FM3 FAQ

I don't know what's happening here, but Imma brainstorm and talk outta my butt a bit. There's a thing I noticed in my Axe FX 2:
When you have Ultrares mode set on the cab block, it sounds drastically different between the normal res mode, though the IR is set the same.
It just doesn't sound right. It seems, "Normal res" IR's don't sound right on Ultrares cab mode. "Ultra res" IR's don't sound right on Normal res cab mode.

Considering the Cab block has been nerfed in FM3 atm, this is what you may be experiencing...
To test it, use an external IR loader. Or run the FM3 amp block through the Axe FX 3.

Seriously? You can’t and shouldn’t translate a subjective experience with the II (user error because there’s nothing wrong with cabs on the II) over as FM3 advice, if you don’t even own or have used the III or FM3.

Does the FM3 have the same effects as the Axe III - including all the recently added Flanger stuff for example?

Hi! I'm wanting to use the FM3 in the 4-cable-method configuration, and have a question about buffering. I read FAQ (thanks btw, awesome post!) and it talks about there already being a built-in buffer, my question is does that work for going to/from the effects loop? I'm planning on running a 30'-35' loop from the front of stage (pedalboard is just going to have a wireless, FM3, and expression pedal) to my amp's frontend and effects loop (BE100 Deluxe). My first impulse was to get a bunch of DI's (probably overkill), my second is to have 2 buffers (to FX return, and leaving the FX send on the BE100 D), but of course NONE of those things would be ideal. Any light shed on the subject would be amazingly appreciated, and I will instruct everyone in my home to do a circular golf-clap in your honor.

Don't try to solve a problem that you don't have! IOW, try it first. Compare short cable runs with long cable runs and see if there is an appreciable difference. Also, you will most likely want to use a humbuster cable for the return to the amp. The FM3 Input2 has a pad - ideally you don't need any. Output2 has a boost/Pad - adjust this to get the best signal to noise ratio. Just watch out for clipping.

Got it. They also make this one which is only 2 connections if you find you need one.

mrimhq65kjyhohjvwies.jpg

I don't think that was designed for use in a loop.

Don't try to solve a problem that you don't have! IOW, try it first. Compare short cable runs with long cable runs and see if there is an appreciable difference. Also, you will most likely want to use a humbuster cable for the return to the amp. The FM3 Input2 has a pad - ideally you don't need any. Output2 has a boost/Pad - adjust this to get the best signal to noise ratio. Just watch out for clipping.

@mikeransom - During beta testing, @Mark Day tested 4CM with a BE100 - he said it worked great.

I don't think that was designed for use in a loop.

It's meant for right after the guitar but I talked with an EE I know about it and he said
they can benefit any cable/box run outside of the amp.
A lot of amps pre-2000 didn't have buffered loops or used really cheap buffer circuits.
Some still do.

@mikeransom - During beta testing, @Mark Day tested 4CM with a BE100 - he said it worked great.

You’re right, all of that is really smart advice. I have a tendency to over-prepare and over-kill everything, so just taking it as it comes like you’re saying, sounds like the best course. I’ll talk to DF as well since he has also made a million custom switching systems, pedalboards, racks, etc. I’ll consider his word gospel on the matter. Thanks so much y’all, your help has been HUGE! ❤️

Hi guys 1 question before buy : is there more cpu on FM3 than AX8 ? (i mean more equivalent block on the row )
Thanks

It's a hard comparison to make as so much is different. I have definitely collapsed multiple AX8 presets into a single FM3 preset but some of that is due to scenes + channels.

Here's a typical kitchen sink preset for me:

View attachment 65214
Maybe I'm picky and have a bit of OCD but.. there's no need for feedback send/return in that preset :sweatsmile:

Back
Top Bottom