FM3 Firmware Version 5.00 beta 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
FM3 Firmware Version 5.00 beta 4 is now available for download:
https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/fm3/5p0/fm3_dsp_rel_5p00_beta_4.zip

A new version of FM3-Edit is required for this release:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm3-edit-1-05-04-rc2-supports-fw-5-0-public-beta-4.181194/

NOTE: This build fixes the communication issue between FW 5.00 beta2 and FM3-Edit described here: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm3-edit-1-05-04-to-support-fw-5-00-b2.181174/post-2218938. Please download and install the new version of FM3-Edit as well.

New and Improved FEATURES​

• Improvement: The front panel now has various double-tap functions:
    • Double-tapping EDIT edits the previous block.
    • Double-tapping HOME enters the layout grid.
    • Double-tapping STORE prompts immediately.
    • In the Home or Layout menus, double-tapping the A-E push-knobs does the following:
      • A enters the Amp 1 menu;
      • B enters the Drive 1 menu (think “Boost”)
      • C enters the Cab 1 menu.
      • D enters the Delay 1 menu.
      • E enters the Reverb 1 menu (think “rEverb”)
  • Integrated the newest “Cygnus X2” amp modeling from Axe-Fx III using the Chase Nonlinear Feedback (CNFB) technique for the solution of nonlinear ODEs. This provides improved accuracy, especially in the clipping and power supply sag behavior vs. frequency.
  • Improved CPU performance of the Reverb block.
  • New Amp model: “FAS Buttery”
  • New Drive Block Types: “Valve Screamer VS9” and "Maxoff 808" including a new diode SPICE model “1S1588T” This is the Toshiba version of the 1S1588 and is reportedly the diode used in the “best” TS-808s.
  • New “Types” within the Flanger, Plex Delay, and Multitap Delay blocks provide instant access to exciting effect settings without the need to adjust or understand advanced parameters. Special thanks to Leon Todd, Simeon Harris and Cooper Carter for some of the new effect type contributions.
  • New LFO in the filter section of the Plex Delay block allows creative modulation effects.
    See the Blocks Guide for details.
  • Push-knob functions in the Block Edit have been simplified to a single page.
  • New “Modern Gate” type in the Gate/Expander Block. This type is similar to the Classic Gate except the gate opens in a constant linear-in-dB manner. This naturally makes the attack slower as the gate first opens and can be used for both traditional gating and for special effects like audio swells.
  • New “S-Taper” option in the Volume Block allows new and improved “Auto-Swell” sounds.
  • New “Max Loop Time” parameter in the Looper block. This allows loop length to be set precisely in advance of recording.
  • New Diffuser Modulation in the Multitap Delay.
  • New 'MUTE' option for OUTPUT 1 MODE. This causes only processed audio to be muted. USB audio will still be routed to and heard, enabling certain applications when using a DAW with input monitoring.
  • Changed Looper behavior so that if recording and time reaches the maximum recording time the mode changes to that specified by Record 2nd Press (for the first pass of a new recording.)
  • Overhauled the Compressor Block in line with the latest Axe-Fx updates:
    • Improved Auto-Makeup gain behavior.
    • Added Input Level switch. When set to INSTRUMENT the detector is optimized for guitar-level signals, i.e., before an amp block. When set to LINE the detector is optimized for post-amp level signals.
    • The Pedal, Optical, Tube, Analog, JFET and Dynamicomp types have been completely redone resulting in improved performance. These types now inherently perform automatic makeup gain.
    • Auto Attack/Release has been removed from the Pedal and Dynamicomp types as it is no longer applicable.
    • Added Emphasis frequency to the sidechain.
    • NOTE: Due to all these changes the behavior and output volume of the Compressor block may be different. It is recommended to audition any presets using the Compressor block and adjust as required.
  • Added global Speaker Impedance Curve parameter to global Config menu. When set to DEFAULT, the speaker impedance curve used when selecting an amp model is the default curve for that amp model, otherwise it uses the selected curve.
    NOTE: this does not affect existing presets. The curve only changes when selecting a new amp model.
    Also added several new Impedance Curves; thank you to Dr. Bonkers Soundlab for these.
  • Added Damping control to Modifiers. The default, EXPONENTIAL, is the classic damping style where the modifier value has an exponential attack/decay. LINEAR selects a linear attack/decay.
  • Added Type control to ADSRs. The default, EXPONENTIAL, is an analog style where the ADSR has an exponential attack/decay. LINEAR selects a linear attack/decay.
  • Added High Mid control to the Drive block.
  • Added “RCB Boost” to Amp block Boost types.
  • Added Master Bias Excursion parameter to the amp block. See the Blocks Guide for details.
  • Improved accuracy of Master Volume in Amp block for low settings.
  • Improved Amp block cathode follower algorithm. Algorithm now uses higher order solution of nonlinear ODE for more accurate low frequency response.
  • New option “ALL” for “Spillover” in SETUP: Global Settings: Config. In addition to Delay and Reverb, this includes Plex Delay, Multitap-Delay, and Ten-Tap Delay blocks, allowing spillover when switching presets. See your Owner’s Manual for more on spillover.
  • Added “USB 3/4” to the input options of the Multiplexer block.
  • Added red indicator line to the “mini tuner.”
  • Improved “Tape” preamp types in Cabinet block.
  • Improved accuracy of Drive block Drive control at low settings.
  • Improved Stack/Hold in Delay block so that “texture” is applied to audio when Stack/Hold is on.
  • New options in the I/O: AUDIO menu features allow greater routing flexibility of USB audio.
    • New “USB 1/2 Playback Destination” parameter allows computer audio from USB 1/2 to be sent to either Output 1 L+R (the default and previous behavior) or Output 2L+R. This allows for the easy separation of processed guitar to Out 1 and default computer system audio to Output 2.
      • If you use only Output 2, you can now hear both processed guitar and USB audio by using the settings Output 2 Copy: OUTPUT 1 and USB 1/2 Playback Destination: OUTPUT 2.
    • New “OUTPUT 1” option for “USB 3/4 Playback Destination” allows routing USB 3/4 to Out 1.
      (This gives FM3 the same “USB Output mapping” capabilities as Axe-Fx III and FM9.)

