FM3 + FC-6 = OMG9!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am pleased to announce the release of OMG9, a set of foot switch layouts for the FM3 when used with a single FC-6 controller.
Does OMG9 have a 10-key function that can allow instant random access to any preset and/or any bank/layout? Thanks!

A 9-footswitch setup with 10 footswitches would really be something!
That was a good one Matt -- It could work if:
  1. you program 10-key mode and a way to engage it
  2. you program 10 key mode, such that any switch can function as a momentary zero input (10th switch) on press-hold (only while in 10-key mode)
  3. upon entering of the last digit, OMG9 exits 10-key mode. The number input by 20-key mode triggers a user-built stream of messages that configures the OMG9 exactly the way the user wants it set up for that particular "preset/layout/bank" via a switch/bank mapping function
Instant random access is why I still use a Gordius Little Giant. I decided to buy the LG because I mentioned a 10-key function as an idea and Xavier programmed it in 24 hours.

Last edited:
What am I missing here? When I'm using the OMG9 layout and having a FC6 hooked up, can I see the footswitches of the FM3 and the FC6 on FM3 Edit at the same time and make changes to each switch from that screen? I must be missing something simple here? I can see the FM3 footswitches, but not the FC6 footswitches? Make sense?

What am I missing here? When I'm using the OMG9 layout and having a FC6 hooked up, can I see the footswitches of the FM3 and the FC6 on FM3 Edit at the same time and make changes to each switch from that screen? I must be missing something simple here? I can see the FM3 footswitches, but not the FC6 footswitches? Make sense?

FM3 switches are only Layout 8
Any other Layout will show on the FC6.
If you want to see what the FC6 shows on FM3 Edit, just pick the layout you want to edit and VIEW AS FC6.

Very nice feedback all, especially @Patzag and @JazzByProxy

Let's utilize the un-used layouts to embed a setup that can be used without an FC-6 connected.
Technically, we have four to use: 4, 6, 7, and 9! I'd like to have:
  • Bank of 3 preset switches
  • bank +1, bank -1
  • Tuner
  • Tap Tempo
  • 8 scenes
  • Looper Access
  • At least 3 effect IA switches, if not more.
These alternate layouts will be based as closely as possible on the default FM3 layouts.

I think I finished building this. Maybe I'll call it the OMGWTF93.

The OMG9 functionality is the same with one exception: From the FM3, holding Scenes switch (middle) it takes you to what I'm calling "WTF3" mode (as in "WTF, where did my OMG9 go!"). In WTF3 mode all three switches on the MLM turn purple to give a quick visual indication you're not on the OMG9 anymore. Additionally, the MLM text changes as follows.

NOTE: In every view you go to in the WTF3 mode, you can hold the middle button to get back to the WTF3 (or OMG9) MLM.

The three buttons in the WTF3 MLM are:
  • WTFPRESETS (hold to access tuner and tap tempo)
  • WTFSCENES (hold to return to OMG9 MLM)
  • WTFEFFECTS (hold for looper)
These will take you to a couple Layouts/Views, but the bottom line is that in the WTF mode you have:
  • 6 preset switches across two views (see bank size note further down)
  • Bank +1 and bank -1 (see bank size note further down)
  • Tuner
  • Tap Tempo
  • 8 Scenes
  • Looper Access (Rec, Play, Erase, Reverse, Once, Half Speed)
  • 12 IA switches
So whenever you want to use the OMG9, boot as normally; the FM3 will default to that Layout (assuming you set it up as described in the OMG9 Guide). The only change is how you access scenes 7 and 8. Before you could hold down the Scenes button for "More" but if you do that now you'll end up in WTF3. Instead, tap the Scenes button then hold down the lower right button to "page" to the next View which has scenes 7 and 8 along with tuner, tap tempo, and a couple of empty Per Preset buttons.

If you are going to go without the FC6, boot the FM3 then hold the Scenes button to go to WTF3 mode. It should feel very similar to how the FM3 is out of the box.

After a bit more testing, the preset recall is a bit challenging in the WTF3 mode. Things get tricky when you can't set a different bank size on the FM3 and the FM6. So in WTF3 mode, there are two PRESET views/pages each containing 3 presets. On page 1, hold the left button for bank down and you hold the right button to go to page 2. On page 2, hold the left button to go to page 1 and hold the right button to bank up. The "page buttons are a different color to help you determine which page you're on.

