FM3 Firmware Release Version 1.06

My FM3 switches locked up a few times at rehearsal tonight. When it happens, it's only the footswitches that don't work anymore. I can still reach down and e.g. change the scene using the arrow keys. Is this what folks are running into?
Restarting seemed to be the only way out and in such cases it can be good to be able to optimize the boot process (i.e the empty presets trick)

1.07 should be out any day now. Let's see what that brings. Hopefully there are a few nice surprises.

I still have the odd freeze up with mine but other than that, zero issues really. Would be nice to get some of the new features in it though.

I just cannot play gear live that has intermittent freeze ups. Maybe it would be fine, but it’s also possible that things would go colossally bad. My last freeze was 2 hours before leaving the house for a gig! That’s just not a chance I’m prepared to take anymore.

Embarrassment issues aside, dudes with (perceived) crappy gear don’t get hired back.

Hope these issues get resolved very quickly.

I'm betting on FAS to deliver. Got to remember it's a newer product for them. The AX3 has been going for awhile now and is more inline with former AXE units. The FM3 as it is right now, is still better than anything else in it's class.

strange- my lockups only occuring during heavy editing with FM3-Edit and sitching fast forward and back presets or something elese
playing the unit and switching presets or scenes never caused freezes or lockups until now

kinda blows my mind anyone would complain about updates. i want horizon drive and Acheron as bad as anyone, but take your time and do it right FAS. I couldn't be more happier with my FM3
We live in the age of entitlement. Not in the sense that people feel they "deserve" it but the expectations on developers and producers in all industries are feeling the teeth of the public eye when they dont follow the perceived path. Video games not patching as quick as possible. Movies not coming out when they want. Electronics manufacturers not including features they want. Its a problem thats been around for years, theres just now a very visible way to voice your disdain.

before if you wanted your JMP to sound better..you kinda just had what was in front of you.

kinda blows my mind anyone would complain about updates. i want horizon drive and Acheron as bad as anyone, but take your time and do it right FAS. I couldn't be more happier with my FM3
no no no. The next iteration of updates is going to take their playing to the NEXT LEVEL. They were always just one new amp away from tone nirvana.

On 1.06, I've had a handful of freezes while connected to FM3-Edit. Usually when I have a few pending saves to the FM3. When it happens, the FM3 is locked up, hitting any buttons doesn't do a thing. I do get sound from the current loaded preset and need to reboot.

I'm still using the FM3 solely at home until I can go a week without freezing up. I can't take a chance at a gig, so stuck with the Kemper for a bit longer for gigs. At least I can enjoy the FM3 Master Class for now to keep me busy :)

Seems the freeze ups are random and I know I can't seem to reproduce it (had one just happen, actually). Can anyone else actually reproduce the freezing issues?

In all of the Fractal units I've owned, I can't recall ever having any freezing issues.

@BryantP - can you maybe elaborate on why several of us might be experiencing this? Is there a fix in 1.07 for it?

no no no. The next iteration of updates is going to take their playing to the NEXT LEVEL. They were always just one new amp away from tone nirvana.
Yep its even worse on the other side of the fence with the kemper group. Everytime you see someone releasing a new profile or puts up a video the comments always say "what profile" as if that profile is gonna be the key to unlocking your power level to playing better. I know not everyone is like that. Its just frustrating that the squeaky wheel gets oiled first. I used to be a ton more active on these forums but now its kinda like "why cant the fm3 do what the af3 does" constantly. Just go play. Enjoy it. I am.

We live in the age of entitlement. Not in the sense that people feel they "deserve" it but the expectations on developers and producers in all industries are feeling the teeth of the public eye when they dont follow the perceived path. Video games not patching as quick as possible. Movies not coming out when they want. Electronics manufacturers not including features they want. Its a problem thats been around for years, theres just now a very visible way to voice your disdain.

before if you wanted your JMP to sound better..you kinda just had what was in front of you.

This has nothing to do with entitlement.

This unit has been out since February and is still suffering from USB and freezing issues that have been reported for several months. We've had more than one FW release that was suppose to fix these issues only to have them pop up again. So other enhancements are on hold while the developers continue to try to solve these issues 8 months after the product was released.

I have been lucky. Mine has been functioning well for me and I have not run into these issues. I'm sure no one is more frustrated that FAS, but to call it entitlement is not at all fair. For users suffering from these problems it's simply about wanting a unit that works.

Maybe this is helping the freeze trouble-shooting.
I had a second freeze at home the other day, when I moved around the FM3 while connected to the Editor. The USB cable came loose as part of that movement. The FM3 was frozen (at least the switches, that's all I tried) afterwards and I had to power cycle it. I can't say definitively that it was caused by the USB cable disconnect. Just connecting the USB cable didn't help the Editor to reconnect, but after the power cycle all was good again.

This has nothing to do with entitlement.

This unit has been out since February and is still suffering from USB and freezing issues that have been reported for several months. We've had more than one FW release that was suppose to fix these issues only to have them pop up again. So other enhancements are on hold while the developers continue to try to solve these issues 8 months after the product was released.

I have been lucky. Mine has been functioning well for me and I have not run into these issues. I'm sure no one is more frustrated that FAS, but to call it entitlement is not at all fair. For users suffering from these problems it's simply about wanting a unit that works.
Entitlement isnt the right word, which is why I tried to explain further after. My unit has been fine as well. I also agree that the USB crackling and freezing is an issue that should be addressed and id assume its not as easily replicable on their end, but making thread after thread about why isnt XYZ amp or compressor or so and so...is the problem.

Maybe this is helping the freeze trouble-shooting.
I had a second freeze at home the other day, when I moved around the FM3 while connected to the Editor. The USB cable came loose as part of that movement. The FM3 was frozen (at least the switches, that's all I tried) afterwards and I had to power cycle it. I can't say definitively that it was caused by the USB cable disconnect. Just connecting the USB cable didn't help the Editor to reconnect, but after the power cycle all was good again.
This seems to be a separate issue. Most freeze reports don’t have Edit involved and almost everyone said they were just using footswitches normally.

I can reproduce a “freeze” by having Edit connected, unplugging the USB cable, then plugging back in. Just mentioning they are most likely different scenarios.

That said I spent 2 hours last night trying to make the freeze or footswitch freeze happen. Couldn’t do it. Used any presets people provided, factory and my own, played normally and changed all FS available, tried different combinations and even tried pressing erratically.

Is this happening regularly to anyone? If so, is it possible to stick a camera to record video of the entire FM3 while you’re playing to try and capture it happening in real time? I think the crux is what is happening before it freezes. We’d only need to see say 10 -20 seconds before it happens, then maybe the same after it happens. I’m mostly curious what specific functions are programmed on the switches.

Again, only if it’s happening regularly and has a high repeat rate, as some are reporting.

please direct message me if you make a video like this thanks!

Back
Top Bottom