FM3 Firmware Release Version 1.04

I can’t say that any of my presents have been over written.....but the discrepancy between FM3 and AE is un nerving when savings stuff ......I can see how maybe stuff gets messed up.

I can’t see how it can be on some and not others ......are you not seeing a difference between the two ?? Are you looking for it ?

Will go back to 1.03 also.....I guess. Lots of weird stuff going on with 1.04 as well. Pretty disappointing experience so far with this thing. As good as it sounds, I've never owned a unit that has had these many issues and weird things going on.
I love the form factor and tones from my FM3 and have no intentions of throwing in the towel, but I have to agree. I was really expecting the firmware and editor to be in better shape at this point. It's obviously not 100% on FAS, I'm sure they didn't factor in a global pandemic and an insidious compiler bug when planning this release. But I was hoping that some of that extra time between what was the expected release date and when units actually started shipping would have resulted in more dev/QA cycles that would have caught some of this stuff.

I can’t see how it can be on some and not others ......are you not seeing a difference between the two ?? Are you looking for it ?

The issue with FM3-Edit not reading the amp block parameters properly only happens if you have not changed channels on the amp block. If users have changed the amp block channel they will never see the issue.

Boot up, open FM3-Edit, and then go take a look at the amp block settings for either Ideal or Authentic. All of the settings will be shown at the default values. Change the amp block channel. The settings are properly read from the unit and the values displayed in FM3-Edit will change accordingly.

Last edited:
I'm editing right on the 3, no AE, and not having any issues with 1.04.

Once I got used to editing on the AFIII I found it faster than AE. Maybe just me.
(By the time I'm playing guitar I'm dead tired of being near a laptop too. That's been true for years!)

I'm having an issue with the Pitch Block on FM3-Edit. The Mix level is defaulting to 50% when I open the block in the editor. This is also reflected in the sound from the unit. Editing on the unit is fine so I guess it's an FM3 Edit issue?

Last edited:
FWIW I updated a couple days ago and noticed the display issue in FM3edit in the amp block. I didn't notice any change in the sound. I did the "refresh after update" thing and I believe it corrected the display in FM3edit and everything was normal. Had rehearsal last night and I"m glad I had the update as I was having some issues with taming the top end in my sound, and they seem to be gone now. Sounds better than ever.

I"m coming from the AF3. Been using the FM3 for about a month I guess, and was thinking of switching back to the AF3 because of my high end trouble but I'm good now.

EDIT: reinstalled FW1.04 and confirmed FM3 edit is behaving as others have reported about amp values not updating correctly in FM3Edit.. It doesn't effect the sound, just the values. I think I just did some minor tweaks to an existing preset before and didn't notice it.

Last edited:
FWIW I updated a couple days ago and noticed the display issue in FM3edit in the amp block. I didn't notice any change in the sound. I did the "refresh after update" thing and I believe it corrected the display in FM3edit and everything was normal.
"Refresh after update" does not correct the FM3 Edit issue for me. I believe others have tried this as well without success.

I really believe FM3 Edit is the culprit here, not necessarily the FM3 firmware itself. If I edit on the unit, all is fine.
This is an important question and answer to help Fractal track down the problem. If removing FM3 Edit from the equation and editing directly on the unit do the problems go away?

I love the form factor and tones from my FM3 and have no intentions of throwing in the towel, but I have to agree. I was really expecting the firmware and editor to be in better shape at this point. It's obviously not 100% on FAS, I'm sure they didn't factor in a global pandemic and an insidious compiler bug when planning this release. But I was hoping that some of that extra time between what was the expected release date and when units actually started shipping would have resulted in more dev/QA cycles that would have caught some of this stuff.

My unit is on hold till this get sorted....

The issue with FM3-Edit not reading the amp block parameters properly only happens if you have not changed channels on the amp block. If users have changed the amp block channel they will never see the issue.

Boot up, open FM3-Edit, and then go take a look at the amp block settings for either Ideal or Authentic. All of the settings will be shown at the default values. Change the amp block channel. The settings are properly read from the unit and the values displayed in FM3-Edit will change accordingly.

It's not just the amp block; it's all blocks.

Simple test. Go through every preset and look what Delay is being used on each. You'll see the editor will say every preset uses the same type of Delay block.

It's not only the same type of delay. It's the delay or amp from the previously viewed preset in Edit. There's some weird caching thing going on. If you go to the unit UI and edit the block in question, Edit will refresh with the correct info.

In addition to blocks, switch assignment is all screwed up in Edit.

It's unlike FAS to have these kinds of issues with code quality. I haven't seen a bad release in like...ever.

At least it seems the problem is just in the editor, and if you can get by using just the device itself, everything is fine. I'm sure they will sort out the editor soon. The device still sounds great!

"Refresh after update" does not correct the FM3 Edit issue for me. I believe others have tried this as well without success.

Hmm,, I updated Monday or Tuesday and wasn't really paying attention so I may be wrong.

If I can make some time I'll reinstall the firmware and see if I have the same issues you guys reported and just missed it. Just trying to help the community and I don't want to put bad info in the thread. I don't see how the issue could vary from unit to unit unless it's something specific in the presets/blocks being used?

EDIT: FINALLY got around to reinstalling FW1.04 and Refresh after update doesn't correct the issue. It's a real pain in the butt if you're doing much editing with FM3.

Last edited:
Simple test. Go through every preset and look what Delay is being used on each. You'll see the editor will say every preset uses the same type of Delay block.
So you've listed specifically the Amp and Delay blocks only.

@chris said the same thing.

I've only seen others post issues with Amp and Delay blocks.

Have you actually seen it on any other blocks? Otherwise, this statement seems wrong:

It's not just the amp block; it's all blocks.

Back
Top Bottom