scenes 3 & 4. That might be causing a problem.
I probably didn’t include my IRs. Using a few custom ones. Sorry about that., but it really doesnt matter anyway. Disable the whole cab block in my preset. The amp has A LOT of HF hash here.
I would like to report a possible bug. The Citrus 200 amp is producing a metallic noise similar to a bit crusher, when playing notes below the a-string. (with a bass guitar) I made a preset with only the citrus 200. The sound occurs already in the stock settings of the block. It does not disappear when I reduce the gain.
I'm experiancing this behavior since version 5.0. Right now I have installed 5.1. It did not appear in the beta 5.1. The following beta's I had not installed. I went directly to 5.0.
This is probably EXACTLY the problem I’m experiencing. Download my preset above, and disable the cab block, see if it’s the same. Disabling power amp modeling makes it go away.

I wanted to reply so it doesn’t seem I’m ignoring you. I don’t have a bass or have any experience with a bass and the FM3 so I probably should keep my comments to a minimum. Also, seeing @Andreas01 is having bass issues too there might be some bug with low frequency input. Just a final thought is that based on your recording it really reminds me of active electronics and either a dying battery or the Bass EQ being pushed too hard. I don’t know if your instrument has Active electronics and I’m sure you would have checked that already.

Ironically my Brother just took possession of a new Sire M5 5 string and the preamp in that thing uses 18 volts and the Bass EQ is easy to push into distorting gain stages. I was sort of surprised by it. It has so many pup configurations that with some settings the extra boost is good. Heck of a Bass too. I hope FAS get you sorted out.
No worries, I appreciate the input! :) I do this for a living, and I’m in a professional control room atm. There’s nothing wrong with the bass or anything else. :) Everything is also fine when bypassing the power amp modeling, or the amp block in its entirety.

I probably didn’t include my IRs. Using a few custom ones. Sorry about that., but it really doesnt matter anyway. Disable the whole cab block in my preset. The amp has A LOT of HF hash here.

This is probably EXACTLY the problem I’m experiencing. Download my preset above, and disable the cab block, see if it’s the same. Disabling power amp modeling makes it go away.
I can confirm that the noise disappears when turning off the poweramp section

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom