FM3 Firmware Version 3.03 beta 1

I’d wager that 3.03 final and Cygnus Beta will come up back to back the same day.
So you feel that they will release
ares 3.03 say Friday 11:30
then come back w Cygnus Beta on mid afternoon
an intresting theory , i dont think i have ever seen it done but lets see

I think there will be Cygnus released without beta. No Ares 3.03, but we will get 4.0 Cygnus. 😀
No, good software development practices say the final version should be available, not a beta. Ares 3.03 on FM3 is in beta (3.03b) so when 3.03 releases they'll move on.

That allows people to stay on the final version that's as bug-free as possible, while waiting for the new version to stabilize if they're concerned about it.

They could release them in parallel, but that's unlikely. I'd always want my code to have a couple days to settle in, in case, by an off-chance, there was a bug that snuck in at the last minute.

Well, I still think the Ares 3.02 (available for over two months) is the last available, stable, not beta, full release, as bug free as possible, allowing people to stay on Ares, final firmware. Next one will be 4.0 Cygnus with all the improvements 3.03b testing brings! ;)

We have this beta for over a month now, I don't expect yet another beta being released as Cygnus porting has been confirmed already.

Edit: Agreed with @jordikt as to last stable version of Ares being 3.01.
Also just because we have public beta (3.03b) doesn't mean it will make it to release at all.

Last edited:
Ares 3.02 have a big bug, the freeze of button switches.

IMO, today the last stable version of Ares is 3.01.

So, it have a lot of sense to have a final stable version of Ares 3.03, including the new drives and UltraRes Cabs.

And then start with Cygnus 3.1 or Cygnus 4.0

I'm personally not overly excited regarding Cygnus. My FM3 sounds so good as it is so I'm a happy camper right now.
The biggest concern is that future updates will demand more cpu pushing existing presets into +80%...
We'll see, if it doesn't then I welcome all improvements.

I'm with those guessing 4.0 Cygnus will drop next, but I wouldn't rule out a public beta first. I'm also predicting new factory presets will coincide with final release.

I have a feeling they will release both at the same time. Both development branches are ready but they are just waiting for one bug to be fixed in Cygnus that can then be backported to the 3.0 branch.

I don't have any insight but for me that would explain the rather long delay after the last beta.

I suspect there won't be a Cygnus public beta. I have no reason to expect or want another non Cygnus release. We'll see....

Back
Top Bottom