FM3 Firmware Version 4.00

Howdy folks,
I joined the Fractal family last Wednesday, 07/14/2021. A red-letter day for sure!

I love King's X. I was working at a CD store when Dogman came out and I was stunned by the huge changes from their previous albums. It was so stripped down and brutal, it probably spent the longest time in my car over anything else and is still my go-to album when I just want to get my a** kicked.

Living in NC, and trying to make a start as a musicians in the Raleigh area, my friends and I were super excited by Ty landing an endorsement with the late Ken Hoover's Zion guitars (based out of nearby Greensboro, NC). It was neat. Just about everyone I know has their own Zion stories. I've got a pretty darn good one myself that I could share in the Guitars forum (the guitar in my av is a very special Zion that landed in my Dad's collection and, thirty-odd years later, in mine. Don't worry, Dad's ok and enjoying my MIM Tele with Lindy Fralins in it; so he's happy.)

One of my buddies' friends worked at Zion, and my friend asked them a ton of questions surrounding this gear pairing (the Ty Tabor Zion and the Dual Rec.) and one small tidbit we learned was just how frustrated Ty was trying to get the Recto and the Joe Barden pickups in that Zion to play well together. The gist of what we heard seemed to be there was just a very tiny sweet-spot in the pickup heights that "worked" for Ty with this amp.

I've never read about Marshalls being mixed into Dogman. Given the incredibly raw nature of the mix I would expect one to stand out, but if it's there I couldn't say. What we do know is the next album, Ear Candy, was mostly Marshall (30th Anniversary?) Seems like Ty couldn't wait to switch.

To be totally honest, Ear Candy is about where King's X and I lose touch. Tape Head had some great tunes but I think the guitars sound terrible. The ART and the PODs of that era do nothing for me. After that it... doesn't seem get a lot better (to my ears).

And a little lol - Just realized that's Leon posting about my favorite band (I'm very new here, making my first post). Totally makes sense because I watched and re-watched a bunch of Leon's vids as I was psyching myself up to buy an FM3 and was curious about him playing Drop-D tuning so often. Thanks, Leon, for helping me dive into my FM3 on day one.)

Sorry, not trying to derail the thread! Just really glad to finally be here.

E: typos
Back in the day I was "this close" to pulling the trigger on a Zion several times.

When I change the scene during a performance (in case of a different type of reverb),
I hear a tearing noise for a moment. Is there a solution? Or am I doing something wrong?
ex)hall rev > plate rev
Same here, it's very annoying.

Edit: I documented this on the wiki for you https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Firmware#Rolling_Back_to_Older_Firmware

----------

Old firmware can usually be found here: http://archive.axefx.fr/

You'll also want to save the old editor because you'll need that if you roll back to older firmware.

Take a complete back up of your system before you upgrade. Note the firmware you're on so you can restore the correct firmware. To roll back:

• Install the old firmware
  • Reboot
  • Switch back to the old PC/Mac editor software that aligns with the old firmware
  • Install your old system settings backup
  • Reboot
  • Install your old bank backups
  • Install your old IR back backups
  • Reboot
Now updated to Firmware 4 using your guidance above- all went well thankyou .

Had to reset amp blocks on 2 of my presets but very straightforward .

Cygnus models sound even better than Ares.

best wishes
Nick

@winhaha , @jwoertz
Keep the Reverb quality and echo density the same between your channels. Changing one of those two settings is causing noise on channel switch, from my experience.
Would love to see a note about this in the blocks guide :)
I have been trying your suggestion with a simple chain of INPUT-AMP-CAB-REVERB-OUTPUT

The only change I have done in every scene is select different values for the Reverb quality and the Echo density (in different channels of the Reverb block).

I have tried several types of reverbs, changing both parameters in different channels, and also changing only one parameter per channel.

The result is that I get noises when changing scenes with some types of reverbs, and everything goes fine with another ones.

So I wonder if this is a bug that FAS should check. It seems a strange behaviour.

I actually had this reported some time ago, I think it was tagged „not a bug“.
That was the only finding I had solving this problem for the types I usually use (keeping both quality and density at the same values). Didn’t expect that this doesn’t solve it for certain types :/

I have been trying your suggestion with a simple chain of INPUT-AMP-CAB-REVERB-OUTPUT

The only change I have done in every scene is select different values for the Reverb quality and the Echo density (in different channels of the Reverb block).

