FM3 Firmware Release Version 1.06

I can confirm this behavior. Easy way to reproduce it: Open FM3 edit and cycle the USB connection (e.g. putting and inserting the USB cable). Froze the complete unit, except audio for me.

Only FM3 Edit running, no DAW openend.

I received my FM3 on 9/10 and had my first freezing issue today after not previously experiencing any issues.

I can’t reproduce it, but I had just created a new preset as I’d done a couple dozen times. It all seemed fine and then I hit a footswitch to go to another preset.

• The unit stopped making sound.
  • None of the buttons or knobs responded.
  • The 1st and 3rd footswitch text strips had their preset names, while middle one said “MstrLayout” or something like that.
  • The FM3 was securely attached to my 2020 iMac via the USB cable.
  • I was using FM3 Edit to create the preset and make changes.
  • I think Apple Logic was running in the background because I’d used it an hour before and when I turned off the FM3, I got the message that says “The last used interface is not connected blah blah blah”. So I believe the FM3 was connected to both FM3 Edit and Logic via USB.

Not sure if any of this is useful but that’s as much as I can remember.

I received my FM3 on 9/10 and had my first freezing issue today after not previously experiencing any issues.

I can’t reproduce it, but I had just created a new preset as I’d done a couple dozen times. It all seemed fine and then I hit a footswitch to go to another preset.

• The 1st and 3rd footswitch text strips had their preset names, while middle one said “MstrLayout” or something like that.
  • I think Apple Logic was running in the background because I’d used it an hour before and when I turned off the FM3, I got the message that says “The last used interface is not connected blah blah blah”. So I believe the FM3 was connected to both FM3 Edit and Logic via USB.

yup anything helps. i'm aggregating the reports to look for similarities. thanks!

i think yours is the first to mention a "new preset" so i'll try that later today.

I can confirm this behavior. Easy way to reproduce it: Open FM3 edit and cycle the USB connection (e.g. putting and inserting the USB cable). Froze the complete unit, except audio for me.

Only FM3 Edit running, no DAW openend.
I just tried reproducing it this way and was unable to several times. Tried both with and without the USB connected to the FM3 when opening FM3 Edit, then plugging the USB cable in or unplugging then plugging in the USB cable.

I did have issues with the USB connection on the first FM3 unit I received- it wouldn't connect at all to any computer. Sent it to FAS for repair and eventually received a replacement unit and have had zero issues since. Nothing with FM3 Edit, any other USB related issues nor have I experienced any reported issues that seem to be related to firmware updates.

FWIW, I've had zero freezes since I got my FM3 back in June. I'm using mine for hours every day, mostly teaching online currently, as well as a couple of sparse gigs. I generally stick to one patch, but when I'm switching between bass and guitar students, I'll switch patches. I do a lot of scene switching, but it's mostly via MIDI with an MC6. I only use the 3 onboard switches for scenes 7-8 and the master layout button, and those are my least two used scenes. Since I'm rarely using the switches, maybe it has to do with that.

I had 2 freezes occur to me in the past week. Unfortunately I did not attempt to identify a pattern. I will make sure and try to see if there's a pattern. The only connection I can see is using a daw and having the fm3 running usb to my computer

Thought - I’m on my second FM3, the first locked up several times. The second hasn’t once.

Could it be a hardware fault in some units?

Just trying to help

Thought - I’m on my second FM3, the first locked up several times. The second hasn’t once.

Just trying to help
That is what I have been wondering. Difficult to reproduce at FAS and problems identifying common configurations with users reporting the freeze ups. Hmmmmmm.... :wink:

I’ve only had one hiccup since March, I got the white screen recently, and I’m chalking it up to scrolling through presets too fast with the big knob.

Just trying to help

I'm wondering that also. Some people get them, while others don't. Kinda weird.

I just tried reproducing it this way and was unable to several times. Tried both with and without the USB connected to the FM3 when opening FM3 Edit, then plugging the USB cable in or unplugging then plugging in the USB cable.

I did have issues with the USB connection on the first FM3 unit I received- it wouldn't connect at all to any computer. Sent it to FAS for repair and eventually received a replacement unit and have had zero issues since. Nothing with FM3 Edit, any other USB related issues nor have I experienced any reported issues that seem to be related to firmware updates.
Okay, did you power cycle the unit, so that FM3 Edit tries to connect to the FM3 and says "communicating"? I toggled my USB in this phase, reproducibility was 3/3.

Just for the book, I didn't have freeze issues with my unit, except when I fast change the function of a FC using FM3 Edit, changing the view and change another FC function. But again, I think the FC setup is the slowest part of the unit (hey, any improvements in speed here? :) ).
All else, the unit is pretty stable, even when loading preset from the FX III which need way more CPU (which was a problem with old firmwares).

Last edited:
My guess would be that there's a race condition. In my patches, I'm using 65%+ CPU and when I experience the freeze, it's when I'm switching between scenes somewhat rapidly (e.g. at the beginning of a song I switch to scene 3 but then quickly switch to 4 since that's really the one I wanted). It could also be that making expression control changes at around the same time as switching scenes hits this.

In my case each of the three switches is a toggle switch + long press. E.g. switch 3 toggles between two Lead scenes and a long press increments the view. This is working pretty well and enabled me to not need the omg9 as much as I thought I would :)
(I still have that option though)

My guess would be that there's a race condition. In my patches, I'm using 65%+ CPU and when I experience the freeze, it's when I'm switching between scenes somewhat rapidly (e.g. at the beginning of a song I switch to scene 3 but then quickly switch to 4 since that's really the one I wanted). It could also be that making expression control changes at around the same time as switching scenes hits this.

In my case each of the three switches is a toggle switch + long press. E.g. switch 3 toggles between two Lead scenes and a long press increments the view. This is working pretty well and enabled me to not need the omg9 as much as I thought I would :)
(I still have that option though)
Does this happen fairly reliably on a particular preset? If so, could you please send me said preset and your system settings? If you're using an external FC or switch to do the scene changes, that would also be useful to know. Feel free to message me directly if you prefer.

Does this happen fairly reliably on a particular preset? If so, could you please send me said preset and your system settings? If you're using an external FC or switch to do the scene changes, that would also be useful to know. Feel free to message me directly if you prefer.

When I've had footswitch freezes this firmware I am 90% sure I was on the scenes FC layout and switching scenes. Happens just irregularly enough for me to not spot an obvious pattern but often enough for me to be concerned about it happening during a gig. So far it has frozen up during one rehearsal but luckily we were in between songs at the time. Would really suck if that happened during a gig, especially with the audio pops that occur on startup.

I have all day to jam today, I will see if I can record it happening again

PM'd my settings and the preset I was using. Thanks for following up.

I just had mine lock up. I've had it for about a month - first lock up. This was similar to the above except it happened just after I had copied and pasted some presets into some unused slots using manage presets. I was still connected to the editor. I don't think I had paused it, and went to switch to a different preset on the FM3. It locked up and the middle strip said MstrLayout. The screen went blank/black as well. None of the Input LEDs would light up and the foot switches were unresponsive. The unit still passed sound but got like a buzzy crackly sound at times.

I had quit Logic before firing up the editor so I know Logic was not running in the background. MacBook running Catalina.

I restarted the FM3 and everything seems fine again.

i have had a no hp unit since March
i did have some USB issues but have never had the freezing or lockups
until 1.05 and 1.06 so my best guess if it is not hardware it is something recently introduced in the last month
updates thats either causing o compounding the issue

I have also had the FM3 since March. I have had various Freeze ups. I can't really put a finger on the cause.
I do not have a DAW. I always use FM3 EDIT.

but it is Friday !!! ...... :)

Back
Top Bottom