FM3 Firmware Version 2.00 Public Beta 1

This same issue happened to me. I added a volume block into a preset. Calibrated the expression pedal (plugged into the FM3 itself) and assigned it. When I go to swell in slowly, the volume sweep goes about 2/3 the way up the slope (looking at it in the modifier window) with virtually no change in volume (ie silent) and then the volume jumps to on and continues to increase in volume smoothly the rest of the sweep. Same whether using my modded Ernie Ball VP Jr or my Dunlop Volume x Mini. Once at the toe position, the volume sweeps smoothly down and back up until I rest the expression pedal at heel and try again. It sounds like there is a noise gate threshold in the volume block that is clicking open at some threshold and then not closing as long as signal is passing. Hope that’s enough detail.

I had a reverse polarity cable that caused this same behavior. I used reverse polarity cables for my Mastermind PBC and my EV-2 pedal and took me forever to figure out the problem. Test your cable to make sure it's tip to tip, ring to ring, and sleeve to sleeve. If the tip and ring are swapped you have a reverse polarity cable and replace it with a standard TRS cable.

Don't mean to be patronising - but have you tried it? It won't break anything!

Let's you swap scenes in FM-Edit, so if you want scene 2 to be scene 4 - you can (if you're like me and like scenes to be rising in terms of gain, it's useful)
I do know that but I am at the office at the moment so I could not try out but was to curious and impatient to wait, sorry :D:innocent:
And in general, I do not want to install beta firmware on my FM 3.
Can`t wait to get the official firmware release.

Stay healthy and thanks for the fast reply :)

Thanks to everyone for testing out the beta version of 2.0 and finding the bugs that will enable Fractal to get it sorted before the official release of the 2.0 firmware. This is a really helpful process.

[These presets crash the FM3]

Today I helped to discover that at least one of these presets contains an "illegal" modifier in the delay block, which explains why it was crashing. This vindicates the beta firmware in my opinion, though it may need to be equipped with guard rails to prevent something like this from happening.

May I ask if you converted or edited these using FracTool or any other 3rd party software? @cnaufel -- answer here or send me a PM.

Last edited:
Today I helped to discover that at least one of these presets contains an "illegal" modifier in the delay block, which explains why it was crashing. This vindicates the beta firmware in my opinion, though it may need to be equipped with guard rails to prevent something like this from happening.

May I ask if you converted or edited these using FracTool or any other 3rd party software? @cnaufel -- answer here or send me a PM.
First I checked all my presets that froze the unit. Than saved them using the Preset Management from FM3 Edit. Picked them and right clicked and SAVE all of them in a row.

First I checked all my presets that froze the unit. Than saved them using the Preset Management from FM3 Edit. Picked them and right clicked and SAVE all of them in a row.
I think Matt was asking if you loaded them into your FM3 via "conversion" from presets that were from something like Axe Fx II or AX8.

I think Matt was asking if you loaded them into your FM3 via "conversion" from presets that were from something like Axe Fx II or AX8.
Ahhh!! Good question! You guys are much smarter than me 😉. They were indeed initially ported from my AX8 some time ago and converted with Frac Tool. They were sitting without any issues im my FM3. With 1.06 version, no issues...when upgraded to Beta...crash.

FWIW here is my experience with the 2.0b so far:

Improvements:
  • CPU usage is down about 5-7% on most of my presets. I also notice that I can use processing power up to 85%-87%, whereas with 1.06 it was cut off at 80%-83%
  • FM3-Edit is MUCH faster/responsive
  • Pausing and resuming communication on FM3-Edit is instant.
  • I no longer experience USB audio dropouts while using FM3-Edit.
  • Disconnecting the USB cable and reconnecting while FM3-Edit is running reconnects and works without freezing or requiring FM3-Edit restart.
Potential Issues:
  • When I would turn on the FM3 it would initialize with my TRS treadle pedals in the on position, somewhere mid-sweep. I am using auto engage. This meant my tone had a cocked Wah sound. Upon changing presets and changing back the proper settings would be restored and my correct non-cocked Wah tone would be back. (Turn on FM3 it loads Preset 000, Scene 5 with a cocked Wah sound>Change to preset 1; change back to preset 0; cocked Wah sound gone as intended and stored)
I solved this issue by re-calibrating my TRS treadle pedals. Preset file attached below.
--
  • I can corroborate the Archon Bright Fat switch dropout bug. I am on Mac OSX High Sierra 10.13.6
  • The screen illumination appears to have changed, but this may be intended. Here are my findings posted in another thread about that potential issue:
Here's a sanity/placebo check. Looks like maybe the side illumination was made more diffuse and maybe that makes it appear to have more contrast? Or, more likely, just placebo from the process of staring at your screen waiting to power cycle the firmware update; seeing the black screen and then the fresh illuminated screen. These are with the factory film protector on (I'm one of those guys; 2 years from now when I peel off my 40" TV it will look brand new :)~ and so will my FM3!)

EDIT: Yeah, coming back to these, 2.0 is definitely brighter/has more diffusion of the side lights. Turned my screen down to 20% and am fine with it; hopefully saves screen burn in/out time. :)

1.06 Brightness:

_____
_____

2.0b Brightness:

Attachments

• 000_Deja Main.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Ahhh!! Good question! You guys are much smarter than me 😉. They were indeed initially ported from my AX8 some time ago and converted with Frac Tool. They were sitting without any issues im my FM3. With 1.06 version, no issues...when upgraded to Beta...crash.

Well, case closed then. The presets are incompatible.

I have problems with midi in the editor, I put a number in the value and don't change or save in the editor or fm3

Attachments

• midi.JPG
    midi.JPG
    129 KB · Views: 15
I have problems with midi in the editor, I put a number in the value and don't change or save in the editor or fm3

I'm having the same problems with the MIDI block. It turns out that when you enter numbers on the hardware or software, the changes to take hold but the display isn't updating to reflect that. If you move the selector/cursor to a different field and back, it'll update, though.

Installed a couple days ago. No problems here. USB working good, Edit seems faster and no freezes.

Only thing I keep getting is that the tap tempo light goes crazy every time I open reaper.

Thanks FAS. Please fix the virtual capo in the next release 🙏🏻

Installed a couple days ago. No problems here. USB working good, Edit seems faster and no freezes.

Only thing I keep getting is that the tap tempo light goes crazy every time I open reaper.

Thanks FAS. Please fix the virtual capo in the next release 🙏🏻

You sure the tempo light isn't because Reaper is sending out a high tempo?

Back
Top Bottom