FM3 Firmware Release Version 1.05

I seem to remember some talk about this before, but now I can't find it: When changing delay channels back and forth you sometimes hear what's left in a memory buffer or something. Is there a user setting that will correct this? Is it a bug? Or just how it has to work?

You might be referring to “spillover” google this in manual :)
Thanks, @teddis, but I don't think it's spillover.

Say you have two scenes, one for clean and one for swells. Each scene uses the same delay and reverb blocks, but with different channels active and different delay and reverb types. Then you do something like this:

1) Switch to the swell scene, play something, and then switch back to the clean scene before the delay and reverb have faded out.
2) Don't play anything on the clean scene, so everything is quiet.
3) Switch back to the swell scene. You will then suddenly hear the delay and reverb tails out of no where that you didn't let finish before switching to the clean scene.

To be clear, I'm not complaining that I don't have spillover when I change scenes. That is not that critical for me at this point in time. But, I can't have sound coming out of no where when I switch scenes. I mean, it could happen in a quiet part of a song, or in between songs.

That's true. I just think the worry is that there have been so many hiccups along the way with FM3, that Fractal will throw their hands up and walk away from it early. I certainly hope that doesn't happen.
Well great chime in @TenorKeith I can honestly appreciate that having owned a AX8 and countless other floor multi fx peddles in the past 20 years, only FAS has ever had a patch and feature update regiment that is better than others I have had. I don't see Rockron, Digitech, Line6 and my personal favorite Zoom having any kind of post product release life cycle unless of course Im mistaken in this statement.. maybe a version or two in a year or two then that is it, the support will go dark with the exception of Roland/Boss they are a company that provides driver updates for new OS's in my experience. Basically either your onboard or your not, you either have the unit or you don't.. and if you do not your missing out big time...
All the best,
DaveO

I don't see Rockron, Digitech, Line6 and my personal favorite Zoom having any kind of post product release life cycle unless of course Im mistaken in this statement.. maybe a version or two in a year or two then that is it, the support will go dark with the exception of Roland/Boss they are a company that provides driver updates for new OS's in my experience.
Obviously you aren't familiar with the Helix.

Obviously you aren't familiar with the Helix.
What a lot of people don't realize is like Behringer companies were once a certain way.... A LOT has changed in the last 2 years, even since the Pandemic, if you don't have recent experience with a product or company I would say you are out of touch.

Just my opinion

What a lot of people don't realize is like Behringer companies were once a certain way.... A LOT has changed in the last 2 years, even since the Pandemic, if you don't have recent experience with a product or company I would say you are out of touch.

Just my opinion
Sorry, but I have no idea what you’re trying to say...

But yes, Line 6, with the HX line, definitely has a post-release product life cycle. 5 years and counting.

Still, if people expect updates, there will always be some frustrated folks. Oh well.

Sorry, but I have no idea what you’re trying to say...

But yes, Line 6, with the HX line, definitely has a post-release product life cycle. 5 years and counting.

Still, if people expect updates, there will always be some frustrated folks. Oh well.
I think he was saying that just because a company had a certain reputation years ago doesn't mean the reputation holds true today.

With the helix though... The reason why there is still constant updates is because line 6 have not released any different hardware since it launched... Except for cut down versions. So you can't really compare... Fractal have innovated the hardware continually for better performance or features or whatever...

With the helix though... The reason why there is still constant updates is because line 6 have not released any different hardware since it launched... Except for cut down versions. So you can't really compare... Fractal have innovated the hardware continually for better performance or features or whatever...
Yes the rack is the exact same as the Stomp. Obviously.

Yes the rack is the exact same as the Stomp. Obviously.

I said except for cut down versions.... The stomp is basically exactly the same dsp processor type, but just one instead of two dsps... So you would not have to port the fx/modelling software to a different dsp architecture which is likely not just as simple as a recompile ..... The axfx2, axfx3, FM3, ax8 are all totally different dsp architectures which means it is far more difficult to just make updates across all models, because you would have to optimise to run differently on the different models, plus they have totally different user interfaces as well (mostly).

I think this is correct? Obviously I am not a fractal software developer but I would imagine this is right..

Last edited:
I thought one thing that makes the FM-3 different from the AX-8 is that it is supposed to be able to use the same modeling code base as the Axfx3, easing the task of porting the MODELING to the FM-3 (which will of course be subject to FM-3 processing power limitations).

My impression is that Fractal is still working out the bugs in the code UNIQUE to the FM-3 (e.g. USB handling, user interface, etc). Understandably that is Fractal's priority (and the source of some vocal complaints from some users that core features like USB still don't work properly for them). We all hope and expect that the next version of the firmware is a step forward in that regard.

Once that it is done, hopefully it will become easier to port new Axfx3 features from the modeling side over to the FM-3.

I thought one thing that makes the FM-3 different from the AX-8 is that it is supposed to be able to use the same modeling code base as the Axfx3, easing the task of porting the MODELING to the FM-3 (which will of course be subject to FM-3 processing power limitations).

My impression is that Fractal is still working out the bugs in the code UNIQUE to the FM-3 (e.g. USB handling, user interface, etc). Understandably that is Fractal's priority (and the source of some vocal complaints from some users that core features like USB still don't work properly for them). We all hope and expect that the next version of the firmware is a step forward in that regard.

Once that it is done, hopefully it will become easier to port new Axfx3 features from the modeling side over to the FM-3.
I think that there needs to be optimizations and changes at the low level to make it run smoothly, because although the TI Keystone probably has similar instruction set, the way the instruction pipeline on the FM3 dsp works is very different and probably the memory management, floating point etc.... So I am guessing it will get easier and easier over time to port the new features to the FM3 as they gain more experience with the dsp..

I made that point about week or so ago. The Ares architecture was supposed to be processor agnostic, as stated by Cliff. I wonder if those initial problems with the buggy compiler software they got from Analog Devices is still plaguing them. I know they did a work around. But might there have been more effects than initially known, and do they pop up from time to time in unexpected ways? I'm not a programmer, so I might be all wet here. But there just seem to be buggies popping up all over the place, and Fractal are playing a game of whack-a-mole. It's unfortunate that they had to spend so much precious time on that.

Last edited:
Mine has been working pretty good for a couple months now, but my last session finally acted bad, froze in place and nothing worked for 5 min, that concerns me, can't have this happening while in creative mode, lets get this worked out soon fellas, I love the unit and don't wanna abandon

Look, the FM3 is my first Fractal product and I’m very happy with it.

But I don’t do the USB thing, so I can understand people that do being disappointed.

BUT, the FM3 is almost 2k cheaper than the AFx3, the day will come when the FM3 “is what it is”, now I don’t think that’s anytime soon, but that day will come.

I like to play with Drives.....the AF3 thread is killing me, lol
I have owned this unit since March.....keeps falling behind..... maybe it all comes in one bundle :) and pooooooof, this is all over :)

Back
Top Bottom