FM3 Firmware Version 4.00 beta 1

Yes the Archon, Savage, Herbert and VH4 are now way better and more satisfying to me. Use them now more than Mesa models.
And the SLO pleases me now too and with Ares I gave it not really a chance...
The Achon and SLO are good and somewhat similar w Archon being tighter and a bit more modern
but both benefit from having the master wound up a bit to tame the mids
i also changed power tubes in the Archon to 6ca7 like the new model PRS just released and its great
and SLO KT66 tip that i think i stole from my AB

Alright so what kinda unforgiveable things will I need to do for an OUT2 fix? This thread hype is becoming unmanageable. I literally only use OUT2. :(

I found the Austin buddy presets useful as a way to learn different techniques for signal paths, and to view certain parameters that were achieving the approximate results I wanted. After a while I used them as a base template on how to make my own. As a newcomer to both modeling and fractal, his gold pack was a really useful tool to learn more about the fm3 in general.

Awesome! I’d be hard pressed to think of another example to use that could possibly be better than his presets! I bought his bass pack a few months ago and it’s chock full of killer presets. Dr. Bonkers also recently posted a bass preset that was using envelope followers on a drive block to kick in a little extra drive as the volume level dropped, which I never even thought of doing until I saw it. Learning my example certainly helps!

Axe Edit support for Ultra Res is up. go and get it !
Oh, FM3-Edit. I was thinking Axe-Edit has ultra-res right!??! Made me think I was in the wrong thread. I have Ax-III And FM-3 so It can get confusing.

The DV77 sounds really good. I think it may become my go-to with the Mark series Boogies, replacing the Zilla 2x12 that now sounds a bit bass-heavy since Cygnus....

I got the DV77 pack last week and now have it in about 5 different presets, across 8 different amps. It’s crazy how many amps that cab pairs great with! Mix 12 has been go-to for a lot of stuff. I never remember the name of the IR‘s I use, so the fact that this one actually stuck in my head goes to show how many times I selected it over the last few days.

I started putting together presets that are usable with everything at stock settings, that cab has been in most of those presets. I’m not generally motivated to make videos, but this is a huge thing about Cygnus I’m not seeing a lot of people talk about; there’s a ton of amps that sound killer as soon as you load them up, as long as you’ve got the right IR.

Ok - i did it. Installed Cygnus, reset amp channels and started from there ... damn! I worked on my previous presets a few months and it took me about 20/30 minutes to redial my sounds - which are now even better. Sick! Only problem i noticed is the out 2 block which is obviously a bug (i leveled all my amps to hit 0db at out 2 and now, i had to set out 2 to about -10/-11 db to avoid clipping).

Cygnus is killer - the amps are so good at noon ... what a machine!

Last edited:
The York DV77 and Cygnus made making presets a snap. Most of the amps that I select to try out already sound good as is and I only dial in the bass, mid, and treble because I feel like I'm supposed to. :) It's so easy that I'm surprised that people feel the need to buy presets.
DV77 works well with every amp.

My guess is that people having issues are using 3rd party or heavily tweaked under the hood presets
my advice as hard as it is would be to go to a blank preset and start fresh Amp cab Authentic controls
pick an amp and dial it in , it will be some work yes but i think you will be happier
OR wait a week or 2 till the new FM3 preset banks come out and hopefully that will fix the issue

low end issues are usually result of the low cut in preamp off
the impedance curve match is too bassy
master is too high, NFB is too low

Yeah I hear ya, but I think its bcuz I have the Live Gold Presets in their old state, I did get some good tones last night but like I said it was after reseting blocks and a lot of tweaking, also using a 7 string and that constitutes more Low cut or boosting front, I hope I can get to the same happy place I was at before this update and Im sure I will I just need to work at it hence buying presets lol
Austin Buddy has a Cygnus updated Bank 1 just released for Live Gold. Download it from his site, run a back up then load it. If you have the time you can load bank 1 back and forth and see if it's better or not.

