FM3 Firmware Version 4.00 beta 2

After updating, OUT 2 is much quieter. I'm using it as a FX SEND for an external reverb. In order to have the same reverb mix as before, I had to boost 12 Db OUT2 (Setup Page) and lower some Db's on the OUT 2 level (Block).

Same here. In the beta 1 thread (sorry not allowed to send links but it is on p22) FAS said that Out 2 level should stay where it is at 4.00b1 (when NOT using Copy 1->2). Maybe this was the plan, but is definitely not the case. So, something is messed up (again) when using Out2 as FX send. In 4.00b1 I had to raise Output2 Boost/Pad to 12dB to have approx. same levels as in 3.02 (thanks to @smj) . This decreased the Out2 level. Now I have to set Output2 Boost Pad to 18dB to increase the level, but this is not enough. Don't want to touch the out2 level in every preset if possible.
In 4.00b1 it made perfect sense to me that when connecting In1 (set to 12dB in settings) to Out2 (also set to 12dB) lead to approx. 0dB on Out2 meters.

Have the impression Cygnus does less support stringbuzz, or probably : translates it as it should. Didn't understand a few artifacts last weekend and then noted this morning a little stringbuzz that I never really bothered about over the years; corrected saddle height and neck a tiny little bit and here I go ! The dynamics are appreciated. BTW On a few amps I switched of the trebble boost ( generally those that don't have it in their physical versions).

I rehearsed last night for the first time with 4.00 Beta 1. No problem at all, sounded fantastic! I'm not using Output 2 till we use FOH stuff. Our gigs start in two weeks. I really like the Performance Pages. I think I need to spend a bit more time there and really think about what Parameters I want. I was able to dial in some settings that I normally would just live with for the night.

Can someone explain the "Reset System Parameters" in more detail? I wondering what all I would all change if I do a Reset? I changed the Tuner settings, would that be reset?

All in all, this has been a great update! Thanks FAS!

@Akstrat
From the WIKI: https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Reset_system_parameters#FM3

Reset a device

Axe-Fx III / FM3

Use the commands in the Utility menu to reset all system parameters (Global (including Perform screens), I/O, MIDI, Tuner, FC controllers).

The Utility menu also lets you delete all presets and all user cabs. You can reload the Factory presets with Fractal-Bot.

If a problematic system parameter prevents the Axe-Fx III or FM3 from booting, holding EDIT on startup bypasses non-default system settings and resets them. Press-and-hold both EDIT and HOME at startup to bypass and reset the system settings AND load a clean preset.

Use Fractal-Bot to load firmware onto the device.

You can also revert to a previous firmware version using the emergency bootloader:

1. Power on holding both PAGE LEFT and PAGE RIGHT buttons until the Emergency Utility page appears
  2. Update using Fractal-Bot.
A system reset also resets the FC Controllers settings. Use the editor to save and restore these settings..

Last night I was trying to adjust the mini display strips with FM3-EDIT and the contrast and bright knob would turn but then go right back to their original setting, then the middle and right mini screens went dark. I was in 4.00 beta1, I decided to install beta 2 and when I did the right and middle displays were still darkened out. I went into the FM3 this time instead of FM3-EDIT and I adjust the mini displays and they would adjust back to normal but the left display would start to morph and disappear
I went back into FM3-EDIT and I could adjust the contrast and brightness this time and that fixed my issue. Don't know if this helps or confuses but there you have it.

Installed fine here, not getting the fan issue others have reported though. Had my unit on for about 4 hours this afternoon.
Leon confirm that the soft reset is unecessary with the beta 4.2? I did it with the 1..do i have to do another one..

I have a comment regarding some amps sounding muddy.

I just checked my ac30tb preset in FW 3.02 vs. 4.01beta (with a reset). Of course some values are different i.e. cathode resistance, PI bias excursion, sag, time constant etc. But the one that really makes a difference and clears up the tone is the preamp low cut. The new value is 0Hz while the previous value was 482Hz.

So my question; is this by intent or an error? My guess is that it's an error and there's a few amp models that would need to be corrected. @BryantP @Admin M@

I thought the purpose of the amp block reset was to get the new "hidden" settings (under the hood) and then to put all your settings back and re-tweak?
I gotta say, it isn't "confusing"...but it does make me wonder what I should or shouldn't do.

Apparently I'm supposed to take my camera and take pics of all my settings, then do the reset of the block, then go back in by hand and put all my settings back in???

I'm clueless...lol!
I copied the one scene I wanted to reset to another (renamed to _bak) so I can compare the settings to the one I'm tweaking.

Just an FYI that I too have been experiencing the blank scribble strips periodically with the new beta .

Attachments

• IMG_0433.jpg
    IMG_0433.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 44
Just an FYI that I too have been experiencing the blank scribble strips periodically with the new beta .
Same with mine. Usually it's been the right, but the center one just went blank (actually very faded if you look close).

No fan noise with mine. Even with a high load (85%) preset. Never hear the fan except when first turning it on. Temps around 50.

Back
Top Bottom