FM3 Firmware Version 2.0

FYI after installing 2.0, I still get the occasional freeze (sound coming through, but no response from any button / knob / input meter lights). This happened a couple times when connecting the usb cable into my Mac with the fm3 already on, not sure whether the problem lies in the usb connection or if there's a conflict somewhere else.
I have a couple questions, if you don't mind:
  1. If you disconnect the USB and wait a few seconds, does the interface come back?
  2. Are you running a DAW and/or FM3-Edit when this occurs?
  3. Does this seem limited to a one or a couple presets (this can be difficult to discern in hindsight)?

Reactions: edo
I have a couple questions, if you don't mind:
  1. If you disconnect the USB and wait a few seconds, does the interface come back?
  2. Are you running a DAW and/or FM3-Edit when this occurs?
  3. Does this seem limited to a one or a couple presets (this can be difficult to discern in hindsight)?

I'm not in front of it right now, will do some more tests when I get to my workstation and report back. I did have FM3 edit running when it happened yesterday, no DAW, and it did happen on 2 different presets so far. Will give you more info in a couple hours, thanks for your tremendous / continuous support!

@BryantP This wasn't posted in the Firmware Updates thread yet. People who had email notifications on it to see when releases happened may still be missing it.

@BryantP Seems like much improved; however, this particular preset (from AX3) is still not loading and temporarily freezing the FM3. I appreciate all the efforts the Fractal team has been putting into this issues.

Attachments

• RATMAudioslave_20201014_192254.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 4
@BryantP Seems like much improved; however, this particular preset (from AX3) is still not loading and temporarily freezing the FM3. I appreciate all the efforts the Fractal team has been putting into this issues.
Do you know if this preset worked on the FM3 1.06?

do you know the CPU usage of that preset on an Axe3? i'm not at my gear now.

hovers between 38 and 40% on the AX3. Not very CPU intensive.
The fix will be in the next release. It runs at about 50% on the FM3 (once it doesn't crash). Thanks for finding this and bringing it to our attention!

Reactions: Rex
AFAIK the FM3's USB subsystem is different from the III. A hardware thing, not firmware.
I was suspecting that.

I have my FM3 and FX3 attached to the same USB hub on my iMac Pro. If the problem was the hub both units should have a problem.

In an attempt to determine whether the length of the cable made a difference I swapped the two. If the cable was the problem the FX3 should have dropped communication, but it was fine, the problem reappeared on the FM3, again, so the cables are fine.

I've had both units turned on for many hours today, the computer hasn't had an opportunity to sleep, both the FM3-Edit and Axe-FX-Edit have been running, and the FM3-Edit couldn't communicate with the FM3 when I tried to use it. That tells me the computer and USB are not the problem.

Every way I look at it and every test I've made points at a problem inside the FM3 or in Edit. Quitting Edit and restarting it allowed it to communicate with the FM3, but, at least prior to 2.0 that trick wouldn't always work. I'll keep poking at it but I'm calling support on Monday if it continues.

Last edited:
I've updated firmware and now ALL of my presets are giving me a CPU overload warning in FM3 edit even though they are running at about 60-70% and were working fine with the old firmware. What gives?

I've updated firmware and now ALL of my presets are giving me a CPU overload warning in FM3 edit even though they are running at about 60-70% and were working fine with the old firmware. What gives?
did you update FM3-Edit as well? the first post mentions it's required.

I've updated firmware and now ALL of my presets are giving me a CPU overload warning even though they are running at about 60-70% asnd were working fine with the old firmware. What gives?

I've updated firmware and now ALL of my presets are giving me a CPU overload warning even though they are running at about 60-70% asnd were working fine with the old firmware. What gives?
did you update FM3-Edit as well? the first post mentions it's required.

Oops, after loading the 2.0 FW and updating FM3 Edit my own 4 patches that ran at 79-81% now run at 85-86% -> and are thus unuseable. 2 have reberb that work with economic reverb, the others don't have reverb so 'game over'.
As I stripped already all that was possible to make them run on FW1.06, it's just not possible to use FW2.0 for the time being. Lower CPU rated patches seem to run correctly. Couldn't check it without headphones at this time of night but bass response seemed very nice.
Howbeit for the time being I had to switch back to 1.06.

Oops, after loading the 2.0 FW and updating FM3 Edit my own 4 patches that ran at 79-81% now run at 85-86% -> and are thus unuseable. 2 have reberb that work with economic reverb, the others don't have reverb so 'game over'.
As I stripped already all that was possible to make them run on FW1.06, it's just not possible to use FW2.0 for the time being. Lower CPU rated patches seem to run correctly. Couldn't check it without headphones at this time of night but bass response seemed very nice.
Can you share those presets, please? If you would not like them public feel free to send them directly to me.

Can you share those presets, please? If you would not like them public feel free to send them directly to me.

Cab D30 per PM

One of the patches totally disappeared, at reload of 1.06 I suppose; I fortunately backed up juste before and recharged bank (D)

Attachments

• M-D30 TELE.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 5
  • DLR 2X12BLUE.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 4
  • M-D30 Strat.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 6
  • DLR 2X12BLUE STRAT.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 6
I actually had the same thing happen to me. My presets increased about 4-5%. But in my situation my presets are still below 80%. They're close, maybe 77-78%. Other than that everything sounds and works perfectly.

Back
Top Bottom