FM3 Firmware Release Version 1.05

I've also had a quite few freeze ups recently on this latest FW. Have to reboot to clear it every time. Very annoying. Not sure why this and the USB audio issues are taking so long to fix. It's almost been 6 weeks..

I’m going to hold off buying a FM3 until these and future updates bugs are fixed and done right. 6 weeks?

I’m going to hold off buying a FM3 until these and future updates bugs are fixed and done right. 6 weeks?
It depends on what your use case is, I think. Other than one freeze on an earlier version, I've had no issues. I use AustinBuddy's Live Gold pack and I'm not much of a tweaker so thus far everything is working fine for me. If you're into tweaking parameters, recording, or stuff like that, it may be an issue for you.

@Digital Man, if you are not already on the waiting list, you might want to go ahead and sign up now. It could be 6 months before your name comes up and most issues should hopefully be worked out by then. You also are not committed to purchase when your name comes to the top of the list. Based on past history, these issues will be resolved soon. Most core features are working with the latest firmware.

Last edited:
Any idea on when a new firmware will release? There are amazing improvements on the AF3 that has not been added yet, would be so great.

Cheers

Any idea on when a new firmware will release? There are amazing improvements on the AF3 that has not been added yet, would be so great.

Cheers

i dont expect they will be adding
the new drives , or pitch stuff That the A3 has in the next update
it will most likely be a bug fix release IMO

Whenever I get impatient about firmware releases I just think about trying to do basic website coding. Yesterday I was revising part of one of my websites and spent an hour trying to figure out why something wasn't working until I realized I'd left one letter out of a line. Fixed it and everything worked immediately. Coding is hell.

tasks.png

I'm wondering if the delays are related to bug fixes around the new hardware, or if there truly is a big gap between the Axe 3 and FM3 which makes adapting the code much more difficult. It would be hard to imagine they have to start from scratch every time Cliff makes changes on the Axe.

I haven't tried USB recording though, so I'm not blocked in doing anything I want to do. Since I got my FM3 feedback issue fixed, I've had no issues at all that I can recall. No freezing, no issues with the editor, etc.

I'd sure like to play around with a couple of the new pedals though!

I'm wondering if the delays are related to bug fixes around the new hardware, or if there truly is a big gap between the Axe 3 and FM3 which makes adapting the code much more difficult. It would be hard to imagine they have to start from scratch every time Cliff makes changes on the Axe.

I haven't tried USB recording though, so I'm not blocked in doing anything I want to do. Since I got my FM3 feedback issue fixed, I've had no issues at all that I can recall. No freezing, no issues with the editor, etc.

I'd sure like to play around with a couple of the new pedals though!

they mentioned that they have to write Around the different processors so its a coding thing as well as some lingering bugs
Cliff said rewriting the code is a PITA

they mentioned that they have to write Around the different processors so its a coding thing as well as some lingering bugs
Cliff said rewriting the code is a PITA
Here’s a quote from Cliff...

“The Ares architecture is even processor agnostic. The Axe-Fx III uses TI DSPs while the FM3 uses Analog Devices. The Ares architecture was a huge undertaking with the ultimate goal of faster product development and easy synchronization of multiple product lines. It allows me to work on algorithms and new models and the engineers can then easily port those to the other products."

So which is it, processor agnostic, or a PITA?

Yup and I asked directly in this forum a week ago about stuff on the 3 making it to the FM3 and apparently they don't want to answer that question officially because they've chosen not to respond.

I couldn't really care, the FM3 already does everything I need.

Wants are wants after all

Ya Im Happy with my FM3 for Recording and Running it through 2 QSC K10.2 Speakers, sounds pretty darn good, not as good as my Bogner Helios 100 but Very happy to rock it..

Here’s a quote from Cliff...

“The Ares architecture is even processor agnostic. The Axe-Fx III uses TI DSPs while the FM3 uses Analog Devices. The Ares architecture was a huge undertaking with the ultimate goal of faster product development and easy synchronization of multiple product lines. It allows me to work on algorithms and new models and the engineers can then easily port those to the other products."

So which is it, processor agnostic, or a PITA?

also from Cliff

The new SHARC+ DSPs aren't terribly fast. In fact they're a tiny bit slower than the previous generation SHARCs. However you get two DSP cores plus an ARM core in a single package that only consumes a couple watts. They also have dedicated FFT and FIR accelerators whereas the previous generation you could only use either-or. The pipeline in the SHARC+ is a lot longer and there's an extra cycle of instruction latency for many operations which slows things down if you don't code around it. We had to rewrite all our assembly libraries to compensate for this. Pain in the rear.

The memory bus is a little faster though and there's better caching which improves overall performance.

Still, the SHARCs pale in comparison to the Keystone DSP in the Axe-Fx III. That thing is a monster. But it also costs three times as much and needs a lot of ancillary support ICs. The net DSP cost is probably around 7-8 times higher.

Back
Top Bottom