Foot controller changes​

• Added “Bank Switch Limits” ENABLE/DISABLE to the FC Config menu. These allows the FM3 to ignore the limits set in bank switches, thereby allowing access to ALL BANKS by default.
  • Added “Scene Level + Save” to the “Utilities” functions.
  • Added a “Mini-LCD Invert Mode” option under the APPEARANCE section of the FC Controllers’ Config page.
  • Added a “STARTUP VIEW” for the FM3 and external FCs to the FC Controllers’ Device page.
  • Added an option for “2nd Previous = Previous Bank” to Bank, Select function.
  • Added an option for “2nd Previous = Previous Preset” to Preset, Select function.
  • Added an option for “2nd Previous = Previous Channel” to Effect, Select Channel function.
  • Added a “Current Channel” Mini-Display Label option to Effect, Chan Inc/Dec.
  • Added a 1.5 second delay to functions that trigger a save of the preset to allow multiple actions before a single save.
  • Fixed the mini-LCD display when “2nd Previous = Previous Scene” is “ON.”
  • Fixed Bank limit calculations in some circumstances.
  • Updated the switch ring LED to be dim instead of off for Function Effect, Select Channel when Smart Bypass is ON and the effect is in the preset but the effect is bypass.

FIXES​

• Fixed the fan ‘chirping’ demonstrated on some units.
  • Other small fixes based on those made on the Axe-Fx III.
  • Fixed a crash when editing Bank and Effect Inc/Dec functions in certain circumstances.
  • Fixed a potential crash in the Multitap block time is set very low.
  • Fixed modifiers not working properly for some parameters (e.g., Plex Delay Rate parameter).
  • Fixed KVB not being updated correctly.
  • Fixed certain graphs disappearing after a banner display.
  • Fixed Amp Band-Commander squeal at default settings.
  • Fixed Compressor block auto-gain not working properly.
  • Fixed Compressor block distorted audio on certain settings.
  • Fixed Amp FAS Buttery crash.
  • Fixed GUI not being redrawn when switching between a knob menu and a list menu.

Hi rglr !

Possible BUG in Cab Block. Regardless of Preamp Type selected, the DRIVE and SATURATION are now both always 0.00 (?) Before they defaulted to 4.50 and 5.50 respectively (?)

Ben

Can we confirm whether or not the Megatap block will be getting the "Types" like the Axe III has? I'm not sure if this was just overlooked or if it's a decision to omit them. It's not a specific FW question per se, but a FW update, I imagine, would be the only time something like these would be implemented. Thanks!

Loaded in each of the new Beta updates that were released today and all of them load up with the Bassguy amp for my custom made presets. It was recommended to me that I do a "refresh after new firmware". I did this numerous times for each new beta release. It didn't work. I am back on beta 5.1. Is there a fix for this yet or should I not expect it until the official release?
Are you looking on the unit or the editor?

If it's only in the editor then the editor is the issue not the firmware...

