FM3 FC-6 carry bag or case options

I just ordered the Apache 4800 off of Harbor Freight. Here is a 20% off any single item coupon code: 23966380

The black case is reg $59.99 and the colored ones (yellow, orange, green, and beige) are $62.99. The coupon brought the green one down to ~$50. Add in tax and shipping and it was $61 & change. For light gigging I figure it's fine.

If the foam ends up sucking, I can always get pelican foam off of ebay or Amazon, or any camera shop like adorama, B&H, etc.

I was going to get the 3800 because the FM3 will fit in there, but it only leaves 1/2" of foam on either side I think. The 4800 can fit the FM3, a small (DMC-6 or Morningstar 6-sized) midi controller, cables and maybe 1 or 2 mini expression pedals. That's a grab & go rig right there, so that seemed the better deal even if it was almost twice the price.

For the rest of my pedals I have several modular pedalboards (one for synth, one for bass, one for guitar), and I would store/carry those separately as needed.

Thanks for the tip @Rob13 !!

I just finished working with Studio Slips on a FM3+FC6 bag, and am waiting for it to arrive. Once it does I'll post some photos of it and how everything fits in it. It's a brand new idea for them and took some experimenting on their part but they sound pretty proud of how it turned out.

According to our plans, it has room in a main compartment for the FM3 and FC6, separated by a padded panel. The sides, which correspond to the top or bottom of either unit, have slots allowing insertion of stiffening material to help protect the switches and displays from unwanted pressure or bumps. What that material is is up to the user; I'm going to try using some of the thin plastic cutting boards that are a little flexible and easily cut but strong, but they suggested even thin plywood would fit. I'm assuming that cardboard would also work though it might not be as permanent.

An external pocket will hold pedals, cables, and is sized to hold three of Fractal's EV2 mini expression pedals. Studio Slips separately sells little padded pockets that will wrap the pedals to protect them from each other and whatever else is in the pocket. I ordered those also; I hate having my pedals and cables at war with each other like overcrowded rats.

I had them add a rubberized handle plus the shoulder strap. Normally you get your choice of one or the other.

I've used hardshell cases many, many, times, especially when I was shooting photography and hauling strobes and gear. They add a lot of extra weight and, while they can take a hit and they're convenient to stand on, their added bulk and weight mean they're going to be put in harm's way often, because they're unwieldy. I'm happier with something I can slip over my shoulder or grab and carry in one hand, leaving me ways to grab my gig bag and FRFR cabinet in its bag. In this particular situation I want to travel as light as possible with the FM3+FC6, without a pedalboard underneath it, and protect it from various and sundry things thrown on top of it when on the road.

Why Studio Slips? I've used them for a couple different bags; I had one of their padded clamshell bags for a Boss Nextone Stage 1x12" that was my travel amp, and it fit perfectly, and nicely protected it from bangs it'd get in the back of the car with junk thrown on it. I wouldn't have hesitated to use it on a plane in checked baggage... but the amp wasn't one of my expensive boutique tube amps, and was easily replaced if it got crushed. I also had one of their clamshell bags made for my regular pedalboard; It's lighter and easier to carry than a rolling case, while still being extremely tough. It fits the board and clears the pedals perfectly, with room in the pocket and inside for guitar cables and power extension cords. Also, they're really a great company to work with, happy to make modifications, and they stand behind their work.

They're not cheap, nor cheaply made. They're the sort of thing many people buy after having bought cheap solutions multiple times and having them fall apart or fail to do their job resulting in damage, wasting too much money and eventually being frustrated. I've been there, done that, and won't do it any more. I just bite the bullet, spend a bit more and move on.

Anyway, I wanted people to know there's a custom-fit bag for this combination coming soon.

Last edited:
In a previous post I mentioned having ordered a custom carrying case for the FM-3 + FC-6 from Studio Slips. It arrived this morning, and it's really, REALLY nicely done. It's beyond what I expected.

Studio Slips make regular slip covers, but their best product style, in my opinion, is their clamshell bags, which totally wrap whatever they're designed for, in a nice form-fitting, padded cover. This is such a bag.

