FM3 Firmware Version 4.00 beta 2

Ok, I keep in silence, sorry :(
Edit:
PS: I don't need the function for cab, I just posted it because I think it's a bug.
Yes no problem. Thank you for posting it as I never caught this bug before this. No need to stay silent. However, I have explained that the function isn’t intended to control the cab block.

If you do want this function for the cab, create a wish list thread describing it.

target amp1 means the level of the amp and amp2 means the level of the cab.

This is not correct.
Amp1 is Amp block 1.
Amp 2 is Amp Block 2 (available on the Axe-Fx III only, so that may be our tacit bug.)
Neither of these affects the Cab.
This function has nothing to do with the Cab.
The cab level cannot be set by an FC function.
The FC never "reads" levels of amp or cab.

It was displaying it correctly in firmware 3.01. That's what I said it's a bug
I think you have it backwards... It sounds like it was a bug in 3.01 that the Amp 2 (or Both) option would operate on the Cab block, when it should not have.

Now, it no longer does... So bug fixed.

I can see how you could consider it the other way if you were not aware of expected behavior and you liked how it worked before ;)

This is not correct.
Amp1 is Amp block 1.
Amp 2 is Amp Block 2 (available on the Axe-Fx III only, so that may be our tacit bug.)
Yeah - the bug would really seem to be that Amp2 is an option for the setting when used with the FM3 :)

This is not correct.
Amp1 is Amp block 1.

The big display of my FC6 shows the level of the amp and the level of the cab every time I press the footswitch. That's what I mean with "read the level".

AMP1 Example:
amp level is at -10.0
I press the footswitch with function amp1 -2dB (footswitch 6 of FC6)
the big display of FC6 shows, in 2 lines, the following:
Amp
Level: -12.0 dB

I go to the amp level in editor or unit and put the level at 0
I press the footswitch with function amp1 -2dB
Amp
Level: -2.0 dB

AMP2 Example:

cab level is at -10.0
I press the footswitch with function amp2 -2dB (footswitch 6 of FC6)
Cabinet
Level: 0.0 dB

I go to the cab level in editor or unit and put the level at -2
I press the footswitch with function amp2 -2dB
Cabinet
Level: 0.0 dB

AMP1+2 Example:

amp level is at -10.0
cab level is at -10.0
I press the footswitch with function amp1and2 -2dB (footswitch 6 of FC6)
Amp Level: -12.0 dB
Cabinet Level: 0.0 dB

I go to the amp level in editor or unit and put the level at -2
I press the footswitch with function amp2 -2dB
Amp Level: -2.0 dB
Cabinet Level: 0.0 dB

I was changing level of cabs in version 3.01 with this function if my mind is not totally crazy, so that's what I posted this as a bug, because Cab level is always at 0.0dB.

If it's not a bug, and cab should not be controlled by this function, probably it would be good to remove "amp2" and "amp1and2" from the menu options.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your post!!!!! Hope we can finish talking of this issue!!!:D

Last edited:
A number of users have reported potential operating temperature issues. Here is some data from my FM3.

CPU usage: approx 65%
Temperature reported by FM3: 129F/54.5C
Temperature at exhaust port on left side of unit: 98.8F/37.1C

The temperature reported by the FM3 oscillates from approximately 52C to 56C while FM3-Edit reports 65% CPU. The exhaust port temperature was measured with a ThermoWorks IRK-2 infrared thermometer gun.

I have no idea what nominal temperatures should be. And, I did not check these temperatures until Beta-2, so I do not know how these measurements compare to previous firmware versions. Finally, at these temperatures I do not detect any fan noise.

Yes no problem. Thank you for posting it as I never caught this bug before this. No need to stay silent. However, I have explained that the function isn’t intended to control the cab block.

If you do want this function for the cab, create a wish list thread describing it.
I was joking with the silence!! But I was agree with unix-guy that we were talking too much of this issue!
I will not make the wish, I don't need that function!! :)

A number of users have reported potential operating temperature issues. Here is some data from my FM3.

CPU usage: approx 65%
Temperature reported by FM3: 129F/54.5C
Temperature at exhaust port on left side of unit: 98.8F/37.1C

The temperature reported by the FM3 oscillates from approximately 52C to 56C while FM3-Edit reports 65% CPU. The exhaust port temperature was measured with a ThermoWorks IRK-2 infrared thermometer gun.

I have no idea what nominal temperatures should be. And, I did not check these temperatures until Beta-2, so I do not know how these measurements compare to previous firmware versions. Finally, at these temperatures I do not detect any fan noise.

How many time with the unit on?

this thread is interesting for temperature and fan issue:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/so-is-this-temperature-normal.163364/#post-1957953

Some highlights:
“A note about CPU temps: the fan now operates at different thresholds than when the ambient temperature was used. It should now spin up at 60°C, switch to high speed at 70°C, and turn off when the temperature drops below 55°C.

“A good CPU temperature for gaming stands between 70 to 80 degrees Celsius (158-176°F).”

With the 4.0 beta-2, I also hear the fan starting for a few secs every so often - e.g. with CPU at 60%, temp at 131 F / 55 C.
The rightmost scribble strip was very faint after 1st reboot, but returned at the next power on.

Now how do you deal with re-tuning your amps, after the Soft Reset? For example, I noticed that after Soft Resetting, the Presence and Saturation Drive were changed (whereas the other settings on the Ideal page remained the same). Would you then manually set the old values for these two parameters? And for any others like the Output EQ which is essential for the Mesa Boogies?
Ideally, I would just like the same sound for each amp as with 3.01 - only in Cygnus quality :)

Would you copy each preset first, before re-tuning, so you can always reference the old settings?

this thread is interesting for temperature and fan issue:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/so-is-this-temperature-normal.163364/#post-1957953

Some highlights:
“A note about CPU temps: the fan now operates at different thresholds than when the ambient temperature was used. It should now spin up at 60°C, switch to high speed at 70°C, and turn off when the temperature drops below 55°C.

“A good CPU temperature for gaming stands between 70 to 80 degrees Celsius (158-176°F).”
I'd add that most modern CPU/GPU temps can go higher than that before they thermal throttle and even higher before they just shut down to prevent permanent damage. So closer to the 100C range is more like auto-shutdown range.

Though it may be slightly different for the DSPs Fractal uses, I cannot imagine that any of the reported temps are anywhere near dangerous for your average modern processor.

Mines been running for a few hours now. No fan for the first hour, except at startup. Temp was 115°. Then, a steady increase to 131° and the fan alternately running 20 seconds on, 20 seconds off. Each time it runs it takes the temp down to 125°.

Definitely seems to run more than it used to. In the past, I would rarely hear it come on. Same room, same environment.

C3AF2EEA-5F29-4AB7-8742-58E80E116585.jpeg

Last edited:
Did a 3 hour show last night at a regular local venue, been working with the sound guy for 10 years. He was excited to hear the new sound of the FM3 , he asked 3 times , "are you sure your using the same cab irs as before" .
Haha , he was smiling all night. Sounded amazing! Output 2 volume was good after tweaking the peq on my monitor built in settings. Had no issues .

The fan on my FM3 has not turned on even one time since I have owned it.

I hope it works. ;)

Seems to hover around 120F/50C.

Back
Top Bottom