FM3 Firmware Version 4.00 beta 1

Pardon my ignorance (still a FM3 newbie):
What is this, and how do I enable my imported IR's to be "UltraRes"?
Or does this automatically happen?
https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/...lution_or_length:_UltraRes.2C_HiRes.2C_Normal

If an IR is compatible you can select UltraRes in the Cab block.

It does not automatically happen. UltraRes uses more CPU and on the FM3 sometimes that is needed for other blocks.

In a band context it’s difficult to hear a difference between Normal and UltraRes. There’s too much going on to discern the difference, especially for people who don’t know what to listen to, such as the audience. The only time I hear the difference is in a solo track, or when setting up a preset and listening very carefully, so I turned it off on all my normal presets.

Sony MDR 7506
I use Sennheiser HD-650 for my primary listening headphones. They’re open-air and sound good as is, but with the EQ curve sound excellent. I also have Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, which are equivalent to the Sony, and both are greatly improved with an EQ curve.

Last edited:
I'm in 4.0 Beta1! Whoo Hoo... This is defiantly the most fun I have had from any guitar processor I have owned before, and my first FAS beta to install going to have a fun weekend! Thanks FAS!

Firmware updates don't generally change parameters in any presets on your device, whether user created or factory. But you only need to adjust the presets you actually use. @Admin M@ is working on new factory presets for the Axe III, so very likely new factory presets for the FM3 will be incoming shortly after that.

You also don't technically need to do the reset. It's just that it will probably sound better (because corrected values) once you do. But if you like how it sounds in an old preset before you reset the amp, cool!
Thank you. And bummer...

Lots of stuff I had to do, because the amps should be reset after a major firmware update to be safe/sure everything is kosher, and Cliff did change or update some amp models (like Freidmans) so mani amp page settings may change too. Too much to detail here, but my update notes on Bank 1 (now available for Cygnus in your download account for FM3) details a lot of it -- 3 pages.

One thing in the Marshall styles I noticed ta least, to get back to where I was tone-wise in firmware 15, generally had to add 0.50 value to the prior Master Volume, or if there is no Master volume amp (on 10), would have to add 0.50 to the drive/gain, and then I would have to adjust the LEVEL again, the old level was not right after Cygnus update for most (but not all) amps. cant' generalize, some amps Level was a little less, others no change, most I found I added 1 db or up to 2.5 db compared to last firmware amp block Level values. I can't say this applies to non-Marshall amps yet - just for my Bank 1 presets.
Thanks for that info. Really looking forward to the full LiveGold Cygnus updates. I rely on your work to provide my building blocks for all my presets and would recommend them to everyone. Here’s my dilemma. I have a run of shows starting soon and have a load of presets prepared in 3.03b. I can’t use 3.03b because of the blank foot switch bug. Do I go back to 3.02...lose the new drives and the other improvements of 3.03b (the new drives are vastly superior imho) or go forward into 4.00 b and redo the amps....it’s a high class problem I know but still a dilemma. Most of the amps are fender cleans and your bludojai clean. I’m gonna think about it for a day. I suspect I will ‘risk’ 4.00b

I am confused why the FM3 firmware update and FM3 Edit updates are so seamless and easy.
It's kind of scaring me, to be honest. This is not "normal." :)

For those asking about resetting amps, and weren't already aware, the very excellent and free (but donations appreciated) FracTool utility allows batch amp resets. AustinBuddy posted elsewhere that he uses it to do all of his patches at once, and I'm using it to do mine now: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fractool-ultimate-multitool-for-fas-devices.112538/

Regarding this new beta - not having any issues with anything so far, everything sounds great. ALSO - regarding what some post about OUT2 not working - for reference, I have an older original issue FM3 with no headphone jack, running OUT2 into a Presonus HP4 headphone amp for my headphones, with "copy 1 to 2" set to NONE, using OUT2 blocks in all my patches, and have zero issues.

Hope this helps.

I am confused why the FM3 firmware update and FM3 Edit updates are so seamless and easy.
It's kind of scaring me, to be honest. This is not "normal." :)
The Fractal team have done a lot of work to make upgrades and backups easy and smoooooove....

The Peavey TubeFex I had almost half a lifetime ago had a chip you had to pry out of its socket and replace. I just came across the beta chip in my electronics parts when packing up to move earlier this year. Soooo nice to be able to update via software without turning a screwdriver and physically removing/replacing parts....

Search for your headphone model on https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq and you should be able to put together a GEQ block to flatten the headphone’s sound when working with presets. Save the block to the Block Library to make it easy to reuse.

I drop the block into a preset just ahead of the Out block then remove it, or disable it in all scenes using the Scene Manager.

It makes it a pleasure to work with the headphones with presets.
Thanks for the reference!

Gotta say I wish there was an easier way to reset the Amp Blocks, all at once.... built in to the FM 3. . And a tutorial on the exact way TO update. I initially did a Backup when I got the FM 3. Then I do the FM 3 update. And then I installed AustinBuddys Live Gold Banks 1,2, 3, and 4. I have yet to do an Amp Block reset. And it seems a critical thing to do right?
With this latest update, 1st I reinstalled my backup Banks A,B,C, and D. Installed the new 4.0 beta update. Then I installed AustinBuddys Live Gold back into Banks A,B,C, and D. At what point does 1 even do an Amp Block reset? Thx.

Gotta say I wish there was an easier way to reset the Amp Blocks, all at once.... built in to the FM 3. . And a tutorial on the exact way TO update. I initially did a Backup when I got the FM 3. Then I do the FM 3 update. And then I installed AustinBuddys Live Gold Banks 1,2, 3, and 4. I have yet to do an Amp Block reset. And it seems a critical thing to do right?
With this latest update, 1st I reinstalled my backup Banks A,B,C, and D. Installed the new 4.0 beta update. Then I installed AustinBuddys Live Gold back into Banks A,B,C, and D. At what point does 1 even do an Amp Block reset? Thx.
See this:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/tutorial-move-your-presets-from-15-01-to-16-01.172863/

The Fractal team have done a lot of work to make upgrades and backups easy and smoooooove....

The Peavey TubeFex I had almost half a lifetime ago had a chip you had to pry out of its socket and replace. I just came across the beta chip in my electronics parts when packing up to move earlier this year. Soooo nice to be able to update via software without turning a screwdriver and physically removing/replacing parts....

I'll see your Peavey and raise you a Digitech 2112. I remember those days.

We've coome a long, long ways haven't we?? :)

Back
Top Bottom