FM3 FAQ

What would the USB add to it?

For me, a 4x4 interface built into the mixer I was using anyhow would be super handy. The alternative is to do what I do now and use another interface (RME Babyface) and have to repatch things. I may bust out my old Behringer Totally first world problems here...

General purpose recording with any guitar processor is not for me. They're all fine for their intended purposes but they're all a hassle (to me) for recording anything other than a guitar or bass.

Is output 2 on the FM3 TRS or only TS to go to guitar cabinets, etc. I’m planning on using the FM3 as my main interface and would like to go O1 to studio monitors and O2 to an FRFR. More importantly, could it be possible to have the FM3 send computer audio with processed guitar signal through 01 and only processed guitar signal for 02?? Not sure if this has to do with configuration on the computer side or if its simply not possible!

When I was waiting for the FM3 prior to finally get the AXE FX III, I wanted everything to be top notch on the FM3. I wanted it all...

Now all I want from the FM3 is a good little device that I will bring to jams and enjoy. No need for the Ultra Reverb and all the fanciest features. Just give me a clean firmware with great tones and no latency and I'll be happy.

The FM3 is not the AXE FX III. But it is the best portable modeler on the market.

Hi
I know that there can be 4x4 audio transferred by usb but I need confirmation of what I want to try and achieve.
I need to use the FM3 for travelling in hotel rooms etc and will always use headphones.
But I also will always use my mac for playing backing tracks.
Can someone physically confirm that the guitar sound can be played through the fm3 to the laptop headphones at the same time as audio backing tracks being played on the laptop from iplayer for example not a daw both being listened to at the same time.
If I can't achieve this I'll have to wait for the headphone version..
Many thanks
G \../

Hi
I know that there can be 4x4 audio transferred by usb but I need confirmation of what I want to try and achieve.
I need to use the FM3 for travelling in hotel rooms etc and will always use headphones.
Can someone physically confirm that the guitar sound can be played through the fm3 to the laptop headphones at the same time as audio backing tracks being played on the laptop from iplayer for example not a daw both being listened to at the same time.
Many thanks
G \../

There's a free utility from Apple called AU Lab. You can use it to have audio from the FM3 get routed straight to the built-in output (speakers/headphones).

https://www.apple.com/itunes/mastered-for-itunes/

@hippietim Might have been suggested on another page in this thread but I see the same question asked about the "gap" in switching scenes. Most of us know not to have the editors open but there are still new threads all the time. The FAQ may not stop this but could be useful to steer people to this FAQ. I posted this on the announcements of a facebook group I manage so people can educate themselves before posting and getting blasted lol. Real amps have a gap, pop ,etc. We are spoiled. Another issue is something @chris pointed out is that the change happens on the release of the switch and also if there is a hold function on that switch it can cause further delays. Amp channel changing from scene to scene also has a small gap. Just a suggestion to add to the FAQ but you may not feel it's relevant which is fine. Great write up either way and thank you.

Reading the FAQ that states the FM3's USB A connector has no use is quite annoying as the FM3's manual illustrates the USB A connector being used to connect to a laptop for Recording. I've just purchased a USB A to USB A high quality lead to use to connect to my laptop for recording/editing etc. I received my new FM3 on the 9th July but using the provided USB cable connecting to the USB B port, the cable was not a good quality cable and unknown to me had removed the pin protector of the USB B interface getting stuck inside the cable. When connecting the cable to my FM, I bent all the pins in my FM3. Luckily the distributor is replacing with a new device and I'm sending my existing one back to them (very good service!) But I got the USB A to A lead as I didn't want to go through that hell again !!! Oh well, I'll need to by a new quality USB A to B cable.

Reading the FAQ that states the FM3's USB A connector has no use is quite annoying as the FM3's manual illustrates the USB A connector being used to connect to a laptop for Recording. I've just purchased a USB A to USB A high quality lead to use to connect to my laptop for recording/editing etc. I received my new FM3 on the 9th July but using the provided USB cable connecting to the USB B port, the cable was not a good quality cable and unknown to me had removed the pin protector of the USB B interface getting stuck inside the cable. When connecting the cable to my FM, I bent all the pins in my FM3. Luckily the distributor is replacing with a new device and I'm sending my existing one back to them (very good service!) But I got the USB A to A lead as I didn't want to go through that hell again !!! Oh well, I'll need to by a new quality USB A to B cable.
The illustration showing the USB A connection in use is in error. Good catch; I've reported it.

Sorry about your bad luck with the cheap cable. May you have a swift return to normalcy.. :)

The illustration showing the USB A connection in use is in error. Good catch; I've reported it.

Sorry about your bad luck with the cheap cable. May you have a swift return to normalcy.. :)

Thanks very much Bro, I just received my replacement FM3 this morning and back on track. It came this time with a quality gold contacts USB lead and works perfectly (although I am now taking extra care removing the cable from the FM3 and checking the cable!, paranoia has set in :) )

Hi
Many thanks
G \../

Your Mac will definitely do this and you don't need to install any extra software like AU Lab. It will be plug and play. You might need to click on the Mac volume icon from your menu bar in MacOS and choose your FM3 as your interface, but I didn't have to even though I already use another interface (IK Multimedia) for other recording/amp sims. That's the beauty of the Core Audio system on a Mac. Usually just plug and play. If you start using a DAW like Logic, you might have to reconfigure your ins and outs. But if all you want to do is play music in iTunes and jam along, both will come through your headphones with no configuration needed. Volume is adjusted in iTunes, level control on the FM3 at some point in the signal chain, and the physical knob on the top of the FM3 for overall once you've balanced the two.

Additionally, yes, every song will sound better coming out of the FM3. Best headphone amp I've come across!

@hippietim Quick question, I have searched but can not find it again, I thought I read that you mentioned you can edit the FM3 with regular midi cables... with a midi interface and the midi thru turned off, can you edit the FM3 with midi cables instead of USB using FM3 edit?

@hippietim Quick question, I have searched but can not find it again, I thought I read that you mentioned you can edit the FM3 with regular midi cables... with a midi interface and the midi thru turned off, can you edit the FM3 with midi cables instead of USB using FM3 edit?

If you mean can you use FM3-Edit over MIDI, I don't think so, it has to be over USB.

If you mean can you trigger most functions in the FM3 using MIDI PC and CC, then the answer is yes.

Is the FM3 a USB MIDI device?
USB provides the FM3 with 4×4 USB audio capabilities when connected to a compatible Mac or PC for use with FM3-Edit, Fractal-Bot, a DAW or other audio applications. Note that the FM3 is NOT a USB MIDI Device. It uses “COMM over USB” channels for Fractal-Bot and FM3-Edit, but will not appear as a MIDI device in a DAW or other MIDI program. See Section 3: USB in the Owner's Manual for more about USB.

Probably discussed many times over but could not find a good search result. :tired: I was trying to look for discussion threads on switching presets/scenes via DAW and what is the workaround on this. Can anyone point me to the right direction?

Edit: Found this, thread but it got me hanging
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/program-change-mapping-and-fm3-switches.158455/#post-1892924

Last edited:
Probably discussed many times over but could not find a good search result. :tired: I was trying to look for discussion threads on switching presets/scenes via DAW and what is the workaround on this. Can anyone point me to the right direction?

Edit: Found this, thread but it got me hanging
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/program-change-mapping-and-fm3-switches.158455/#post-1892924

Hanging?

BTW, you can change presets with a DAW via MIDI Program Change messages and you can change scenes via MIDI CC messages (page 98 of the manual).

Back
Top Bottom