FM3 Firmware Version 4.01

I had so much fun jammin' yesterday with the current FW that I consider the next FW a luxury. But we know there will be a new FW eventually and I'm looking forward. I would rather let the FAS team have a restful holiday than push them into stressful deadlines.

Who of you still really believes in an update?
one has more and more the impression that the fm3 is no longer supported
Please do not start this sort of passive-aggressive whining. Every couple months someone will say it hoping to jar an update out of Fractal for whichever product they favor. Fractal will release code when it’s ready.

Fractal is a very busy small company that has three very good, and popular, modelers. They are committed to maintaining them and keeping them in sync as much as the hardware will allow. They’ve gone on record having said so, so we can trust them to do it.

And, BTW, they also turn out more significant updates in a year for their products than any company I’ve ever seen, especially ones with much bigger teams and deeper pockets.

there is also a good efficiency logic to this order:
1) develop, test, release, and fix new features and new code on the AXIII.
2) port the debugged code to the different processor on the FM9; see what can and can’t be done on that architecture; adapt to the FM9 user interface as necessary.
3) test how the FM9 code works on the less powerful FM3; adjust as necessary to optimize and drop features where the FM3 doesn’t have enough processing power or storange; adapt to the FM3 interface as necessary.

it seems to me that fractal learned a couple things from the AX8 experience and has designed its development environment with this flow and updating process in mind. So past experience with AX8 updates, where the lead coder seems to have been critical to the process and left fractal, may not be as relevant.

also worth noting that FM3 4.01 and FM9 1.00 are both remarkably stable firmware versions without major bugs. That speaks well for the process and reduces the urgency to get new firmware out with less beta test and debugging time.

Last edited:
The morning of December 25th😉🎅🏻
I get it

BUT...

I don't think FAS drops a FW when out of the office so if this board lights up with an issue right away where they need to pull it off the server. Yeah they could probably do that from anywhere but they're gonna want to Christmas Morning on Christmas morning, not be on a laptop looking for show-stopper bug reports.

Not to mention Christmas is on a Saturday and they're not going to be working, holiday or not.

More importantly, how do we get in on this private beta testing? I did a little of it in May of 2020 when it was still new, but I think @Admin M@ just hit me up on Facebook because I was discussing some issues I was having... In any case, FAS team, if you need more beta testers, picture me as a your beautiful wife lying on the bed in lingerie waiting for you to come home... to make me test stuff(?).

I'm not sure exactly what that imagery is supposed to conjure up, but I am certain even I got a little queasy picturing it. Regardless; can't wait for this new FW :)

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you all share one wife... but if you do, I'm not here to judge ;)

Last edited:
Ack...good and bad news. A second round means some bugs were identified in the initial beta, hopefully everything is solid moving forward.
The second round of FM3 beta was due to the latest features of the Axe III/FM9 being added to FM3 5.0 AFAIK.

The FM9 2.x is having some problems, mostly editor related, so that might be an issue for the FM3 as well?

The second round of FM3 beta was due to the latest features of the Axe III/FM9 being added to FM3 5.0 AFAIK.

The FM9 2.x is having some problems, mostly editor related, so that might be an issue for the FM3 as well?

It was mentioned on Dec 8th a second private beta was happening "this week or next". I guess technically Dec 18th is technically "next week" from Dec 8th but my impression was this was the 2nd iteration of private beta post post the Dec 8th announcement.

The public beta will be released when it is released.

Whoa....mind blown.

giphy.gif

More importantly, how do we get in on this private beta testing? I did a little of it in May of 2020 when it was still new, but I think @Admin M@ just hit me up on Facebook because I was discussing some issues I was having... In any case, FAS team, if you need more beta testers, picture me as a your beautiful wife lying on the bed in lingerie waiting for you to come home... to make me test stuff(?).

Thanks for creeping us all out. ;)

Back
Top Bottom