FM3 Firmware Version 5.00 beta 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, that's a good point. What I guess I was saying was more along the lines of expecting FAS to go "This thing sounds so good we're gonna go ahead and book a couple of full page ads in the newspapers to further hammer it home so even dumbos like that one J-V dude on the forum take notice."
That’s reserved for the release candidate😂

• Haha
Reactions: J-V
Really nice update. Much appreciated.
  • Sometimes what seem the smallest things can be wonderful, e.g. changes to the mini-tuner.
  • The upgrades to the on-device UI for editing make what was previously onerous an absolutely useable experience. Kudos and thanks.
  • And as always, new features and enhancements are always welcome and appreciated.
When one’s expectations are set by the sound and feature set of the device one purchased, anything subsequent is gravy.

First of all THANK YOU FAS TEAM for all the awesome job done!! As far as I could test, it's wonderful.
Just a minor thing, I am having an issue with double tapping the B knob. It does not go for the Drive block. All the other knobs shortcuts are working perfectly, except the B one in my FM3. Anyone else experimenting this?

Great update by the way. I'm especially fond of the addition of the little red line on the tuner.

Perhaps someone else can confirm this but I hear a constant high pitch sound coming from the Band-Commander amp block. If I bypass or change the amp to a different model the sound goes away and it's the same with an existing preset or a new one. It's easy to test Input 1 > Amp > Output 1.

Kind of a concerning one this morning that I'm working through. When turning on it sticks on the main intro screen (FM3 / CYGNUS AMP MODELING) with no loading bar, no lighting up of the footswitches.

Anyone else with startup issues?

Nearly immediate edit: Had to unplug MIDI and USB and startup to get it functioning. Maybe a one off issue.

This is my first Beta, and I have not taken the time read through the 20 page thread, but overall it sounds amazing! Going through a cyclical Rush phase (started in '86) and the Hemisflange and Spirit Flange are great! I tried the Plex Delay and MTD and got CPU overload followed by a complete crash. I was on the Lerxst preset (of course) with all the effects turned off and it still locked up. Not a big deal for me as I don't use fancy delays or reverbs, but thought I would provide the feedback.
Effects on or off use the same amount of CPU. If you're using a lot then you may need to remove some blocks.

Fractal is known for 2-3 things primarily: The quality of the models and effects, the frequency and impact of updates and the level of customer support. I think they have also traditionally been known for the high quality of the physical hardware, so lets say 4 main things.

If FM3 updates are not "good enough", it is because they do not uphold the standard that Fractal has set for itself in this area. Unfortunately, that standard is set with the flagship products, not the lower tier products.

When people think of the great updates that Fractal products and owners enjoy, they are thinking of the Axe-FX products that are traditionally $2000USD or more, not the lower tier products. Its not that the lower products have a lousy update experience, its just lousy compared to the flagship. Its not unreasonable for a consumer to think that Fractal is Fractal if they aren't told otherwise when they buy.

I don't know how Fractal could say it, and I'm not sure there is any way to say it in a way that works, but something along the lines of

"Our flagship Axe-FX products reflect the cutting edge of our research and innovation with a rapid update pace that Fractal is known for throughout the world. Some of the resulting innovations and improvements may appear in semi-annual updates for our mainstream consumer FM3/FM9 products when resources permit, though many will not. Our relentless commitment to industry-leading tone, quality, value and support are found throughout our products whether you are purchasing our flagship or our mainstream consumer products."

Like I said, I don't know how best to say that, or if it either can be said in a good way.

I own and enjoy an FM3. I try to make peace with the idea that it is not a traditional Fractal Audio product as much as it is product that "Features Fractal Audio Technology". I still think it packs tremendous value for $1000USD
Do you know that in Europe for example it costs 1300 euros. Is a lot of money too

When that feature hit the Axe III it sounded kind of cool but I typically use Axe Edit so I never really messed with it. Had to edit on the Axe one night and discovered it's a game changer for editing on the unit. It's the bee's knees.
Now I need a new version of the manual, because in 2 years,the front panel functionality of FM3 is very different and the block's menus too, because the upgrades

Really nice update. Much appreciated.
  • Sometimes what seem the smallest things can be wonderful, e.g. changes to the mini-tuner.
  • The upgrades to the on-device UI for editing make what was previously onerous an absolutely useable experience. Kudos and thanks.
  • And as always, new features and enhancements are always welcome and appreciated.
When one’s expectations are set by the sound and feature set of the device one purchased, anything subsequent is gravy.
Absolutely agree, until the small red line came up today I even never noticed this tuner.....genious tool.

Any of you knows the difference between the last drive 808 od and the new one Maxoff 808?. Sounds better that drive of the last firmware?. And between the last 808 mod and the new vs9?. Thanks

On the unit or in the editor?

If the latter, did you Refresh After Firmware Update in the editor (assuming you updated it)? In that case, probably best to report in the editor release thread.
In the editor. Yes the editor did the refresh after the update but I am doing it again now just to see. It’s no biggie just making sure I am not going crazy 😜

Edit: Still there after refresh (Dynacomp)

1641686736634.png

Last edited:
Started working through the factory presets randomly, thinking, "this is really great!" Then I eventually made my way to the Dizzy VH4. I'd never really gelled with it. I noodled around on some silly riffs. And then, out of nowhere, I was completely swept up into the sound. The elation was similar to my first live music love (Muse's Black Holes and Revelations-era concerts). Something about the texture and richness of the sound just does it for me.

More specific feedback:
  • Updated comp block clicked with me immediately in a way the old one didn't.
  • The new types on the delays and flangers are fantastic. More of those please :)
FAS team, you continue to astound me. Thank you.

Last edited:
Started working through the factory presets randomly, thinking, "this is really great!" Then I eventually made my way to the Dizzy VH4. I'd never really gelled with it. I noodled around on some silly riffs. And then, out of nowhere, I was completely swept up into the sound. The elation was similar to my first live music love (Muse's Black Holes and Revelations-era concerts). Something about the texture and richness of the sound just does it for me.

More specific feedback:
  • Updated comp block clicked with me immediately in a way the old one didn't.
  • The new types on the delays and flangers are fantastic. More of those please :)
FAS team, you continue to astound me. Thank you.

Channel 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom