FM3 Firmware Version 5.00 beta 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there still hope for a set list function and new amp models?
There are always new amp models in the works, but they don’t take precedence over anything else, they have to fill a needed hole.

Fractal said set lists were in process.

Last edited:
Except for the bass amps, of course. :)

If you say so. I'm not primarily a bassist, but among modern bass amp manufacturers the trend is towards clean lightweight amps with minimal controls. Often at live shows (and even recordings) you are hearing the sound of a bass direct to the mixer split before the amp which is just used for personal monitoring. Personally, I'd like to see a Sansamp emulation but doubt I'd use much else.

If you say so. I'm not primarily a bassist, but among modern bass amp manufacturers the trend is towards clean lightweight amps with minimal controls. Often at live shows (and even recordings) you are hearing the sound of a bass direct to the mixer split before the amp which is just used for personal monitoring. Personally, I'd like to see a Sansamp emulation but doubt I'd use much else.

Word, I'd like a Sansamp sim. But a GK really is a unique flavor of bass amp (at least the RB series). It's been on lots of records.

If you say so. I'm not primarily a bassist, but among modern bass amp manufacturers the trend is towards clean lightweight amps with minimal controls. Often at live shows (and even recordings) you are hearing the sound of a bass direct to the mixer split before the amp which is just used for personal monitoring. […]
Yep. There's not much to emulate when it comes to that sort of system.

Would love to see a Sansamp ☺️ That said, I think it’s still important to add more historical bass amps. Bassists really only have Helix when it comes to bass if they want the Acoustic 360 and other variations. I really do think bass amps & cabs are an untapped vein of awesomeness for FAS.

Surely someone who can obsess over the differences between various power tube types can appreciate the difference between the tones of Aguilar, Mark Bass, David Eden, SWR, Ampeg, Hartke, Carvin, etc. I’m drooling just thinking about how amazingly FAS would model these, and I’m not really even a bass player anymore lol.

Yep. There's not much to emulate when it comes to that sort of system.
I’d have to disagree with you on that one. The difference between an Eden, GK and an Aguilar is pretty huge if you know what to listen for. The feel is also very different. Even the new small Class D heads have quite different flavors baked in. A Quilter sounds nothing like a Genz Benz, or a Mesa D 800 for instance. Having said that, I make good use of the FM3, and love it to bits (for bass), but it’s a shame about the bass amps IMO.

Last edited:
it's the second week :(
stressed-stress.gif

Word, I'd like a Sansamp sim. But a GK really is a unique flavor of bass amp (at least the RB series). It's been on lots of records.

I’d have to disagree with you on that one. The difference between an Eden, GK and an Aguilar is pretty huge if you know what to listen for. The feel is also very different. Even the new small Class D heads have quite different flavors baked in. A Quilter sounds nothing like a Genz Benz, or a Mesa D 800 for instance. Having said that, I make good use of the FM3, and love it to bits (for bass), but it’s a shame about the bass amps IMO.

Let's be clear though...the Fractal (and pretty much all guitar modelers) specific purpose is tube emulation. While I certainly understand how analog circuit differences result in different sounds, there is very little in modern music in terms of truly unique to the point of being iconic bass tones outside some of the heaviest genres, we're talking clean tones and not what the typical guitarist calls clean, really and truly clean. While I certainly appreciate a bassist's appreciation of the differences between systems, just like with guitar amps, so much of that is impacted by the speaker choice where again for quite some time many bassists have been running full range (or at least fuller range than guitar cabs) systems. I imagine using the JC120 model and swapping/tuning the EQ and some of the compression characteristics one is going to be able to get very, very close to many of the solid state modern bass amp tones.

To be clear, I'm all for anything added to the Fractal model list which helps anyone achieve their goals. Perhaps just being selfish here, I believe bassist's are probably a very small fraction of Fractal users.

Let's be clear though...the Fractal (and pretty much all guitar modelers) specific purpose is tube emulation. While I certainly understand how analog circuit differences result in different sounds, there is very little in modern music in terms of truly unique to the point of being iconic bass tones outside some of the heaviest genres, we're talking clean tones and not what the typical guitarist calls clean, really and truly clean. While I certainly appreciate a bassist's appreciation of the differences between systems, just like with guitar amps, so much of that is impacted by the speaker choice where again for quite some time many bassists have been running full range (or at least fuller range than guitar cabs) systems. I imagine using the JC120 model and swapping/tuning the EQ and some of the compression characteristics one is going to be able to get very, very close to many of the solid state modern bass amp tones.

To be clear, I'm all for anything added to the Fractal model list which helps anyone achieve their goals. Perhaps just being selfish here, I believe bassist's are probably a very small fraction of Fractal users.
I absolutely am able to achieve a lot of great bass tones with the fm3, sometimes doing what you suggest here. Swapping, tuning and what have you. I just think that it would be sweet to have a few modern bass rigs ready to go without having to go deep into tweak mode. Iconic or not, there are quite a few very usable tones that I for one would love to be included. As for the bass players being a small fraction of Fractal users, I’m sure you’re right. It doesn’t HAVE to be that way though. Make it more appealing than a Helix "out of the box", and the numbers could go way up.

Man I feel like this forum hates bass players lmao. Yeah I totally want to run my bass through a Roland Jazz Chorus.

Man I feel like this forum hates bass players lmao. Yeah I totally want to run my bass through a Roland Jazz Chorus.

Take the JC120 model, turn off preamp sag (not sure if it's on for this model anyway), swap the tone stack for USA Bass, turn off power amp modeling, add the 4X10 Aluminum Bass IR, add the studio FF comp with a ratio around 4. Are you still playing through a JC 120? IF you can't get over the idea that it's still a JC, use the Tube Pre model. One can pretty much custom build any single gain stage amp, ss or tube, with these 2 models using this type of process.

So again...I'm all for anything added to the Fractal model list which helps anyone achieve their goals. I'm certainly not against adding new models but using the tools at hand goes a long, long way to getting where one wants to be tonally. Historically when I've tracked bass, I've never miced up a bass amp always run direct, maybe that's why I'm looking at it like this with the FM3 functioning as a near infinite option preamp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom