FM3 FAQ

I’ve used my FM3 connected to my Scarlett Solo interface. But yesterday I wanted to try using FM3 as my main interface and connected my studio monitors in output 2.

PROBLEM:
No audio from Macbook. So FM3 isn’t working as audio interface for some reason. FM3 Edit works fine and I can find FM3 from mac’s audio out/in settings. I can play guitar and get the guitarsound out, but as said the audio interface part doesn’t work atm.

Any tips how to troubleshoot?
Mac dose not need drivers to be installed by end user but they do need to get installed If I'm not mistaken and to do that you should plugin the FM3 when connected to internet, you should be able to confirm its working in system preferences/sound here's a link for the how to...

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/change-the-sound-output-settings-mchlp2256/mac

Thats too bad, only other thing I can think of off hand is permissions, make sure your logged in as a admin,
Yeah, I can’t figure this problem out… I’m the only user on my MBP and use it as admin. Thanks anyway DaveO!

Mac dose not need drivers to be installed by end user but they do need to get installed If I'm not mistaken and to do that you should plugin the FM3 when connected to internet, you should be able to confirm its working in system preferences/sound here's a link for the how to...

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/change-the-sound-output-settings-mchlp2256/mac
To clarify this a bit: Macs, whether they're desktops or laptops, do NOT need USB drivers installed. They are preinstalled.

FM3 and FX3 do not have sound output controls visible in the Sound Output dialog; You can select them as output devices, but can't control the volume to them. They've already got volume controls so control the volume on the unit itself.

The sound over USB is on channels 1 and 2. Check the bottom right corner below to see the USB input 1 and 2 volume from the Mac, and confirm it is not turned all the way off on your unit. You can use headphones plugged into the FM3 to triangulate that the problem is inside the FM3 and not in the audio cable or monitors.
Screen Shot 2021-06-26 at 4.03.14 PM.pngProblems with USB are most often a bad cable, an unpowered hub, or too many hubs chained. If the FM3 doesn't work on two different computers using different cables then odds are really good it's the FM3. It's conceivable that both Macs need their SMC chips reset, and since that's an easy thing to try it's worth giving it a go. If there is something installed on both computers that messes with the USB that could be the culprit; I don't remember if SAFE mode enables the USB, but it'd be worth trying a restart into SAFE mode then do a system report and see if the FM3 is visible on the USB bus. After that, if the FM3 isn't visible, do a shutdown, disconnect all other USB devices except the FM3, then restart and see if it's visible. If not, move it to different USB ports and try a different cable. If it still isn't visible I'd go to Fractal's support.

Last edited:
Thanks, I figured it was something like that like on the one on the Kemper. It's a bummer that it's not working yet according to the Wiki page.
Got an other question ( could be that I'm rubbish at searching the wiki page) but are there any chance to use two amps and cabs the summing them to output one at the end like the Axe fxIII? and is there a fuse somewhere inn the unit probably a stupid question. but i'm a pedal and amp guy that wants something small when I need to use any other means of transport than a car, cuz the amp and cab situation are a pain on trains and flights, not to mention that my pedalboard and the flightcase for that weighs a ton in and of it self. can get pricy depending on the company.

Thanks, I figured it was something like that like on the one on the Kemper. It's a bummer that it's not working yet according to the Wiki page.
Got an other question ( could be that I'm rubbish at searching the wiki page) but are there any chance to use two amps and cabs the summing them to output one at the end like the Axe fxIII? and is there a fuse somewhere inn the unit probably a stupid question. but i'm a pedal and amp guy that wants something small when I need to use any other means of transport than a car, cuz the amp and cab situation are a pain on trains and flights, not to mention that my pedalboard and the flightcase for that weighs a ton in and of it self. can get pricy depending on the company.
FM3 has only one amp block, but you can run stereo cabs in the cab block.
no fuse AFAIK

FM3 has only one amp block, but you can run stereo cabs in the cab block.
no fuse AFAIK
Okay, Got to re-think the layout and if the Axe Fx III would be a better choice, but then downsizing goes out the window. got time to figure it out, it's going to be a waiting list yes/no situation of sorts or pros/cons

Okay, Got to re-think the layout and if the Axe Fx III would be a better choice, but then downsizing goes out the window. got time to figure it out, it's going to be a waiting list yes/no situation of sorts or pros/cons
FM9 runs two amp blocks and is smaller, more portable than the FX3. Perfect middle ground!

FM3 doesn’t have auto impedance, but can you manually change/switch it? What is the workflow with something like a fuzz in the first block?

Back
Top Bottom