Hi rglr !

Possible BUG in Cab Block. Regardless of Preamp Type selected, the DRIVE and SATURATION are now both always 0.00 (?) Before they defaulted to 4.50 and 5.50 respectively (?)

Ben
I'm pretty sure they should default to 0. Based on my Axe Fx III and FM9 experience.

If you change the type, I believe it should keep the previously defined values.

Yeah, I never do the amp reset thing. I don't understand it and don't care because my presets never sound any different (or, at least not in a bad way that would make me want to tweak). I saw a reduction of about 4-5%.
I did do the amp reset, but I think any difference was negligible.

To answer @ben ifin , I don't believe it is necessary with each firmware update; you'll be told if it's recommended. The factory presets were updated at 4.01 and the amp blocks were all updated, if I recall correctly.

I'm pretty sure they should default to 0. Based on my Axe Fx III and FM9 experience.

If you change the type, I believe it should keep the previously defined values.
Hey. Thanks :)

Its weird because with FW 5.B1 they defaulted to 4.5 / 5.5 respectively like in FW 1 <-> FW 4 (?)

Ben

Sorry for all the posts ........

I have:-

=> Windows 11 Pro OS
=>installed FW5 B4 [ from FW 5 B2 ] and FM3 Edit RC2 - all fine :)
=>Refreshed after update - all fine :)
=>Prior to reading fcs101's post above, I did do a full block reset of all my Amp, Drive and Cab blocks

Result

=> in all 4 of my primary gigging presets, the CPU % Usage went UP on all 4 of them by a consistent ~ %2 ...... to the point where one of them is now flashing "warning" but not cutting audio out [ ..... at least not yet ] ?!

Any thoughts / advice / opinions / suggestions would be much appreciated.

Ben

Last edited:
Those are fairly high values, IMO.

Yep .... but unless Im "dreaming" or my memory is getting more and more "shot" ....... 4.5 DRIVE and 5.5 SATURATION were the default Cab Block Preamp values from FM3 FW 1 <-> FM3 5 B1 ...... and now they are 0 and 0 (?)

Im thinking it could be a bug / oversight (?)

Ben

Sorry for all the posts ........

I have:-

=> Windows 11 Pro OS
=>installed FW5 B4 [ from FW 5 B2 ] and FM3 Edit RC2 - all fine :)
=>Refreshed after update - all fine :)
=>Prior to reading fcs101's post above, I did do a full block reset of all my Amp, Drive and Cab blocks

Result

=> in all 4 of my primary gigging presets, the CPU % Usage went UP on all 4 of them by a consistent ~ %2 ...... to the point where one of them is now flashing "warning" but not cutting audio out [ ..... at least not yet ] ?!

Any thoughts / advice / opinions / suggestions would be much appreciated.

Ben
maybe the preamp values defaulted to those mentioned and the preamp simulation adds cpu load. if you had them 0 before that could be the cause

I find it interesting the lack of excitement over.
"Added a “Mini-LCD Invert Mode” option under the APPEARANCE section of the FC Controllers’ Config page."
People have been asking for this since the FC foot controllers launched. Also interesting it made its debut on FM3 before anything else. At least I hope this is coming for FC6-12. I'm guessing the mini displays editable pixels don't extend all the way to the edge of the display as to why it has lighter outline when inverted?

Can anyone confirm if the works on FC6-12 connected to the FM3 or if its only on the built in mini displays?

Hi!! Thanks for everything! Amazing work guys!!
So no need to reset blocks?? I can use my previous presets as they are in firmware 4??
:) :)

I find it interesting the lack of excitement over.
"Added a “Mini-LCD Invert Mode” option under the APPEARANCE section of the FC Controllers’ Config page."
People have been asking for this since the FC foot controllers launched. Also interesting it made its debut on FM3 before anything else. At least I hope this is coming for FC6-12. I'm guessing the mini displays editable pixels don't extend all the way to the edge of the display as to why it has lighter outline when inverted?

Can anyone confirm if the works on FC6-12 connected to the FM3 or if its only on the built in mini displays?

Yes, it works on an FC-controller too.

The inverted displays make a world of difference to me.

I've just fired this up and played for 20 minutes, into the FX return for my Friedman PT20 through a Marshall 1936 2x12. It's just unreal. Higher gain amps with the power amp modelling turned off are insanely good. Plexis sound amazing, EVH tones are so easy to get. 5150 Blue 50W is a very happy place for me.

I'm not usually moved to post "this firmware sounds amazing" type posts, but it really does. The changes are subtle but fabulous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom