FM3 Fail While Playing

Having two FM3 would be redundant so I have a Blug Amp1 b/c - its a backup head, not just pre-amp, and it too fits in a gig bag pocket.
I've used a Boss Katana Head as a backup.

The only thing I've ever had fail at gigs is cables, which is why even pre-digital I didn't go for elaborate pedal boards. I'm a big believer in minimum viable live rig and focusing on playing and engaging with whomever cares to watch the show.

The best thing I ever got was a high quality wireless. Standing in the audience at high volume changed the mix of the band for the better and made playing out more fun. As a backup for that I have a 20' cable : )

Sometimes the pro's technicians have strange decisions for backup. Vivian Campbell 2014: he only got a spare of the JMP-1.
Rig Rundown - Def Leppard's Phil Collen, Vivian Campbell, & Rick Savage (2014) -.png

Phil Collen had everything redundant, though
2021-06-21 09_16_40-Rig Rundown - Def Leppard's Phil Collen, Vivian Campbell, & Rick Savage (2...png

I think I've seen a video where they currently have two Axe-FX III

Last edited:
This is tried and true professional advice. In 35 years of playing, I’ve never had a tube amp fail on the job, but I always carried spares and fuses. In the last decade of gigging FAS equipment, same thing… but I always have a backup ready. As a current example, I keep a FlyRig5 in my case to provide a basic amp and effects. Small, cheap, and will get you through the show if the primary rig goes south. I never gig with just one guitar for the same reason.

I don’t think anyone is saying you shouldn’t be unhappy about the FM3 tanking on you. FAS isn’t happy to see it either, but they’ll get you lined out. Best to take this as a good reason to have a Plan B!
I carry the same FlyRig backup in my guitar my dual gigbag for the same reasons. Luckily, I’ve never had my Fractal rig fail. Well, except the time I stepped on and pulled out the AC cable.

In my line of work its, RAID, Failover and Clustering are the buzzwords that describe the hardware we have in place for redundancy, maybe the music world should have similar configurations that can detect failures and recover without user intervention... Just a thought...

In my line of work its, RAID, Failover and Clustering are the buzzwords that describe the hardware we have in place for redundancy, maybe the music world should have similar configurations that can detect failures and recover without user intervention... Just a thought...

That would duplicate cost and size, plus the extra cost, size and wiring of the switching device that would detect a fail to automatically switch to the second unit. Those who can afford redundant racks usually have a Tech guy that will patch to the second unit in case of failure.

Here is an example of how to build a redundant system for playing Ableton Live with two Apple Mac Mini inside a rack. That shouln't come cheap:
https://mardermusic.com/2017/11/20/how-to-build-a-redundant-rig-for-using-mainstage-or-ableton-live/
The switching in case of failure is still manual, though

Last edited:

On the other hand, if you’re gigging at a truly pro level, a second FM3 with identical programming is what you need. My backup guitar cost as much as three of them, so in the big scheme of things, it’s not unreasonable. That would also allow you to have a rig at home and one at rehearsals, etc.

Hey there Rick...
No, I am not a pro, though I do gig.

Agreed on the cost issue; money is not the thing here.
To me the problem is getting a replacement FM3 into a bolted-together system while a gig is ~in progress~.

When I was more active I had a second Shiva head just sitting there. IF the main died, it was maybe 40 seconds to re-cable and fire up the secondary. Always had a backup amp, head, combo, something.

Hate to say it, but I agree, the simplest and fastest replacement mid-gig is a second board, with whatever trimmings you built around your FM3.

.... unless there is a way to very quickly remove-and-replace the FM3 off your board. Maybe aided by those quick-release tabs that Temple uses.

Ya, maybe time to face the music, suck it up, and buy a redundant unit. Makes me wonder when a hardware rev might be coming.

Anyway, thank you sir for taking a moment to write on this topic. Best luck to you.

Makes me wonder when a hardware rev might be coming.
the rate of failure of these units is extremely low.

the only time i had screen failure on any fractal product is when i didn't provide airflow to the unit. i had an axe2 in a rack case standing straight up, blocking the rear of the case so there was no air flow.

are you certain you aren't blocking the vent on the bottom of the unit?

Maybe a Strymon Iridium.
It takes different power than the FM3, but no big deal there.
Outputs are TRS, so you would want adapter cables to the presumed XLR that you are feeding.
It is different from an FM3, so the mixer might have to adjust some things.
Seems like a viable candidate, and it is light.

Hey there Rick...
No, I am not a pro, though I do gig.

Agreed on the cost issue; money is not the thing here.
To me the problem is getting a replacement FM3 into a bolted-together system while a gig is ~in progress~.