Fractal will never limit or remove the ability to dial in what you want. You just have to meet them halfway and take the time to actual dial in what you want.

I love Austin’s presets and think it’s awesome that a 3rd party market exist, but the one downside of it I see regularly is that it takes some of the learning process away from users. I get it for the guys who just want to plug in and play without worrying about that stuff and guitar is just a hobby, but if your whole world is playing guitar and your obsessive about your tone, it’s kind of daft to not take the time and learn how to use this thing. It’s like being a painter and being given a palette that has every color in the world, but you’ve got to combine them to come up with your own shades and saying, “Fuck this, I’m not going to paint this picture because they didn’t mix the colors for me.”

Much needed "tough love." ;)

Man, a lot of you are really overthinking this update.

If you‘ve got a preset that’s sounding really off with Cygnus, go to a new, empty preset and start with just the amp and cab block. You can start with the same IR but really, over the last few months the one thing that I’ve confirmed time and time again is that if the preset is sounding too different from Ares to Cygnus, the IR is the first place to start and the quickest way to get back to where you were, usually with better results.

I rely on the IR to get 85%-95% of the tone and the amp block to fine tune it. For the Floyd Rose guys, the IR is the tuning machines and the Amp block is the fine tuners. If you settle on an IR that‘s kind of close, you’re going to spend forever trying to figure out where the hell to dial out the sound you’re not digging. (Unless we’re talking about the Mesa amps, in which case, you really need to tweak the amp block).

Maybe the absurd amount of IR’s I’ve collected has lent itself to that realization/ability to sift through so many to find one that works so well, but it’s definitely given me the best results. The kind of results that make you more excited to try new amps out instead of spending forever tweaking one preset to sound good.

At the end of the day, turning the knobs and seeing what they do won’t break anything. You won’t even lose your presets as long as you don’t click Save as you’re tweaking.
Changing the IR turned out to be the trick for several of my presets, and I started looking there first. The presets really came alive when I’d find the right one or right combination.

In @yek’s amp write ups for the Carol Ann OD-2, Allan Phillips said that it is very picky about the cabinets:

"In the real world the OD2 is very very fussy on speaker choice too. The real world speakers of choice are EVM12L in a 1x12 rear ported and 2x12 with Celestion Classic Lead 80's. I found the 12L emulation did a pretty good job. Some of the others sounded so artificial with that model. Like a Rockman. Coupled with the right cab the emulated model does a good job of representing the basic tonal signature of the amp".

It follows that a good model would also be picky because it sure sounds better on Cygnus with the right cabs.

Changing the IR turned out to be the trick for several of my presets, and I started looking there first. The presets really came alive when I’d find the right one or right combination.

In @yek’s amp write ups for the Carol Ann OD-2, Allan Phillips said that it is very picky about the cabinets:

It follows that a good model would also be picky because it sure sounds better on Cygnus with the right cabs.

Yeah, I wasn’t really digging the Friedman’s until I changed the cabs and now they’re back to being on the top of my favorites list.

I don’t feel you really get an amp’s individual character unless you find the right IR for it. Sometimes slapping the same IR across several high gain amps makes everything sound the same, but when you spend some time and really find out what’s available for each amp, you can get a lot of variety between them.

It’s also what’s surprised me about York Audio’s new DV77 pack; in total contradiction of what I said above, I’m using the same IR on several amps and it just sounds killer, but it’s spread out between varying amounts of gain, so it’s not like I’ve got a 5150, 5153, Savage all using the same IR.

This "get the right IR as it is 85 to 95 of the tone" is hard for me to swallow.

Are my digital newbie stripes showing again?? 😳

;)

Isn't the essential character and feel in the amp model itself and the 5 to 15 percent
icing on the cake is the IR/speaker/cab/mic choice?

Or maybe some of us like 85 percent icing and 15 percent cake. :)

Back
Top Bottom