Edit (22 April): Wait...we have toggle. I should be able to set the preset switches to toggle, correct? That way they can fit on one "view". In the preset view, the left button could toggle between presets 1 and 4, the middle button between 2 and 5, and the right button between 3 and 6 (or 1/2, 3/4, 5/6). I'll have to set that up tonight.

Please test it out to see if it does what @Admin M@ was asking for. If nothing else I got a good education on setting up the layouts lol.

Attachments

• all-layouts_OMGWTF93.fclayout
    84.7 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
I think I finished building this. Maybe I'll call it the OMGWTF93.

The OMG9 functionality is the same with one exception: From the FM3, holding Scenes switch (middle) it takes you to what I'm calling "WTF3" mode (as in "WTF, where did my OMG9 go!"). In WTF3 mode all three switches on the MLM turn purple to give a quick visual indication you're not on the OMG9 anymore. Additionally, the MLM text changes as follows.

NOTE: In every view you go to in the WTF3 mode, you can hold the middle button to get back to the WTF3 (or OMG9) MLM.

The three buttons in the WTF3 MLM are:
  • WTFPRESETS (hold to access tuner and tap tempo)
  • WTFSCENES (hold to return to OMG9 MLM)
  • WTFEFFECTS (hold for looper)
These will take you to a couple Layouts/Views, but the bottom line is that in the WTF mode you have:
  • 6 preset switches across two views (see bank size note further down)
  • Bank +1 and bank -1 (see bank size note further down)
  • Tuner
  • Tap Tempo
  • 8 Scenes
  • Looper Access (Rec, Play, Erase, Reverse, Once, Half Speed)
  • 12 IA switches
So whenever you want to use the OMG9, boot as normally; the FM3 will default to that Layout (assuming you set it up as described in the OMG9 Guide). The only change is how you access scenes 7 and 8. Before you could hold down the Scenes button for "More" but if you do that now you'll end up in WTF3. Instead, tap the Scenes button then hold down the lower right button to "page" to the next View which has scenes 7 and 8 along with tuner, tap tempo, and a couple of empty Per Preset buttons.

If you are going to go without the FC6, boot the FM3 then hold the Scenes button to go to WTF3 mode. It should feel very similar to how the FM3 is out of the box.

After a bit more testing, the preset recall is a bit challenging in the WTF3 mode. Things get tricky when you can't set a different bank size on the FM3 and the FM6. So in WTF3 mode, there are two PRESET views/pages each containing 3 presets. On page 1, hold the left button for bank down and you hold the right button to go to page 2. On page 2, hold the left button to go to page 1 and hold the right button to bank up. The "page buttons are a different color to help you determine which page you're on.

Hopefully that's clear as mud.

Please test it out to see if it does what @Admin M@ was asking for. If nothing else I got a good education on setting up the layouts lol.
I can't load this right now but would you mind posting screen shots of FM3 Edit of the layouts you're using for this?

I used all four layouts that weren't being used by OMG9. As @Admin M@ said: 4,6,7, and 9.

KdnGJBv.png

mOvISTI.png

O9tPcDP.png

HrQWP8Y.png

I edited the FM3 only preset layout (WTFPRESETS) so instead of having bank -1 and +1 on different views, the tap functions are toggles. So in the WTFPRESET mode:

button 1 tap: toggle between presets 1 and 2 in bank
button 1 hold: bank -1
button 2 tap: toggle between presets 3 and 4 in bank
button 2 hold: MLM
button 3 tap: toggle between presets 5 and 6 in bank
button 3 hold: bank +1

Jeez, the FM3 is powerful. I'm half tempted to return my FC6. But I won't. :)

Attachments

• all-layouts_OMGWTF93v2.fclayout
    84.7 KB · Views: 10
I'm not completely up to speed on the various layout options at this point. I'm using the FM3 by itself so the factory setup is fine. I am considering an FC6 if we're ever able to perform live again. Does the OMG9 layout replace the Master Layout?

I'm not completely up to speed on the various layout options at this point. I'm using the FM3 by itself so the factory setup is fine. I am considering an FC6 if we're ever able to perform live again. Does the OMG9 layout replace the Master Layout?

Yes it does but you can load up the factory layout again. That takes a little work. It’s not too bad but it would be annoying if you go back and forth a lot. That’s what the layout I posted above is supposed to solve though. Switching between FM3 solo or FM3 with FC6 should be as easy as holding down one switch for half a second. 👍

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom