FM3 Firmware Version 5.00 beta 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would remind you that not only VC uses old algos, but all pitch block effects, including the whammy pedal and other stuff based on pitch alteration. It's strange that no one complains about old whammy algo for example
This is the part that a lot of members are missing. The VC doesn't exist in a vacuum. The pitch detection algorithm that runs it is always running in the background as the tuner and a bunch of other functions (blocks, modifiers, etc) are dependant on it. For such a high priority function, decreasing the latency would affect the performance globally, even on presets with no Pitch block.

I would love to have the AFX3's pitch algorithm on the FM3 but it didn't exist on the AFX3 when the FM3 released. The FM3 was great then and has only gotten better since, especially with the amount of features just added.

And with Cliff constantly coming up with new algorithms and optimizations for the AFX3, who knows what the future has in store for the FM3? @Admin M@ already mentioned in this thread something about a setlist feature being worked on, which would benefit the FMs more than the AFX3. I think having new FM-centric features is pretty damn exciting!

I haven't done a direct A/B comparison with 4.01 (nor will I), but the low end in 5.00b has a really nice tightness that seems like an improvement from my memory of prior versions! Could be my imagination, but I played for an hour this morning and it sounded great.

And this is what happens when something finally doesn't make it to the FM3. Fractal was very forthcoming when the FM3 was released, stating that some things would not be able to be ported from the Axe III to the FM3 due to it's processing power and/or CPU capabilities. But, people still want an Axe III for half the price and will continue to act as though they were somehow wronged or misled.

Cliff was again forthcoming and very frank in the FM3 FW 1.06 discussion when something was "taken away" to improve quality and stability:
...the FM3 is not an Axe-Fx III. There's a reason it costs less.

...It's not an Axe-Fx III. It IS, however, the most powerful device in its price range. It also has the industry's best amp modeling and effects...

...We do our best to offer the most bang for the buck and we have to weigh overall device functionality and sound quality over esoteric features....
You have to realize the FM3 has only about 1/5 the DSP power of an Axe-Fx III. Trying to fit all those goodies in there while not sacrificing audio quality is a balancing act. I ALWAYS insist on quality over quantity. That's what differentiates our products. It takes a LOT of horsepower to do it right.

I've been playing live for over 20 years and have, and had, many, many times when another tuning is needed. I either bring other guitars tuned appropriately, use a capo, or use different chord inversions to perform the songs. To say the Virtual Capo is a must have for live players is a gross exaggeration. If it were such a vital need, those complaining about the lack of the Pitch update would already be using something in it's stead and it really wouldn't be this big of a deal.

To clarify one misconception that seems to have gained traction; according to M@, the reason the Pitch block couldn't be ported at this time is NOT due to CPU limitations but rather not enough processing power. People continue to oversimplify the FM3 by thinking of it as a computer and making statements that are not true.

While editing a scene level to balance volume. I switched between scene 1 and scene 3. The unit froze up and sounded just like a guitar plugged into an interface (no amp, effect, cab, etc.) Reboot solved issue but that's a big issue going for solo and unit freezing.
That can happen when the CPU load is too high. Enabling a block, such as during scene changes, can spike the CPU, the unit gets overloaded and the interface drags. In older versions of the firmware blocks would be disabled until the unit had enough CPU free to continue and that behavior might still exist.

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=CPU_usage

There’s probably a need to confirm that the firmware behaviors are still true as we’ve had lots of releases that could have changed them. @yek, @Admin M@?

And this is what happens when something finally doesn't make it to the FM3. Fractal was very forthcoming when the FM3 was released, stating that some things would not be able to be ported from the Axe III to the FM3 due to it's processing power and/or CPU capabilities. But, people still want an Axe III for half the price and will continue to act as though they were somehow wronged or misled.

Cliff was again forthcoming and very frank in the FM3 FW 1.06 discussion when something was "taken away" to improve quality and stability:

I've been playing live for over 20 years and have, and had, many, many times when another tuning is needed. I either bring other guitars tuned appropriately, use a capo, or use different chord inversions to perform the songs. To say the Virtual Capo is a must have for live players is a gross exaggeration. If it were such a vital need, those complaining about the lack of the Pitch update would already be using something in it's stead and it really wouldn't be this big of a deal.