When I was more active I had a second Shiva head just sitting there. IF the main died, it was maybe 40 seconds to re-cable and fire up the secondary. Always had a backup amp, head, combo, something.

Hate to say it, but I agree, the simplest and fastest replacement mid-gig is a second board, with whatever trimmings you built around your FM3.

.... unless there is a way to very quickly remove-and-replace the FM3 off your board. Maybe aided by those quick-release tabs that Temple uses.

Ya, maybe time to face the music, suck it up, and buy a redundant unit. Makes me wonder when a hardware rev might be coming.

Anyway, thank you sir for taking a moment to write on this topic. Best luck to you.
You’ve got the right attitude for getting your best solution. I’m sure you’ll get it solved. Best wishes, in hopes that your last failure happened here! I always thought it funny that the best thing that can happen is the backup is an unneeded waste of money!

the rate of failure of these units is extremely low.

the only time i had screen failure on any fractal product is when i didn't provide airflow to the unit. i had an axe2 in a rack case standing straight up, blocking the rear of the case so there was no air flow.

are you certain you aren't blocking the vent on the bottom of the unit?
Hey there chris.
Good to hear about the rate, thank you.
It is on a perforated Temple Audio board and the sides are clear. Had to push over due to FC6 next to it.
Maybe those perforations are not enough.
I should ask, is there a recommended minimum distance, either official of from common sense? I put about an inch, just on best guess.

That would duplicate cost and size, plus the extra cost, size and wiring of the switching device that would detect a fail to automatically switch to the second unit. Those who can afford redundant racks usually have a Tech guy that will patch to the second unit in case of failure.

Here is an example of how to build a redundant system for playing Ableton Live with two Apple Mac Mini inside a rack. That shouln't come cheap:
https://mardermusic.com/2017/11/20/how-to-build-a-redundant-rig-for-using-mainstage-or-ableton-live/
The switching in case of failure is still manual, though
Wow thats so cool, total MacGyver rig, I was thinking about something more simple and along the lines of two FM3s with a x-over cable for heartbeat... you know for players that don't have an arena tour budget, but what do I know...

I live on the edge most times but not as professional musician.
I never had a backup with me at gigs and was lucky that, if something failes it was at the end of gig or at next rehearsal after gig.
If I would gig as a pro I would have a backup with me surely.

Most times I've played at least with a second band or whole evening with 4 or more bands from our local region.
We know all each other and if something fails we use the gear of on of the others.
One time I gave my amp to a guitarist whos amp broke down at gig.
One time I lent my FCB1010 because antoher guitarists FCB1010 didn't start.
And so on....

If something failed in the past during my gigs it was mainly monitoring or light or other stuff but not my gear :smile:

I only have at least a second guitar with me because I dont want to change strings during gig if one will tear.

But I most times I have a backup at home that I can do a gig if something fails during last rehearsal before gig or something.
I actual use and old J-Station with FCB1010 as backup.

Anything can fail! If you gig a backup is a must! I had a MkII Boogie fry on me in the first set once. First lesson, never went to a gig without a backup again! Has happened several times since with various equipment,
Backup to the rescue👍🏻

From 2008 - 2018 we had a little local Metal Festival every year for 2 days in our region with around 2000 people and 14 bands at the and I have done stage hands and helping with guitar and bass gear for 6 years there.
Thera are bands from wide area of Europe there and it began with 2-3 local bands.
Later they came from Sweden, France, Swizerland, Netherlands, Greece, Germany, Austria and so on.
We had 3-4 Amps as backup if something fail or somebody wants to use them (Recti, EVH..).
Can remember the day when a good known german band where there and the amp of one of the guitarists had only one of two not damaged speaker out and this didn' work, so I gave him a EVH and set it up that they can perform the gig.
Other year the guys from France... had their Line6 POD and I set it up to an Rectifier and dialed in the sound.

I really can't remember that any band had backup gear.
May there were a few but the most not.

And we had really pros there.

But we got it running every time and it was great.
But after 2 days 17 hours action and the building stage and campground 4-5 days long before and removing it all 2-3 days after.
You know what you have done and why you are tired and feet and bones are aching.

btw it was called METALLER-Grillen (Metal Barbeque in english ;) )

For many, that’s the goal.
My gear budget is not infinite. Given that most backups are rarely if ever used as backups, (if you aren't a touring pro) having two of anything that sounds exactly the same is redundant and not in a fun way. Rather have a different experience. I love the Blug b'c its the farthest thing from a FM3 (super limited, just knobs, etc) while still sounding good and being useful. Having both is more fun than just having either.

Back
Top Bottom