I have tried several types of reverbs, changing both parameters in different channels, and also changing only one parameter per channel.

The result is that I get noises when changing scenes with some types of reverbs, and everything goes fine with another ones.

So I wonder if this is a bug that FAS should check. It seems a strange behaviour.
Same here, I messed around with it today and couldn't get the glitches to stop when switching between scenes with different reverbs.

If you change temporal parameters in any time based effects while they’re active, you are going to get audio artifacts. The only workaround I can think of would be to use duplicate blocks.

If you change temporal parameters in any time based effects while they’re active, you are going to get audio artifacts. The only workaround I can think of would be to use duplicate blocks.
The issue is related to switching channel, not changing parameters. There are parameters that change during scene switching, but there should be no glitch or noise (the silence or gap are there for this reason).

But that wasn't a good sound.
You are failing to understand the difference between opinion and fact.

You didn’t like it. Fine. If someone else does, they aren’t wrong.

So your “I don’t understand why he even made this video. It sounds so bad” comes off very poorly. Don’t assume people make things just to satisfy you, or that your opinion is the only one that’s valid.

You are failing to understand the difference between opinion and fact.

You didn’t like it. Fine. If someone else does, they aren’t wrong.

So your “I don’t understand why he even made this video. It sounds so bad” comes off very poorly. Don’t assume people make things just to satisfy you, or that your opinion is the only one that’s valid.
Yeah...I do not understand the point of that video.
I actually canceled my Quad Cortex and bought the FM3 a few months ago based partly on his videos and the great guitar tones he gets out of the unit.

If I were shopping now, and the only vid I saw was this one...my decision would have been different.

How about you? Did you think that was a great guitar tone? Would you walk onstage at a live gig with that particular tone? (I play classic rock by the way...lot of 80's stuff, and no way would I do that)

What was your opinion of it?
All music is subjective of course. But my point was...why would he conjure up a tone like that, when we all know he is very good at getting GREAT tones (of course you'll say that all of his great tones are just "opinion" too)

Yeah...I do not understand the point of that video.
I actually canceled my Quad Cortex and bought the FM3 a few months ago based partly on his videos and the great guitar tones he gets out of the unit.

If I were shopping now, and the only vid I saw was this one...my decision would have been different.

How about you? Did you think that was a great guitar tone? Would you walk onstage at a live gig with that particular tone? (I play classic rock by the way...lot of 80's stuff, and no way would I do that)

What was your opinion of it?
All music is subjective of course. But my point was...why would he conjure up a tone like that, when we all know he is very good at getting GREAT tones (of course you'll say that all of his great tones are just "opinion" too)

My opinion is that the tone sounds, shockingly enough, like a Dual Rec. And no, I didn’t think it sounded bad. It also shows a number of ways to tweak your amp tones to change them in various ways.

We get it, you didn’t like it. Move on. Recognize that not everyone shares your opinion. Recognize that the video, like probably a lot more things that you dislike in life, might have more value to others than to you.

My opinion is that the tone sounds, shockingly enough, like a Dual Rec. And no, I didn’t think it sounded bad. It also shows a number of ways to tweak your amp tones to change them in various ways.

We get it, you didn’t like it. Move on. Recognize that not everyone shares your opinion. Recognize that the video, like probably a lot more things that you dislike in life, might have more value to others than to you.
There is no "we". You don't speak for everyone anymore than I do (as you pointed out).
As for telling me to "Move on."
Hey...you might not have noticed this as you were lecturing me...but I've only replied to people since my first comment.
I "moved on" days ago.

Just like now...I'm replying to you.

And I'll ask you again...would you take that exact tone and walk onstage and play a pro gig with it?

Personally I would not.
If you would...then good for you!

Now, I will once again "move on" until you or another person finds it necessary to tell me that my opinion that Leon Todd usually makes awesome tones on his Fractal, but didn't on this one video is all wrong.
Then I'll reply again.

That's what discussions are, right?

Back
Top Bottom