To clarify one misconception that seems to have gained traction; according to M@, the reason the Pitch block couldn't be ported at this time is NOT due to CPU limitations but rather not enough processing power. People continue to oversimplify the FM3 by thinking of it as a computer and making statements that are not true.
“Bingo!”

New Beta 5 sounds impossibly good. Two issues I've encountered.

1. While editing a scene level to balance volume. I switched between scene 1 and scene 3. The unit froze up and sounded just like a guitar plugged into an interface (no amp, effect, cab, etc.) Reboot solved issue but that's a big issue going for solo and unit freezing.

2. With the PlexDly block on say scene 2 or any other scene, when I switch it off or switch to a different scene where it's off, I get an odd digital signal popping sound. Even with volume off, it will make the digital pop. I've tried spillover on and off to no avail.

That can happen when the CPU load is too high. Enabling a block, such as during scene changes, can spike the CPU, the unit gets overloaded and the interface drags. In older versions of the firmware blocks would be disabled until the unit had enough CPU free to continue and that behavior might still exist.

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=CPU_usage

There’s probably a need to confirm that the firmware behaviors are still true as we’ve had lots of releases that could have changed them. @yek, @Admin M@?
Copy on overloading. I think it was running around 67-71 or so. I wasn't using any of the big CPU presets from PlexDly. But I will go back, check and see if I can reproduce the error.

I haven't had many if any hiccups ever with Fractal products so I'm not too worried once I get dialed in and some miles under the preset.

As far as the digital pop, any ideas? It's like a high pitched spike w/rapid decay.

Copy on overloading. I think it was running around 67-71 or so. I wasn't using any of the big CPU presets from PlexDly. But I will go back, check and see if I can reproduce the error.

I haven't had many if any hiccups ever with Fractal products so I'm not too worried once I get dialed in and some miles under the preset.

As far as the digital pop, any ideas? It's like a high pitched spike w/rapid decay.
Well I couldn't reproduce the freeze with overload just yet, but I figured the digital pop.

The PlexDly was switching to a different channel (A from C) the bypass was switched from "Mute FX Out" to "Mute In". Switching it to "Mute FX Out" eliminates the popping sound.

I agree w/post complaints on a different thread.

I appreciate you bothering to find those old deep cut quotes. Other folks seemed to swear they said it would always be the same

I am grateful to FAS for making the best creative tool I could have ever asked for at a very reasonable price. I have written more songs in the last 6 months than I have in over 20 years.

I installed the beta yesterday and every preset that I checked out seems cleaner with better low end. I also appreciate them constantly updating and making their products better, engaging customers, and having top notch customer service. Thanks FAS!!!
Yes!

I am grateful to FAS for making the best creative tool I could have ever asked for at a very reasonable price. I have written more songs in the last 6 months than I have in over 20 years.

I installed the beta yesterday and every preset that I checked out seems cleaner with better low end. I also appreciate them constantly updating and making their products better, engaging customers, and having top notch customer service. Thanks FAS!!!
Yes!

After the update, my headphones are working perfectly...
mine did to, but after I tried to load multiple third party cabs to see if that was fixed, it wasn't and edit crashed, now my headphone jack doesn't work. I can plug it into my interface and use my headphones, fingers crossed the actual release fixes it, I am going to try and reinstall

UPDATE AFTER REINSTALLING BETA 5 MY HEADPHONES WORK AGAIN

Last edited:
Update is fantastic! Thank you FAS.
Don't need the Capo enhanced. I have multiple guitars with different tunings. Each guitar has its own "feel" and "sound" that invokes a different type of creativity in songwriting. Also, it forces me to pick up and play all my guitars....which is damn cool. Thanks again FAS for all the hard work and keeping players like me inspired in the process.

How about gratitude (for all the great stuff in here that Cliff et al worked so hard on) instead of 17 pages of complaining about 1 thing?

Cliff, I sure hope you wouldn't take any of it personally. You totally rock. GRATITUDE

As much as we like Cliff and all the mammoth work he does, it's only but fair to give proper recognition to the "FM" team carrying all the weight behind this update (and I know Cliff has said he only gives his input here and there, but trusts in the team's independence).

So thank you @rglr @BryantP and everyone involved. Of course @Admin M@ and @Michael Pickens too!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom