FM3 Firmware 1.06 Public Beta 3

I didn’t use the Diffusion parameter to sub the Delay block as a reverb. I use it to diffuse the repeats slightly so they aren’t so in your face (along with the Drive parameter and a touch of modulation). I can live without it, I’ll accept that it’s a bit more esoteric and stability/quality is more important.

I wish there was a way to tap into the feedback loop of the Delay block, that would be a game changer.

My eyes aren't the best, but I'm not seeing any.
You are probably right... I thought I saw a couple extra.... I don't use much other than the TS, Sd1, blues breaker, treble boost models so havent even really tried some of the existing models....! I found the sheer number of amp models made it hard for me to choose as well! Not a bad thing.

This one sucks for me... big time!... Removed “Diffusion” parameters from the Delay blocks due to CPU constraints.

This enabled me to setup one of the Delay blocks as a (very low CPU) Reverb stand-in. Removing that ability may put most of my presets out of reach in the FM3:(

I've been porting over some presets this week and was surprised how many were (barely) fitting with some creative thinking. But this will really change that.

@BryantP Any chance that there is another way around this? Maybe only remove that parameter from Delay block 1? Or slightly lower the Delay block resolution, or total available time, or something? Or add a new Delay model type (Faux Verb? Delay/Verb? Moke/Verb?..lol), optimized for that purpose, with other unnecessary(?) parameters removed?
is this removed from the Plex blocks also? If not, theyare what I used for fauxverb.

We had to make a management decision. Under certain circumstances (using an Amp block and two Delay blocks with Diffusion on) the second DSP could get overloaded. The easiest solution at this time was to remove the Diffusion parameter. If we are able to improve the code efficiency we will reinstate the parameter.

You have to realize the FM3 has only about 1/5 the DSP power of an Axe-Fx III. Trying to fit all those goodies in there while not sacrificing audio quality is a balancing act. I ALWAYS insist on quality over quantity. That's what differentiates our products. It takes a LOT of horsepower to do it right.
Cliff
How can the DSP power only be 1/5 ? Has/Was this stated during launch ?
Seems the power is continually dwindling away from the start. I thought the two(2) 500 MHZ Sharcs would be around 30%-40% of the two(2) 1 GHZ cores of the AXE 3 . I must be missing something here.:confused:

Cliff
How can the DSP power only be 1/5 ? Has/Was this stated during launch ?
Seems the power is continually dwindling away from the start. I thought the two(2) 500 MHZ Sharcs would be around 30%-40% of the two(2) 1 GHZ cores of the AXE 3 . I must be missing something here.:confused:
If the CPU power doesn't meet your requirements there are other products available.

“I’ve been crazed and diffused for so long…”
It’ll be OK: The diffusion parameter is turned on for my memory... as is the delay... elay.. ay... and the feedback and the looper ...
Ah! There's the mute!

Thank's for the quick response.
I was hoping for a Fractal solution.(floor board). Guess I'll keep looking.
1/5th the processing power doesn't equal 1/5th of the Axe III's capability. My understanding is that Fractal has tweaked the amps and effects to run on the FM3 while retaining the same quality in the amp tones and effect sounds. Sometimes looking at things on paper doesn't translate to real world application.

Presets that I have imported to the FM3 from the Axe III have increased the CPU usage @ 30-40% (i.e. an Axe III preset running @ 60-65% runs @ 75-85% on the FM3), lower than I thought it would be.

The "good reverb" was not removed. The reverb block defaults to Economy. If you want the higher quality reverb it's a switch away.

UltraRes IRs were not removed. The algorithm has not been ported yet. It's on the to-do list. Fixing the USB audio that some users were experiencing, but not all took priority.

It's not an Axe-Fx III. It IS, however, the most powerful device in its price range. It also has the industry's best amp modeling and effects and it doesn't cost a "shit ton".

I already explained why the Diffusion was removed and I also explained that we may be able to reinstate it if we can improve code efficiency.

Take this as your first warning. If you continue to display this level of aggression your account will be suspended. This is not The Gear Page. We work together here. We do our best to offer the most bang for the buck and we have to weigh overall device functionality and sound quality over esoteric features.
What a magnificent answer.
I have never saw place where the developers and the customers of a product interact in such a constructive way like i have seen on this forum.
Here we have also the promotors -like Leon, Austin, Marco, Yek, Moke and Greg amongst many others- that give us continous feedback about how to use this marvelous machine.
As someone before me already said: this is only FW 1.XX, so there is a big road of improvement ahead of us, both users and developers.
Respect before everything. Among us and to the developers.
Thanks FAS.

Thank's for the quick response.
I was hoping for a Fractal solution.(floor board). Guess I'll keep looking.
You'd be surprised at how good, sufficient, amazing, "fractal" (that says it all) the FM3 is. I have both the Axe FX 3 and the FM3. The FM3 is a real solution. Apart from being less than half the cost of the Axe FX 3, the form factor is very ergonomic and the switching is super easy to navigate.
What it won't do, is the monster kitchen sink. You'll have to chose what your presets are best at and stick to that. (Mind you, I have a preset that runs close to 80% CPU that can get me through 90% of everything I do). But it is remarkably powerful. It's just the Axe FXIII is so ridiculously powerful that it puts everything to shame, including other Fractal products.

Actually, do you already have an FM3 or are you dissatisfied only on hear-say and specs?

1/5th the processing power doesn't equal 1/5th of the Axe III's capability. My understanding is that Fractal has tweaked the amps and effects to run on the FM3 while retaining the same quality in the amp tones and effect sounds. Sometimes looking at things on paper doesn't translate to real world application.

Presets that I have imported to the FM3 from the Axe III have increased the CPU usage @ 30-40% (i.e. an Axe III preset running @ 60-65% runs @ 75-85% on the FM3), lower than I thought it would be.
Hmmm, I can't get an AxeIII preset of 60-65% cpu to load in my FM3 without the warning coming on. BUT, it can do everything I need it to, albeit with more presets.

Ok - my perspective, I’m an early III adopter - and I’ve just sold it and my FC12, in favour of my FM3 and FC6 (I was FC18 with the III)

I’m able to do all I need to do with the FM3, and I’ve switched because the limitations of DSP stop me creating massive, elaborate patches just to use all the buttons etc. - silly but I found myself doing it, really one amp, two IRs - that should be enough.

I’ve got a Boss RV500 Mounted next to my FC6, this is hooked up via midi and takes care of all reverb - additionally it provides a tap tempo button (which is handy)

In front I have my King of Tone, not for the sound - but to use it, and also to save two foot switches (since I always tended to use two KoT).

With this set-up I can run the FM3 with an amp, a drive, a wah, compressor, filter, looper, volume, two delays and I’m only at 60% typically - there’s plenty of power there. I use the input boost on the amp too, and room in the cab block.

Is it as powerful as the III? No way, but it sound amazing and I love the smaller footprint and constraint of DSP, it’s actually liberating and the constraint is in my mind - there’s plenty there.

Fun fact, I also bought an Origin Effects Cali compressor and a Dunlop Fuzz Face - put those in front and they sounded amazing, thought - wow these are the real thing.

Just before I stuck them down I dialled up an optical compressor block and a Fuzz Face drive block and played with the basic controls. Couldn’t believe it - sounded the same, I meant exactly the same as the pedals - which have now been returned to the store!

I would say, stop complaining about perceived shortcomings and instead embrace what the technology can do - which is very, very impressive (and seamless, the KoT in front never messes up the A/D and the midi with the RV500 has been plug and play)

Back
Top Bottom