FM3 Firmware Version 5.00 beta 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great update by the way. I'm especially fond of the addition of the little red line on the tuner.

Perhaps someone else can confirm this but I hear a constant high pitch sound coming from the Band-Commander amp block. If I bypass or change the amp to a different model the sound goes away and it's the same with an existing preset or a new one. It's easy to test Input 1 > Amp > Output 1.

Bug on the Band Commander:

I hear also the high pitched tone, also with no Input connected - its about 3,7KHz/-50dBFS meassured with a FFT Analyzer on the initalsized Amp Block.
It changes pitch when you dial in a little change on the negative Feedback parameter. Default value is 2.95, so go to 2.7 or 3.2 and the tone is gone! I also changed the Speaker Impendance or Cathode Resistance parameter a little and the tone goes also away - very strange and not audible on other models i tried.

...also different Speaker impendance curves and their parameters change the oszillation frequency!

Last edited:
I suppose has been already reported but i cant find the maxoff drive in my fm3 neither the speaker impedance in the general setup.. Mac os catalina..

I suppose has been already reported but i cant find the maxoff drive in my fm3 neither the speaker impedance in the general setup.. Mac os catalina..
Speaker impendance curve on the FM3 Hardware: SETUP - Global Settings - Modeling - Speaker Impendance Curve

Maxoff Drive: Drives - Maxof 808

Or....you could slap a capo on after tuning down.
Actually, my point is that for about $1000 USD we got a piece of gear that emulates hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of equipment into a small unit. The FM3 does far more than my sloppy playing will ever need. I just can't see myself complaining about anything extra that is given to me for free. Especially on the lowest priced model. Sorry to anyone that was offended by my post. Personally, I am thrilled to be getting more stuff that I probably won't even get time to figure out. Peace

This is what I’ve done for years so I wouldn’t have to tune it differently all the time. I put thicker strings on it and tuned it down a whole step, then just use a capo to put it in standard/half step. Quick and easy solution.

Great uppdate Fractal! 👌🏻 Sound is even better now; tight bottom end and more alive and even more of the real feeling. I never liked the compressors before, but now they sound like I’m used to. The distortions now sounds great! Prob because of the bottom end being tighter etc. Played through and got stuck playing, but tried out the new things and verified a few things that are important to me and everything worked out fine. Only thing I’ve notice is that fm edit is extremely slow in this version (have the updated for the beta one). And a few of the of the preset I have sounded like amp modelling off first, but after selecting it again it was all fine.
Many thanks Cliff and team! 😍

Just to be curious why not every drive pedal can be added in the preamp section of the amp?
Those are only the EQ curves of drives acting as clean boosts, they're not acting like drives. A lot of drive pedals have EQ settings that would be the same as or very similar to others that are already there so the redundancy makes no sense. Occasionally new ones get added when there's something about them that is a good addition.

See p. 11 in the manual and "INPUT BOOST + TYPE + LEVEL" in the Wiki.

Those are only the EQ curves of drives acting as clean boosts, they're not acting like drives. A lot of drive pedals have EQ settings that would be the same as or very similar to others that are already there so the redundancy makes no sense. Occasionally new ones get added when there's something about them that is a good addition.

See p. 11 in the manual and "INPUT BOOST + TYPE + LEVEL" in the Wiki.
So the maxon 808 is the same as ts808 in the eq curve?

Not sure if I did something wrong when upgrading to this but now my FM3 switch one seems to be stuck on MASTERVIEW and switch 3 no longer does what it was assigned to (scene switch to 8, even though FM3 Edit seems to think it is) and similar oddnesses on my FC6.

No matter what I try and do the first switch seems to be stuck in the MASTERVIEW and the FC6 overrode what I had programmed to have Exit FX instead on one of the switches.

Any help or suggestions for clarifications welcome.

Updated yesterday and been playing non-stop since then. I noticed some parameters in Plexi 2204 had changed and I reseted the Amp block. Not sure if those changes were already made in a previous update. But…

The difference after the reset was like night and day. Suddenly that amp has this really full and satisfying low-end. Exactly like in a record I’ve tried to replicate. Previously I had to cut the low-end quite drastically to make it sound how I wanted. Can’t put my finger on what exactly changed in the mids and highs since I didn’t A-B, but my go-to preset sounds so sweet right now. Previously I didn’t like SM57 impulses I made from my real cab, but now those sound great as well. Magic!

Also digging the TS808 with the new so called holy grail diodes. One less pedal I’d had to spend ridiculous amount of money on.

Looking forward to spend some quality time with other amps as well.

I’m not 100% of the finer differences yet (haven’t read up on it yet) but the old T808 OD now uses different set of diodes (you can see this on the advanced page) which are considered to be a better version that vintage enthusiasts prefer over stock modern ones. At least that’s what I understand. The new diodes have a “T” at the end pf the name. You can switch back to the older ones and hear the difference for yourself!
Thanks for your answer. I understand the same. I try to prove the sound tomorrow

Thanks a lot for updating and improving this nice unit... i love my fm3 like on the first day

• Push-knob functions in the Block Edit have been simplified to a single page.
I perceive that as a slight step backwards in terms of usability and am not sure whether it is wise to leave it that way ;)

So the maxon 808 is the same as ts808 in the eq curve?
Good point. The 2 drives are very similar and it's redundancy with no sense too. Is a tipical sentence in this forum. I wrote a wish beacause I want the clean channels of the Amps to, and the answer was the same, and nobody knows about the hardware of diferent amps. Answers comparing the Mesa boogie clean channel with the Marshall's.....When you have an amp you want all the channels because you like the entire amp🙏

Just an FYI, I have had FM3 freeze up on me 5 times using 5.0 beta. One time I can say for sure that when using the Studio FF Compressor and setting the Knee to RMS froze it up every time applied, was just looking for difference in the sound when it froze... the other 2 times I was merely editing amp and efx settings and can't say for sure which it was that triggered the freeze up. Every time I was connected to my laptop USB to FM3 Edit. Win 10 i7 processor 16gb ram.

Last edited:
THANK YOU FRACTAL!!! The improved CPU performance of the Reverb block is a thing of BEAUTY!!!

As a reverb junky that always uses the Ultra-High setting I'm seeing major improvements! I checked three presets of mine before and after update and all three presets lowered 7% or more!! LOVING THIS!

Haven't even checked on any of the other stuff! Look forward to try out the Buttery amp.

Great update by the way. I'm especially fond of the addition of the little red line on the tuner.

Perhaps someone else can confirm this but I hear a constant high pitch sound coming from the Band-Commander amp block. If I bypass or change the amp to a different model the sound goes away and it's the same with an existing preset or a new one. It's easy to test Input 1 > Amp > Output 1.
I had something similar today. Can’t say for sure that it was on BC, but I use that one a lot. Will check tomorrow.

Just an FYI, I have had FM3 freeze up on me 5 times using 5.0 beta. One time I can say for sure that when using the Studio FF Compressor and setting the Knee to RMS froze it up every time applied, was just looking for difference in the sound when it froze... the other 2 times I was merely editing amp and efx settings and can't say for sure which it was that triggered the freeze up. Every time I was connected to my laptop USB to FM3 Edit. Win 10 i7 processor 16gb ram.
My FM3 freezes a lot of times in presets around 87 per cent in CPU when you want to change something. But in my case in firmware 4.01 too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom