FM3 Firmware Version 2.0

@ Fractal Team, Thanks for your efforts. Just loaded the 2.0, hours ago, everything works as designed for me. Partly Usb sound issues with 1.06 (no sound after aprox. 30 min when watching backing track using youtube) on mac are gone. Unit sounds amazing, had the ax8 before, again a milestone for me in terms of digital modelling. You guys rock...

I installed 2.0, and am still seeing the FM3 lose communication with FM3-Edit 1.02.00 when my iMac Pro sleeps.

I've had similar problems on my Mac Pro over the years but never with the FM3. It happened for me with the Axe-Fx II, and with various USB synthesizers. Weird. A good workaround is to just re-start FM3-Edit.

I just received my FM3 from G66 today and have to say I’m very impressed with the (few, so far) presets straight out of the box.
It came with Firmware 1.06 - I’m assuming - as it was shipped last Thursday.
Quick question - and please forgive my numbskullery/ technophobia - but is it easy to update the firmware? I’ve just seen that 2.0 is now available.
I have an FX8 and AX8 and love ‘em both, but bought them once they had their ‘final’ firmwares, so never had to update them.
I’m quite computer illiterate, so are there any pitfalls I need to be aware of before I upgrade my newly acquired FM3 to 2.0.
I say a huge thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to reply to this (rather boring and out-dated) question.

I just received my FM3 from G66 today and have to say I’m very impressed with the (few, so far) presets straight out of the box.
Quick question - and please forgive my numbskullery/ technophobia - but is it easy to update the firmware? I’ve just seen that 2.0 is now available.
I have an FX8 and AX8 and love ‘em both, but bought them once they had their ‘final’ firmwares, so never had to update them.
I’m quite computer illiterate, so are there any pitfalls I need to be aware of before I upgrade my newly acquired FM3 to 2.0.
I say a huge thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to reply to this (rather boring and out-dated) question.

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Firmware#Install_new_firmware

open FM3-Edit
click the Tools menu
click Fractal-Bot
download FW 2.0 from its thread, unzip, and drag the .syx file to Step 2.
hit begin and wait for everything to finish. the FM3 screen at some point will say in yellow "turn off for 5 seconds, then turn on"

that's it. normally i'd suggest backing up first, but since it's brand new, there isn't too much reason to do so.

here's a link to my video showing how to backup and more: https://axefxtutorials.com/Firmware...and-Recovery-42d0d579ad9e40b0b3cef4101d00760e

First rehearsal with 2.0

Multiple footswitch freezes that forced me to power cycle. Changing scenes, or activating
Fx caused. Mostly @austinbuddy presets but also happened with the Sultans (of swing) factory preset. Going to the boost scene and back to the middle one (can’t remember right now the name) froze the switches

No computer connected. Weird as I didn’t experienced any of this with beta going trophy the same ser list

Multiple footswitch freezes that forced me to power cycle. Changing scenes, or activating
Fx caused. Mostly @austinbuddy presets but also happened with the Sultans (of swing) factory preset. Going to the boost scene and back to the middle one (can’t remember right now the name) froze the switches
Just the switches? Audio was processing and the front panel otherwise functioned (i.e. buttons, main LCD, tempo light)?

First rehearsal with 2.0

No computer connected. Weird as I didn’t experienced any of this with beta going trophy the same ser list
So using some of the Control Switches (CS2 is boost) on your FM3, with no external
FC attached, and you installed the amp control page on your FM3, is all that correct?

So using some of the Control Switches (CS2 is boost) on your FM3, with no external
FC attached, and you installed the amp control page on your FM3, is all that correct?

I use the OMG3 layout and in the effects I have CS2 as an option. It’s the only one I use. I don’t have the amp control page installed.

I only have a mission expression pedal.

I’ve just came home back from rehearsal and tried for ten minutes to reproduce and he freezes and couldn’t do it. It seems to only happen on rehearsal 😬. Very weird as I had at least 6 freezes in a couple hours of use

As mentioned in the beta thread, I'm still having audio drop-outs requiring a hard reset of the unit with 2.00 final, and not when using the Archean model (the 6160 Block model, specifically). I believe this has something to do with modifiers on the Amp block, so I'm going to go ahead and rebuild my presets without using those and see if things stabilize.
I took a look at this and I think I know what the issue is. I've submitted an update for the engineers to look at. For now try to minimize the number of modifiers on Amp block parameters.

Tonight I played through about 40 of the 300+ LiveGold FM3 presets using the new firmware 2.0 public.

All of them have CS switches attached to the preset's amp block. FYI, CS2 = amp boost, CS3 = Fat, CS4 = Bright, CS5 = Saturation, and CS6 = Lo Cut.

So far, I encountered no issues with audible drop outs or clicks when playing the 40 randomly picked presets, switching these parameters (CS switches) on and off via an OMG9 setup. I did have FM3-Edit running while I did this.

Last edited:
Check out factory preset #322, CE-1 Chorus/Vibe
I have a question about the CE-1, I know that one of the things that makes the CE-1 special is that one side is dry and side other has the chorus effect, but should the side that has chorus be 50% wet/dry mix like on this factory preset or one side 100% dry and the other 100% wet?

I have a question about the CE-1, I know that one of the things that makes the CE-1 special is that one side is dry and side other has the chorus effect, but should the side that has chorus be 50% wet/dry mix like on this factory preset or one side 100% dry and the other 100% wet?
Which way sounds closer to what you want to hear?

Wasn't there a bug in the beta where the settings shown in the MIDI block in the FM3's UI were incorrect? And wasn't that supposed to be fixed in this release? I'm still seeing that in 2.0.

To repro:
  • Add a MIDI block to a preset
  • In scene 1 select type/number/value for command 1
  • Change to scene 2 and do the same but select a different number and/or value
  • Now switch back and forth between scenes 1 and 2

The settings displayed for the command always seem to be from the previously selected scene. It's just a UI bug though, because the correct command is sent.

Back
Top Bottom