FM3 Firmware Version 5.00 beta 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
So for us newbs, what is the prescribed update procedure?
  • Download new firmware
  • Make a backup
  • ?

Thanks all!
Newer to Fractal, have had the latest version FW on my FM3 since starting out. Any tips and tricks for these new FW? Do I need to update all my presets somehow? This is probably somewhere else on the forum so apologies in advance.
Did you read the release notes and the "README Firmware Update Guide.pdf"? Fractal will tell us anything we need to do.

Last edited:
Man, I am blown away with the new shimmer stuff in the plex delay block! The old "shimmer verb" setting needed to be run through a reverb to get rid of all the individual sparkles the "econo shimmer 2" is crazy good and very little CPU. I'm noticing that in the reverb block, now a selection like "nimbostratus" uses only as much CPU as "small spring" pretty amazing Fractal!

I think econo shimmer is very similar to the TC electronic Hall of Fame II pedal I had. I sold it a little while back but missed the shimmer until now!

Last edited:
...the unit is not able to power the latest generation Axe-Fx III/FM-9 pitch detection algorithm.
I hate that that's the truth, but I appreciate that someone FINALLY said it definitively so I can stop holding out hope, so thank you. It really is heartbreaking, as this was pretty much the only thing more anyone actually wanted from the unit based on many threads over the past year or so (this forum and others). The other stuff is cool, but the virtual capo is vital to us gigging musicians. It's not a big deal to offload the FM3 and go back to using the Axe Fx III full time, but I was really liking the reduced stage footprint. Oh well. I'm glad it's been put to bed and now I can decide if the FM3 will work for based on what it IS and not what I hope it will be (which is quite contrary to what I normally say about these sorts of things). I guess it's a relief to hear this, in a weird way.

Anyway, again, thanks for giving it to us straight. I have a feeling that very post will be oft quoted around the interwebs over the next few days.

What the ... i can't count how many people waited for an updated pitch.
This is really really disappointing. For me, the virtual capo is almost unusable.
Wobbly and laggy - this is all the FM3 can handle? There has to be a solution - an option to sacrifice something else to push the pitch for example.
I'm with you. Completely heartbroken about this as I had so much hope and no one - NO ONE - until this thread finally gave us a real answer...

Thanks for the updates!!!

I need some help after updating (Firmware and editor):

1- The JFET and Dynamicomp threshold are not working for me. Changing from -60 to 20db doesn't change anything. Is that by design?

2- On the delay block there is only one new type Worn Tape. Both Zephyr and Diffused Delay are missing here.

Thanks!!
For #2 use the Refresh After Firmware Update option in the editor.

Did you read the release notes and the "README Firmware Update Guide.pdf"? Fractal will tell us anything we need to do.
There's nothing in the Update Note or the attached Release Note saying anything about having to re-set the Amp block so I can only assume the changes are applied automatically to all patches / amps and there is no need to reset the Amp block coming from 4.01 (?)

Ben

I can’t mess with it till Sunday, someone chat me up about the new power amp modeling!!!
There's an tangible improvement in the lowend transient response / attack. It feels great and I'm sure it's not placebo cause some of the presets I built (and I was literally playing on 20 mins before the beta hit) feel better in post-update.

There's nothing in the Update Note or the attached Release Note saying anything about having to re-set the Amp block so I can only assume the changes are applied automatically to all patches / amps and there is no need to reset the Amp block coming from 4.01 (?)

Ben
When there is a need to reset, the release notes will call that out specifically.

seeing significant lag (several seconds) tonight when I go to add or change blocks in a preset via fm3-edit, and sometimes moving between presets. fm3edit 1.05.03.

EDIT: hmmm... and moments after I post it stops lagging. So I'll keep an eye out but let's chalk this one up to gremlins, laptop cpu, etc.. will try and grab a screen cap if it happens again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom