FM3+FC6+ Electro-Voice PXM-12MP pair

The last several weeks I've been taking my FM3+FC-6 and a pair of Electro-Voice PXM-12MP to a local jam, where I've been playing through them for three hours a night, with a blues, jazz, neo-soul, R&B group.

I'm using a couple presets I put together or modified, one's my spin on my ToneKing Imperial Mk II, another is my spin on my LoneStar Special, and then an ODS-type last Monday. The first two are my remaining tube combos and I'm very happy with their sound, and I'm happy with the presets I'm using as they sound and feel like the amps. I don't have an ODS, but I ran the preset all night last Monday and feels really good too. I much prefer being able to control the amp from the guitar's volume control, and the FM3 responds to the guitar and my picking really well. I have a Mesa Mk IV preset I've been tweaking which will be on deck next Monday. I expect it'll sound great with my PRS Studio or DGT.

I've been really happy with the sound and the responsiveness of the FM3, my tweaked OMG9, and the EVs. With the EVs on their channel 1 set to 0db and the second monitor EQ setting, and the FM3 on OUT 1 at +4db with the knob at about 1PM, I'm easily holding my own with the rest of the house band, including another guitar next to me using a Fender Twin Tone Master or a Hot Rod Deluxe. I often pull back the volume to balance with him so having the power and the option of stereo output is always nice. I haven't needed to adjust the EQ on the FM3 or the presets at all, it just sounds good.

It's simple, it works, it sounds really nice.

Haven’t had an opportunity to try out a wedge and haven’t been gigging. I’m running a Headrush 112 and it’s boomy on the floor. Do you get any of that from your EVs?

Haven’t had an opportunity to try out a wedge and haven’t been gigging. I’m running a Headrush 112 and it’s boomy on the floor. Do you get any of that from your EVs?
I had a 112, and they're boomy in my opinion. The highs are also kind of shrill.

Any speaker on the floor is going to have some added bass, compared to being on a stand because of Floor-coupling. The EV seems to be better isolated and I suspect the cabinet, being smaller, has a higher resonance frequency. So, yes, the EV has some but isn't really objectionable. Perhaps it's because I purposely put them at the back edge of the stage so it's less likely to flex and resonate. I use the second EQ curve in their settings which seems to be flatter and isn't as scooped as the first curve, so maybe the mids are standing out better.

FWIW, I always put my speakers up on stands. I want to hear them on-axis, and don't want floor coupling. it means carrying stands, and setting the rig up, instead of just putting it on stage, but it's worth it to me.

Not that I'm gigging or anything...

Last edited:
I had a 112, and they're boomy in my opinion. The highs are also kind of shrill.

Any speaker on the floor is going to have some added bass, compared to being on a stand because of Floor-coupling. The EV seems to be better isolated and I suspect the cabinet, being smaller, has a higher resonance frequency. So, yes, the EV has some but isn't really objectionable. Perhaps it's because I purposely put them at the back edge of the stage so it's less likely to flex and resonate. I use the second EQ curve in their settings which seems to be flatter and isn't as scooped as the first curve, so maybe the mids are standing out better.

True assessment of the HR112. That’s why I’m looking at other options. My plan right now is to build 2 112 cabs loaded with the Celestion FR speakers. But then I’ll need a power amp. Those EVs look great for sure. If I had one of those playing in a small garage or studio with some guys would they project for everyone to hear me? If I’m not running into the PA that is.

My plan right now is to build 2 112 cabs loaded with the Celestion FR speakers. But then I’ll need a power amp.
2 1x12 would be good. I thought of having some cabinets made, then stuffing them, and using some plate amplifiers. There's some interesting ones out there.
If I had one of those playing in a small garage or studio with some guys would they project for everyone to hear me?
Yes, I think so. According to EV they have a 90º dispersal angle instead of a narrow angle like most monitors with a separate tweeter. I haven't ever moved too far from in front of them to see. That's actually part of the reason I got two, so I can point them different directions if I need to cover a crazy room.

Back
Top Bottom