FM3 Firmware Release Version 1.05

Just curious, does anyone know how much More CPU the new Drive Block uses on the Axe III compared with the original?
There's a post in the FW 13 beta thread that says how much each type now uses in that FW. But not how much it changed. There's probably a post somewhere with how much they used before - people are really good about collecting that info.

Edit:

FW 13:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...-13-00-public-beta.164208/page-6#post-1968865

Pre 13:

https://www.axefxtutorials.com/axe-fx-iii/axe-fx-iii-block-cpu-usage-estimates/

Edit 2:

Based on a quick eyeball check of those 2 lists, the diode-based types (the ones improved) have about a 3% increase.

Last edited:
Just curious, does anyone know how much More CPU the new Drive Block uses on the Axe III compared with the original?
Curious about this too. I would guess that it will impact the FM3 CPU much more than the Axe-Fx III.

Hmmmmm. I don’t want a device that’s not working when I purchase it. It sounds to me like his engineers working on the FM3 don’t have a clue.

The FM3 can only catch up to the AF3 as much as it's processing power allows(that's the main reason why it's cheaper and smaller). There will be trade offs with what can or should be ported over.
A possible example is the new AF3 Drive Block that uses more processing power than the previous AF3 Drive Block which will be a much larger percentage on the FM3's processing power. It may be possible to 'eventually' rewrite the block program to be more efficient but that's speculation. Another possibility is that they could add more resolution downgrade choices(economy) for blocks that don't currently have them however, all of this will take time!

i would honestly be more concerned about the pitch block and comps
and Ultra res IR i think those will be a bigger bump than the drive stuff IMO

Hmmmmm. I don’t want a device that’s not working when I purchase it. It sounds to me like his engineers working on the FM3 don’t have a clue.
The FM3 has been rock solid for me since upgrading to 1.05. I don’t do the USB audio thing though. I just don’t think it’s fair to characterize the way you have. Most aspects of the device are outstanding, and they are working on USB.

A new firmware is in beta test.

I sat down with the engineers a week or two ago and explained to them what I thought they were doing wrong wrt USB audio. I think it finally sunk in as the initial reports are that the USB audio is fixed.

There are still some bugs that need to be addressed before a public release.

Fixed on the III as well?

i would honestly be more concerned about the pitch block and comps
and Ultra res IR i think those will be a bigger bump than the drive stuff IMO
Some Drive pedals have a 3% increase in CPU on the AX3! On the FM3 that could come out to maybe 12% or more on a device that I and others have already maxed on many presets! I'm not complaining at all. I'm extremely happy to have a smaller less expensive device with Cliffs magic in it!

Im able to Record fine Via USB in Logic, a couple bugs/stability hiccups here and there but Recordings are Good

I had something happen 3 times in a row last night. I have never experienced this type of thing with any Fractal product over the years.
I was adding CS1, to scene 2, to turn on the saturation switch.
The FM3 locked up 3 times. I had to power down the FM3 to try again.
Finally, I turned off the FM3, and the computer. Then started back up and was able to successfully add the CS1 for the saturation switch.
Weird.

I've also had a quite few freeze ups recently on this latest FW. Have to reboot to clear it every time. Very annoying. Not sure why this and the USB audio issues are taking so long to fix. It's almost been 6 weeks..

Last edited:
I've also had a quite few freeze ups recently on this latest FW. Have to reboot to clear it every time. Very annoying. Not sure why this and the USB audio issues are taking so long to fix. It's almost been 6 weeks..

I understand the frustration at this point but you want to make sure the next release is stable
rushing it out, Still with bugs as Cliff mentioned , will not help the sitiation or let them get back to the fun stuff updates any sooner

I've had over 100 freeze with the FM3 when trying to use modifiers on amp parameters. Waiting for a fix. I proceeded differently in the meantime

Are you saying that now that I have made the change using a modifier for CS1, there is a potential for my FM3 to Freeze in a live situation?

If it doesn't not freeze on studio, it probably won't. But I can only talk about my experience ; I didn't have issues with CS on switches (FAT, saturation etc.), but on parameters like gain etc. I also noticed that using a modifier on delay master feedback freezes my unit. I have no doubt the team will fix all of this.

Back
Top Bottom