Here are some photos...

Right out of the box...
IMG_0427.png

This shows the inner padded divider. It's attached using Velcro so it can be removed if necessary...IMG_0429.png

The FC-6...
IMG_0431.png

The FC-6 with the divider down...
IMG_0432.png

The FM-3 on top of it...IMG_0433.png

The padded slip cover for the small Fractal expression pedal...
IMG_0434.png

...but unfortunately it looks like the padding eats into the length, or the flap isn't long enough to latch to the Velcro. I'll talk to Studio Slips to see what happened there, as we confirmed the size of the pedal twice.
IMG_0435.png

As an update, I received the new pockets and they fit the EV-2 perfectly.

This is the bag with the FM-3 + FC-6 in the main compartment zipped. They fit snuggly so there's no chance of them rubbing together or bouncing around, but there's no difficulty closing the zipper. Two EV-2 fit with some space for cables. I haven't tried to put the AC cord, EV-2 patch cords and a short XLR for the FC-6 in there but I think they'll fit. The unzipped slot below the pocket is for slipping in protective stiffener to spread any pressure across the entire surface of the FC-6 or FM-3, rather than against a switch or display. There's a matching slot on the other side of the bag.

IMG_0436.png

The opposite side slot for a stiffener...
IMG_0438.pngIMG_0439.png

Loaded, the bag weighs 21.6 lbs, and is 13"x11"x10.5-ish". The balance is perfect and nicely tucks under my arm so I easily imagine it'd be convenient carrying a gig-bag, this, and maybe a suitcase or pulling a folding hand-cart. I also imagine we could even have a strap added on the back that'd slide over the handle of a rolling suitcase; Studio Slips are really good about customizing that way.

As I said, I'm delighted with the bag. This is the third bag I've ordered from them and, yeah, they're more expensive than cheap make-do attempts like I used to do but I'm firmly convinced I got what I paid for; Once we get the pedal slip cover tweaked it'll be perfect for what I want, something as compact as possible for travel.

PS. The updated slipcovers came in and fit perfectly. This bag and the covers are exactly what I wanted. I highly recommend them!

Last edited:
In a previous post I mentioned having ordered a custom carrying case for the FM-3 + FC-6 from Studio Slips. It arrived this morning, and it's really, REALLY nicely done. It's beyond what I expected.
Looks nice, and sounds great for ppl who use FAS pedals. But is there room for larger pedals that many of us use, like Mission, etc?

Looks nice, and sounds great for ppl who use FAS pedals. But is there room for larger pedals that many of us use, like Mission, etc?
Not in this particular bag. I wanted them to keep it as compact as possible for traveling.

Studio Slips could add a bigger pocket, however then you'd end up with an unbalanced bag, or a pocket that was lacking the support and stitching space needed to make sure it stays securely attached. I talked to them about using a larger pocket and that was their response.

You could have them make a modification to this design and add additional depth inside the bag, along with an additional divider. Then you could put the pedals on one layer, the FM-3 in another, and the FC-6 on the last layer. That'd still be pretty compact. My bag is small enough I think it'd fit overhead or under a seat on a plane. Adding the additional depth would probably make it too thick to fit under a seat but it should fit overhead.

Not in this particular bag. I wanted them to keep it as compact as possible for traveling.

Studio Slips could add a bigger pocket, however then you'd end up with an unbalanced bag, or a pocket that was lacking the support and stitching space needed to make sure it stays securely attached. I talked to them about using a larger pocket and that was their response.

You could have them make a modification to this design and add additional depth inside the bag, along with an additional divider. Then you could put the pedals on one layer, the FM-3 in another, and the FC-6 on the last layer. That'd still be pretty compact. My bag is small enough I think it'd fit overhead or under a seat on a plane. Adding the additional depth would probably make it too thick to fit under a seat but it should fit overhead.

Greg, do you have a contact name or a model # for the bag. I believe you mentioned you had it custom made so it is probably not in their product line. This is just what I'm looking for and any additional help will be much appreciated!

Greg, do you have a contact name or a model # for the bag. I believe you mentioned you had it custom made so it is probably not in their product line. This is just what I'm looking for and any additional help will be much appreciated!
The Studio Slips website lets you quickly find all products but this is brand new so it's probably not up yet. It's a "custom" bag in their database currently. You can contact Cole, who handles the requests, via email at info@studioslips.com and ask about it. Mention you're referring to the bag on the Fractal Audio forum and he should immediately know which one you're talking about. Sending this link will definitely remind him.

The Studio Slips website lets you quickly find all products but this is brand new so it's probably not up yet. It's a "custom" bag in their database currently. You can contact Cole, who handles the requests, via email at info@studioslips.com and ask about it. Mention you're referring to the bag on the Fractal Audio forum and he should immediately know which one you're talking about. Sending this link will definitely remind him.

Thanks, Greg!

Here's how both can fit into a Pelican Air 1535 Carry-On. I have other stuff underneath in electronics organizer bags - there's plenty of room for cables and small accessories. Not a cheap solution but for me it means I won't worry if I have to check it as baggage. Or be concerned about breakage when drummers help load my gear. 🤣

I'm thinking of getting a 1525 or 1535 for transporting my FM3/FC6 rig. Are you still liking this case for yours and do you have any pictures of the interior without the FM3/FC6 inside? Thanks!

I'm thinking of getting a 1525 or 1535 for transporting my FM3/FC6 rig. Are you still liking this case for yours and do you have any pictures of the interior without the FM3/FC6 inside? Thanks!

Yep, still digging it but haven't gotten to actually take it out of the house more than a handful of times with no gigs happening. I did fly a couple times with the Ax8 in it, fits perfectly in an overhead bin and wheels around very easily, which is key for me. I took these pics back when I first got the FM3, note that the bottom isn't flat all the way around because of the wheels and handle. Good place for cables and whatnot when placing the FM3/FC6 on top. Or a layer of foam.

IMG_1179.JPGIMG_1180.JPG

Yep, still digging it but haven't gotten to actually take it out of the house more than a handful of times with no gigs happening. I did fly a couple times with the Ax8 in it, fits perfectly in an overhead bin and wheels around very easily, which is key for me. I took these pics back when I first got the FM3, note that the bottom isn't flat all the way around because of the wheels and handle. Good place for cables and whatnot when placing the FM3/FC6 on top. Or a layer of foam.

Thanks, appreciate it! I think that might be just what I need

I just ordered a Condition1 839 case that will hopefully be sized big enough for everything listed below. These go for ~$140 new and are made in the USA, so I'm hoping that it will all fit and be good quality.
  • Fractal FM3
  • Fractal FC6
  • Fractal EV1
  • Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170
  • Boss WL-20L
  • Power cables (FM3 & Powerstage)
  • Instrument cable (FM3 to Powerstage)
  • Speaker cable (Powerstage to Cab)
  • XLR cable (FM3 to FC6)
  • anything else i'm forgetting
Measurements:
Outer Dimensions - 24.50" x 19.46" x 8.41"
Inner Dimensions - 21.91" x 16.96" x 7.43" (Lid 1.34" - Base 6.06")
Foam cube size I believe is 0.5"

Did a rough Photoshop mockup with both the EV1 and Powerstage flipped on their sides. White area is where foam will be. At least 0.5" in between everything. Not sure what the edge foam is like, so the foam between the fm3 and fc6 may not have much padding.

Capture.PNG

This is an awesome Peli case 1510 case on wheels....Fits the FM3 + 1-2 EV1 + IEM and guitar wireless pedal and tons of other cables......:)

Attachments

• E0893CCD-6523-4028-B4C1-10809922A59B.jpeg
    E0893CCD-6523-4028-B4C1-10809922A59B.jpeg
    44.7 KB · Views: 53
I have an old school roller laptop suitcase- you know, one with a retractible handle? Perfect for carrying my FM3 and FC6, plus all the cables and other things. Look around, people get rid of these every day for cheap!

Back
Top Bottom