FM3 Firmware Version 4.00

This is so good, so real; I have phantom tingles in my hands; some kind of sensory PTSD from playing in questionably grounded buildings through the 80s/90s.

I find myself forgetting I am not playing thru an amp; it is really bizarre, in a good way. The 80s presets with low fidelity effects remind me so much of Quadraverb, Midiverb, Boss VF-1, and their ilk...

We have crossed the uncanny valley rubicon.

While I am sure you have probably already tried lowering the various Bias excursion params. I thought it was still worth a mention. Reducing bias excursion should make the amp less fizzy. With Cygnus, more bias excursion can be used. Previously, on the more recent Cygnus updates for the FXIII, some models didn't receive the correct bias excursion for those particular amp models. It might help if they which amp models gave you trouble.

Well, I just tried out my own advice on the 090 Bludojai preset with the Bludojai Lead. And, I got nowhere -- even after reducing the preamp, PI and power tube bias excursions to zero. I am not sure if my little experiment is meaningful or not.

But, in any case, let Fractal know which amp models you wanted to use and were unable tweak into an acceptable sound. It will help them figure things out sooner. I have to say. My experience with the Bludojai Lead in preset 090 was pretty dismal in comparison to the other amps and presets I have been trying out. All my other experiences have been pretty great. It may be that this is only a problem for a few amp models. But, as always the more details you can tell them the better.
Plexi 100W

It’s pretty obvious that Cygnus is a modelling algorithm so thanks for pointing that out..but those Cygnus updates do come via FIRMWARE updates so not sure what you are trying to prove? Your Fractal supremeness?!!

#pedantic
What a snide remark. Unix has helped a ton of users and quiet truthfully, a lot of members would’ve just told you to add it to the wish list.

And to use a hashtag just to make you come off as even more of a grump is so uncalled for.

Thank you Unix. To me you are one of the Fractal Supremes!

What a snide remark. Unix has helped a ton of users and quiet truthfully, a lot of members would’ve just told you to add it to the wish list.

And to use a hashtag just to make you come off as even more of a grump is so uncalled for.

Thank you Unix. To me you are one of the Fractal Supremes!
Not going to clog up this thread with this, just to say that I think the response I had came across as a little patronising was “so uncalled for” and it’s happened a few times on here - not just him, I guess he caught me on my “grump” (I don’t particularly care for that either but hey I’ll leave that go)

I’m sure Unix is a very helpful guy and props to him for sharing his knowledge with you all.

A simple “hey, add it to the wish list” would have been sufficient, to try and pull someone up on how a question was asked or worded is something else.

If you have beef with me,take it away from the purpose of this thread, otherwise just get on with your day, put me on your ignore list, whatever…I’m sure there’s worse going on and this is a public forum after all….

:wq! (Possibly only Unix would get that..)

:wq! (Possibly only Unix would get that..)
:x saves two keystrokes ;)

On-topic--I installed 4.0 Friday night and have been playing with it when I get time. I'm incredibly impressed with what I'm hearing, both with my own presets and the updated factory presets.

My two favorite series of amps are the Mesa Mark series and classic Fender blackface amps. I've owned a few of both over the years and have tried my best to recreate my favorite tones on the FM3. I was happy with what I had come up with on previous firmware revisions, but I've noticed that Cygnus has made it orders of magnitude easier to dial things in. I'm sure that it's partially because I basically started over and rebuilt my old presets (rather than just resetting the amp blocks), but the tones I can get from the Mark IV model are astonishing.

Last edited:
Ok, so I waited for the official release of Cygnus for the FM3 and honestly I didn't expect that much - I thought "Well, how much closer can they get...".

I am actually blown away. Cygnus does make a huge difference - feels like the FM3 came alive. Especially all the boutique / vintage amps sound incredibly organic and "full" now. Hard to describe in words. For anyone on the fence or thinking it's just hype - yes, it is hype. Because yes, it's THAT good.

Does the fan sound okay during startup for each of you? That is to say, no crickets etc?
@BryantP:

Yes, my fan cycles once strongly during power-up, but shuts off once the system is booted and footswitch mini-displays are viewable...no clicking or other reported issues as with previous beta versions...

Has any one had a chance to check the preset I posted (#219) regarding the pitch block problem? @BryantP

FYI, the pitch block diatonic scales are off in my factory presets too (the latest version) so it's not the preset, def in the pitch block

I was on the FM3 waiting list for I think a year. When I got it, I was sorta "hmmmm" about it. Before then I had an original Axe FX which I sold long ago.

I waited on installing the Cygnus firmware, but watched all the videos. I play through an Atomic FRFR and had never been all that happy with the Fractal before. Something just didn't feel right. The videos I watched didn't seem to make much of a difference between Cygnus and the prior versions, but I knew that might be Youtube compression.

Today I played it a little on the old firmware and then, after getting the feeling for it, went ahead and installed the 4.0 update.

The difference was immediate. I love how my FM3 sounds now! It was like it all opened up. Modeling is still not 100% there for me, but I feel like I might just have some settings to tune, but I am very happy I could hear and feel a real difference that made me want to play. That's the important bit, right? Making you want to play more?

Power Tubes Bias Excursion Values:

Could we please get some confirmation on what are the correct Bias Excursion values for these models? Are the values in FW 4.00 final, or are there potential errors?

In FW 4.00, some of the Class-A(ish) amp models have their bias excursion values set as 0.0%. Some amps, such as the Match D-30 or Class-A 30W, have ~100.0% for one channel/model, and 0.0% for the other. During FW 4.00 B1, the Power Tubes Bias Excursion parameter when away entirely for many models before returning in the later 4.00 Betas. Some of these models had their values drop by as many as 136.0% (Blankenship), while others rose by 60.0% (Div/13 CJ).

Most of the FW 3.xx values were ~50.0-54.0%. I noticed that after upgrading to FW 4.00 B1, when importing old presets, their Bias Excursions valued doubled. The list below has an "adjusted" column to show this automatic doubling, which makes the 3.xx values easier to compare to the 4.xx values.

hXIXCJ4.jpg

@Admin M@ @BryantP @rglr

Last edited:
Whenever I go on the stock preset 244 Horrorfest fm3 ...the preset works but I can't do anything else. Have to reboot while holding the home button in order to regain control.
Fw 4.0

Attachments

• 20210622_190348.jpg
    20210622_190348.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 14
Whenever I go on the stock preset 244 Horrorfest fm3 ...the preset works but I can't do anything else. Have to reboot while holding the home button in order to regain control.
Fw 4.0
I have the preset on now, I can load, play change scenes and the exit to another preset, I'm using FC6 w/OMG9 layout.

After playing around with the firmware 4.00 I find that all the boutique and vintage amps sound really great and that the modern high gain amp seem to sound kind of dull and flubby with lower gain on tap even with a ts808 engaged.

I'm confident future firmware updates will sort it out.

Anyone else notice presets or amps seem quieter in the new firmware? Is there a global setting for this or should I just turn up the output knob?

Fw 4.0
same here..
if i reset system paramaters it works.
doing restore of my system settings - same again - Horrorfest freezes FM3..
I've sent my settings to BryantP... he will check it out if he got time...

Anyone else notice presets or amps seem quieter in the new firmware? Is there a global setting for this or should I just turn up the output knob?

Check your global settings. From the first post in this thread:

▪ Added: Output 2 now has both “Unity Gain” and “Line Level” modes, each with their own sub parameters. A short guide follows after these release notes.
...​

GUIDE TO FM3 OUTPUT 2 UNITY GAIN & LINE LEVEL OPERATION
Output 2 of the FM3 is now able to provide your choice of either unity gain or line level output. The following short guide will help you to make the required settings for either use case.​
UNITY GAIN
To use FM3 Out 2 in unity gain applications, such as when connecting to a tube amp or certain pedals, confirm the following settings in the "Output 2 Configuration" section under SETUP: I/O: Audio​
▪ Output Type: Unity Gain​
▪ Boost/Pad: This optional setting may be increased to lower the noise floor. This can be useful, for example, when connecting to a "gainy" tube amp. Be careful however, as higher settings can cause clipping in the FM3. Watch the Status LEDs and reduce preset levels or turn this setting down if needed.​
▪ Output 2 Copy: Typically, "None", but there are also applications for copying "IN 1" to OUT 2, such as when recording an analog DI at unity gain via Out 2 while also recording the processed signal via Out 1. Remember though that placing an OUT2 block on the grid will override any Output 2 Copy setting, passing instead whatever audio is sent to the block. Other settings such as Level, Boost/Pad, etc. are not affected by the presence of the OUT2 grid block.​
▪ Set Out 2 Mode and Phase as desired. See the FM3 Owner's Manual for additional details.​
For Unity Gain applications, set the Out 2 top panel knob fully clockwise to the highest setting.​
LINE LEVEL
To use FM3 Out 2 for Line Level applications — such as when connecting to FRFR guitar speakers, studio monitors, mixers, etc., confirm the following settings in the "Output 2 Configuration" section under SETUP: I/O: Audio​
▪ Output Type: Line Level​
▪ Output Level: -10dBV or +4dBu (most pro devices operate at +4)​
▪ Output 2 Copy: As desired: "None”, or "Out 1" if you want Out 2 to reproduce the signal at Out 1 without needing an OUT2 grid block. You could use this, for example, when connecting to personal monitors via Out 2 while Out 1 is connected to a house PA. Remember though that placing an OUT 2 block on the grid will override the COPY OUT 2 setting, passing instead whatever audio is sent to the grid block. Other settings such as Output 2 Level (+4/-10) are not affected by the presence of the Out 2 block.​
▪ Set Out 2 Mode and Phase as desired. See the FM3 Owner's Manual for additional details.​
For Line Level applications, set the Out 2 top panel knob as desired, starting fully counterclockwise and then increasing gradually until the desired output level is achieved.​

Back
Top Bottom