FM3 Firmware Version 4.01

Your copy of the amp could be different from Fractal’s copy. This is why some people buy the same gear as their heroes and still don’t sound the same with the real gear too.
Yes, that was my understandig as well. But is there a parameter to control it a little bit? Maybe some tube hardness etc.?

• Added “Presets” Utilities page to upgrade Presets stored in flash to the currently installed firmware version. When executed, all presets stored in flash with an older version of the firmware will be upgraded to the currently installed firmware version and automatically re-saved to flash. This process can take up to 20 minutes but will speed up preset changes. NOTE: backup your presets before using this utility.
1. Do I must upgrade the presets stored?
2. If I do, does it change the sound so I need to readjust the preset?

• The Global Performance Controls from Amp 1 have a new layout with Drive, Master, and Level in one row. To see this change, you would need to perform Reset System Parameters (NOTE: This action resets all system parameters and will also initialize Footswitch Layouts.)
1. As I'm defiantly do not want a system reset nor my preset to change, its not a must to perform this and the result is that I will not see the new feature, correct?

The only thing I'm worried is my setup to change both layouts and presets.

Hey Randall....yup...still here. Had a great outdoor gig with FM3 recently, fantastic.
Did you say Pitch block ??? UI improvements ?? :) that be real nice :)
but maybe working own squeeeezing Super Res ? ....@Teddis ducks.........

1. As I'm defiantly do not want a system reset nor my preset to change, its not a must to perform this and the result is that I will not see the new feature, correct?

1. No, you do not have to perform this step.
2. No, it doesn't change the sound, but helps the system to work faster.
3. Correct, you will not see this feature unless you reset the system parameters (again, no change to sounds, but it would possibly alter a layout).

The first thing updates the presets in memory so changing presets is faster. This doesn’t change anything in presets.

The 2nd thing is just to change what appears on Perform Pages, which you can adjust yourself to anything, so you don’t need to really reset just for that.

Hey Randall....yup...still here. Had a great outdoor gig with FM3 recently, fantastic.
Nah i think Full res will be a ways out if it comes to FM3 maybe the FM9 as it has an extra cab block

not sure what next update will be
i think maybe UI or pitch block
the pitch is really the only thing left to match the AF3 I think
even if they could not do the whole pitch block maybe a simplified virtual or capo cable of a semitone or 2 shift would be possible

I’m definitely looking forward to some kind of IU improvements like a text zoom. @Admin M@ any chance something like this is in the works?

the pitch is really the only thing left to match the AF3 I think
even if they could not do the whole pitch block maybe a simplified virtual or capo cable of a semitone or 2 shift would be possible

let me foot stomp that. Pitch shift optimized for +- one step or two steps would be great.

hat would cover most of the use cases and might be a lower CPU implementatio.

@FractalAudio Just a small note on the 5150 model.. I had some fun this weekend with the real amp and got a DI out signal from the head while plugged into a standard Marshall 4x12 B straight cab. Applied the cab in the FM3 afterwards.

I did a comparison with the FM3 and it looks like it is a little rougher sounding than the real deal. I can do a sound clip of this. Basically the thing that you described as rubbing two rocks vs rubbing sandpaper. The 5150 in Cygnus is amazing, but should be a little less rough sounding in the low end and more squishy. Otherwise it's insane!
There are some good articles from Fractal that discuss this:

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/...ur_amp_doesn.27t_sound_like_Fractal_Audio.27s
https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/...le.2C_intermodulation.2C_crossover_distortion

Tolerance difference between components can make two versions of the same amp sound different, the Fletcher Munson effect can make them sound different even with a tiny difference in volume, whether you are listening to the speaker(s) on or off-axis, etc.

The important thing though is that the FAS firmware gives us the ability to adjust the components in the modeled amp and make it sound like our idealized version, including the “rough sounding” and “squishy”. The mentioned Amp Block article has lots of references to discussions in the forums that talk about how to fine tune models to your taste. The tech notes give us insights into how the firmware lets us adjust parameters too.

To all - for various reasons, I haven't played guitar or used my FM3 for more than 6 months now (regretfully). I'm about to change that. My FM3 is currently running version 3.0, and I see 4.01 is the newest firmware. Any harm in jumping from 3.0 to 4.01? Any risk to my existing presets (the stock ones that have always been there plus a few dozen I've tweaked/created over time)? Thank you.

To all - for various reasons, I haven't played guitar or used my FM3 for more than 6 months now (regretfully). I'm about to change that. My FM3 is currently running version 3.0, and I see 4.01 is the newest firmware. Any harm in jumping from 3.0 to 4.01? Any risk to my existing presets (the stock ones that have always been there plus a few dozen I've tweaked/created over time)? Thank you.
You can go directly to any firmware version. It does not need to be incremental. You can also revert to any prior version. When reverting you may lose the ability to utilize some presets if developed with a higher firmware version (so it's not a bad idea to make a back up of presets before any upgrade).

You will need to reset your amps for presets you've developed. I suggest downloading the latest factory presets as they are already reset for you for the stock ones.

For questions about amp resets: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...wanted-to-know-about-resetting-an-amp.173317/

Last edited:
I am noticing several presets are over CPU usage after the update. For example, I stumbled upon 036 - TUCANA — Carol-Ann Tucana 3 which is a great one imo. I saw that it started clipping due to CPU overage and had to delete some of the blocks to bring the usage down. Is there any other remedy to this problem? I know it's probably technically impossible, but it would be great to have bypassed blocks to not contribute to CPU usage.

I have done all of the steps regarding upgrading the firmware and utilizing the preset utility. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!!

I am noticing several presets are over CPU usage after the update. For example, I stumbled upon 036 - TUCANA — Carol-Ann Tucana 3 which is a great one imo. I saw that it started clipping due to CPU overage and had to delete some of the blocks to bring the usage down. Is there any other remedy to this problem? I know it's probably technically impossible, but it would be great to have bypassed blocks to not contribute to CPU usage.

I have done all of the steps regarding upgrading the firmware and utilizing the preset utility. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!!
Interesting that you mention that preset, because that has become my go to preset and I have had no problems. Did you run the Preset Utility?

Yes, I sure did. I will run it again when I get home and see if it changes. Will let you know. I just stumbled upon it. The clean with reverb and chorus sound amazing!

Back
Top Bottom