FM3 Firmware Version 4.00 beta 2

Question about Out2 and unity gain. Maybe I'm missing a step because I had previously not been using my FRFR on Out2 because for me 3.03b had the out2 volume bug. Now I'm on 4.00b2 and Out2 it working great again.

I have it set to just copy out1. When I recently changed one preset to have the out2 block instead, it got substantially louder. I haven't changed any pad settings or anything, but what am I overlooking? Meters tickling the red in both cases.

I just tried setting the pad on Out2 to -10, and it's now only slightly louder. Is this the unity gain topic? Or when Out2 copies Out 1 does it borrow the level too?

It's something I can work around, just wondering if I'm missing something obvious.
OK more detail. It sounds different when I have Out2 source to copy Out1 versus "none". Almost like it's summing the levels.

I have it set to just copy out1. When I recently changed one preset to have the out2 block instead, it got substantially louder. I haven't changed any pad settings or anything, but what am I overlooking? Meters tickling the red in both cases.
That sounds like a bug. @rglr

I had the same issues with Out2 having no sound when using "Copy Out 1."

Then I realized I reinstalled Beta 1 rather than the new Beta 2. Doh!

Out 2 seems to have new behavior:

In Setup > I/O > Audio, when Copy is set to None or Input 1, there is a Boost/Pad adjustment. When set to Copy Output 1, instead there is an Output Level adjustment, with -10 or +4.

these settings affect the level when Out 2 block is present in the preset, and the "Boost vs Level" option is still dependent on the Copy selection.

so having an Out 2 block in the preset, then changing Copy to Out 1, then changing Out Level between -10 and +4 affects the Out 2 block level.

similarly, changing Copy to None or Input 1 (whose effect is typically overridden by the presence of the Out 2 block) and changing Boost/Pad from 0 to 18 affects the Out 2 block level as well.

Out 2 seems to have new behavior:

In Setup > I/O > Audio, when Copy is set to None or Input 1, there is a Boost/Pad adjustment. When set to Copy Output 1, instead there is an Output Level adjustment, with -10 or +4.

these settings affect the level when Out 2 block is present in the preset, and the "Boost vs Level" option is still dependent on the Copy selection.

so having an Out 2 block in the preset, then changing Copy to Out 1, then changing Out Level between -10 and +4 affects the Out 2 block level.

similarly, changing Copy to None or Input 1 (whose effect is typically overridden by the presence of the Out 2 block) and changing Boost/Pad from 0 to 18 affects the Out 2 block level as well.
Yes, I'm noticing this as well now. Initially I had the proper volume for Out2 after upgrading however when I cycled the Output 2 Copy to None to test the output blocks I then started to notice the behavior you describe.

The out 2 volume has been fixed, however, I still can't control the EQ or Volume of out 2 from the Setup menu using FM3 Edit. Faders have no effect.
did you install the latest FM3-Edit mentioned in the first post? Out 2 EQ Graphic and Parametric Global EQs work for me.

@rglr Just a question > I'm playing the FM3 with beeeeta2 and it seems to me as if the fan is on quite more often than before? Today is a cold day and I have my window open so it should not be because of temperature. The FM3 reports temp around 53C. The CPU load is at 65%

@PossumBear I'm showing the same output here. Can you reset system parameters and try again?
OK after a reset it's behaving differently. For a given preset, I have it ending in the Out1 block. Out 2 is again configured to copy Out1, so this plays through my speaker connected to Out2. When I play, the meters hit about -5dB. Bueno.

But, if I use the Out 2 block, the meters only hit like -26dB. Apparent volume to me is the same.

If I change the padding on Out2 in global, the volume is adjusted like you'd expect.

Now if I keep the Out 2 block in place, and go to global and change the Out2 copy from Out1 to none, it goes extremely quiet. Meters on the Out2 block are like -39dB under hard strumming. I can barely hear it.

Am I doing something wrong?

OK after a reset it's behaving differently. For a given preset, I have it ending in the Out1 block. Out 2 is again configured to copy Out1, so this plays through my speaker connected to Out2. When I play, the meters hit about -5dB. Bueno.

But, if I use the Out 2 block, the meters only hit like -26dB. Apparent volume to me is the same.

If I change the padding on Out2 in global, the volume is adjusted like you'd expect.

Now if I keep the Out 2 block in place, and go to global and change the Out2 copy from Out1 to none, it goes extremely quiet. Meters on the Out2 block are like -39dB under hard strumming. I can barely hear it.

Am I doing something wrong?
Where are your "Level" knobs above the screen set?

@rglr Just a question > I'm playing the FM3 with beeeeta2 and it seems to me as if the fan is on quite more often than before? Today is a cold day and I have my window open so it should not be because of temperature. The FM3 reports temp around 53C. The CPU load is at 65%
Ditto, my fan runs fairly often now, sometimes in 10sec bursts. Temp 55C.

Did you fix the little screens problem? I mean the fact they occasionally look empty or showing some artifacts.

We couldn't reproduce this issue exactly but there was work done in this beta to hopefully alleviate the problems some experienced. If you still have the issue with the mini-LCDs after this update, please let us know.

This problem was a headache for me also.
I have fixed it.
My solution is, step by step:
1- back up of presets, cabs, layouts of the firmware I am going to leave (I skip system backup, not necessary for this)
2- reset system parameters (FM3 unit>Setup>Utilities>Reset page>ResetSystemParameters)
3-install new firmware
4-after rebooting the unit, reset system parameters again
5-set manually again all system parameters (only import layouts)

This solution has worked for me perfectly for 3.03 beta1, 4.00 beta 1 and 4.00 beta 2. In fact, I will always install firmware in this way.

It's important to remark step 5: if you import system parameters from a backup, the problems can be imported too. So it's important to set manually the system configuration.

Finally: to do step 5 it's important to have a list of what parameters must be changed. Not necessary to have a list of all parameters of the unit (a lot). It's only necessary to have the list of what parameters must be changed from default values (when reset system parameters all parameters are set to default).

I did the list like this:
First, I took a picture of every page of the setup menu in the unit (scrolling down also for the largest pages). These pictures show the parameters you want to have in the system. So, these pictures are taken before resetting the system parameters.
Once I had the pictures, I reset the system parameters, and I navigated again through the menus of the unit and compare them with the pictures. The parameters that are not coincident is the parameters you should be aware to change from default values. You can write that parameters in a list, and/or highlight in the pictures.

Once this list is done, you just have to focus on that list parameters when doing step 5 every time you reset the system.

Example: In I/O menu, Audio page, I only change the USB 3,4 Playback destination to Output 2. This is the picture I have, with a red rectangle around the parameter:
I-O 1.jpg

I wonder if FAS should recommend reset system parameters before/after installing in the release notes.
It may also be interesting to have a checkbox in fractal-bot when installing firmware, asking for installing the firmware with a clean installation. resetting everything.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom