FM3 Firmware Version 3.02

This FW still can't reliably handle some of my CPU-intensive patches made in 1.06. UI freezes completely. Rolling back to 1.06.

The worst part is that since the initial preset is always the last one loaded, when I load one of these presets for testing then I'm near bricking the device: UI completely unresponsive means I cannot load a lighter preset. Luckily I've been able to gain the missing 0.5% or 1% to recover control by completelly unpluging input, and switching to another preset. Then reload old firmware.

This FW still can't reliably handle some of my CPU-intensive patches made in 1.06. UI freezes completely. Rolling back to 1.06.

The worst part is that since the initial preset is always the last one loaded, when I load one of these presets for testing then I'm near bricking the device: UI completely unresponsive means I cannot load a lighter preset. Luckily I've been able to gain the missing 0.5% or 1% to recover control by completelly unpluging input, and switching to another preset. Then reload old firmware.
Please post the preset.

Please post the preset.
Here it goes. This particular one is frankly quite stuffed and it's doing a couple of weird things with output 2 to allow some creative routing, but it worked like a charm for months with 1.06.

I can probably save 1% or 2 to squeeze it in but that would mean losing some kind of functionality (or at least I cannot come up with a way of saving CPU without losing something).

Attachments

• Main_DasMetall_v4.5.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 15
Yes, it freezes the UI (sound is okay).
It clocks in at 83.5%, and I've already got the Global EQs disabled to save CPU.
That's just too high (see the manual).

Yes, what't the purpose of the Out 2 stuff in the above preset? That long run of shunts isn't helping your CPU usage.
The long run of shunts sends the clean input signal to Out 2 R while sending an almost-mono pre-delay mix to Out 2 L. I use the clean signal to feed a pitchblack tuner (easier to see on stage) and the "mono" mix to feed IEMs mixer.

Yes, it freezes the UI (sound is okay).
It clocks in at 83.5%, and I've already got the Global EQs disabled to save CPU.
That's just too high (see the manual).
Sure, I know that this preset is pushing the limits and this kind of CPU usage is quicksand. I was just asking because it worked perfectly on 1.06. Don't need any of the new developments so I'm just returning to old FW.

Back when 3.01 was released I made some tests, sent the preset to @BryantP who took a look as well and got the impression that increased CPU usage could be related to modifiers.

Back when 3.01 was released I made some tests, sent the preset to @BryantP who took a look as well and got the impression that increased CPU usage could be related to modifiers.
I still have the preset and have looking at this on the list. It's a challenge to get as many of the updates in there as possible and keep the CPU usage reasonably the same.

Ring modulator, synth, and pitch detect can cause the kind of issue you are seeing on some presets as they use a fair amount of CPU in background, which will effect the UI processing (audio is prioritized). So, in this regard, not all 83.5% presets are equal.

I still have the preset and have looking at this on the list. It's a challenge to get as many of the updates in there as possible and keep the CPU usage reasonably the same.

Ring modulator, synth, and pitch detect can cause the kind of issue you are seeing on some presets as they use a fair amount of CPU in background, which will effect the UI processing (audio is prioritized). So, in this regard, not all 83.5% presets are equal.
Sure, I just wanted to report the issue. I understand this is a very limit case and I can perfectly live with it.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to investigate the preset, also to Yek and Admin M@

Here it goes. This particular one is frankly quite stuffed and it's doing a couple of weird things with output 2 to allow some creative routing, but it worked like a charm for months with 1.06.

I can probably save 1% or 2 to squeeze it in but that would mean losing some kind of functionality (or at least I cannot come up with a way of saving CPU without losing something).
Can't you set Copy Output 1 to 2, then just do something like this:
1615488269044.jpeg

That hovers around 80% for me on 3.02

Dunno just a thought.

Edit: Updated the preset file. The Return Level was 0%.

Try connecting OUT2 like this

1615488129362.png

Hope it helps.

Attachments

• Main_DasMetall_v4.5 Mod.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I agree this is a problem on my MAC as well. The work around using the control key is successful, but the pull down menu on Axe Edit does now allow you to insert blocks on its own. Not a major problem, but would be nice to fix. (Yes I did a refresh after the update - thanks for that reminder).
Any news on this? Or are we just stuck using the control+track pad drop down menu?

I hope there aren't any other problems...this one has a work around.

Adding UI options to suit personal preferences also bloat the firmware, increase the risk of bugs, and make the Setup menus more complex. So the company has to walk a fine line.
It is really really annoying pressing the >> button 3 times to get to the Presets page now, particularly since we are used to pressing it once.

Having the preset list be the 4th page is not intuitive at all.

It is really really annoying pressing the >> button 3 times to get to the Presets page now, particularly since we are used to pressing it once.

Noted. I predict that you'll get used to it as did all of the Axe-Fx community members when Perform Pages were added on that box.

How is it not “intuitive”? The issue is just that some people want the Perform pages with less clicks, and some want the Preset page with less clicks.

If I prefer the Perform pages, having to click 3x for that may not be intuitive for me.

Back
Top Bottom