FM3 Fail While Playing

I haven't had enough chance to gig with the FM3 thanks to COVID but it's picking up and my whole summer is booked. Previously I've had the Ax8 and the Axe III. Never experienced the slightest suggestion of a failure with those. But in my years I have had amps go down more than once, not to mention multiple components of a pedal board, or the battery in my acoustic or IEMs, guitar pickup selector, strings breaking...but anyway.

On fly dates, I have a backline amp provided so that is my backup. I always request a Fender Hot Rod since they are readily available just about anywhere, and I run Out 2 into the power amp for onstage monitoring only, then go direct from Out 1 to FOH.

For local dates I recently converted to using a Friedman FRFR instead of a power amp/cab so if the FM3 goes down I am kind of in trouble. I'd love to get a second FM3 as a backup but it's not in the budget at this time.

If there were to be any serious problems with the FM3 I would expect them to present and be dealt with during soundcheck and not just show up in the middle of the gig (we only play 90 minute shows.) The worst case scenario would be failure to power up or process audio. I could work around the screen or a footswitch going out and limp through a gig. If I played a lot of gigs where there was no soundcheck I might bring something alternate that could be switched out quickly if there's no time to diagnose an issue. Even so, those fast changeover situations generally only happen on festivals where there is backline provided.

Honestly, the FM3 is the least of my worries. I also play keyboards and run that from a MacBook pro, so that is the bigger concern for me over a possible failure. My backup solution to the keys failing is....leave it out or play the part on the guitar instead! (and no, it's never happened) :p

Hi guys.

I do not know anyone here in any context beyond this post, my first thread for discussion.
The forum could be anything from active pros who gig the FM3 to people who do not gig. I have no idea. I just assume a mix.

I would like please to ask a question just to players who load up your FM3 gear and use it to perform in public:

- What is your FM3 backup solution when you play a gig?

Thanks very much to those who provided genuine guidance to the support page, and thanks also for all the other help.

Nice to meet you guys, and rock on.
Folks here that have AxeFX III's, or axe FX ultra's or whatever all have backup plans. So I wouldn't narrow the scope to just FM3 guys that play out. I am in a home studio and I have 2 Backup rigs just in case. One is a an Old Boss GX700. The other is a small modeling amp with line outs

I haven't had enough chance to gig with the FM3 thanks to COVID but it's picking up and my whole summer is booked. Previously I've had the Ax8 and the Axe III. Never experienced the slightest suggestion of a failure with those. But in my years I have had amps go down more than once, not to mention multiple components of a pedal board, or the battery in my acoustic or IEMs, guitar pickup selector, strings breaking...but anyway.

On fly dates, I have a backline amp provided so that is my backup. I always request a Fender Hot Rod since they are readily available just about anywhere, and I run Out 2 into the power amp for onstage monitoring only, then go direct from Out 1 to FOH.

For local dates I recently converted to using a Friedman FRFR instead of a power amp/cab so if the FM3 goes down I am kind of in trouble. I'd love to get a second FM3 as a backup but it's not in the budget at this time.

If there were to be any serious problems with the FM3 I would expect them to present and be dealt with during soundcheck and not just show up in the middle of the gig (we only play 90 minute shows.) The worst case scenario would be failure to power up or process audio. I could work around the screen or a footswitch going out and limp through a gig. If I played a lot of gigs where there was no soundcheck I might bring something alternate that could be switched out quickly if there's no time to diagnose an issue. Even so, those fast changeover situations generally only happen on festivals where there is backline provided.

Honestly, the FM3 is the least of my worries. I also play keyboards and run that from a MacBook pro, so that is the bigger concern for me over a possible failure. My backup solution to the keys failing is....leave it out or play the part on the guitar instead! (and no, it's never happened) :p

Great Video Lizzy :)

Back
Top Bottom