FM3 Factory Presets version 4.0 "Cygnus"

Thank you for the answers. My guitars have new strings. The only thing I said is the diferent sound between the last firmware and cygnus. In general is better but for me in Engl, mesas and the most high gain amps is darker in comparission, and with less punch. I hear my fm3 with the same headphones and I read some users with the same opinion. My fm3 is ok. Thanks!

You can’t look at this from a brighter/darker perspective.

I dont have the amps to test the model accuracy, but I have faith that each release moves us closer in accuracy.

If you don’t want to tweak after a release, go back to the prior release, reload your backed up patches, and that’s that.

But it’s such a pointless task to claim darker or brighter, it’s just different and you like it or you don’t.

You can’t look at this from a brighter/darker perspective.

I dont have the amps to test the model accuracy, but I have faith that each release moves us closer in accuracy.

If you don’t want to tweak after a release, go back to the prior release, reload your backed up patches, and that’s that.

But it’s such a pointless task to claim darker or brighter, it’s just different and you like it or you don’t.
Well said. I think you also have to consider that the community, as a whole, believes Cygnus moved us in a desired direction.

Maybe they used other amps to make cygnus. Because if you go back al 3.02 there a big diference and I prefer the 3.02 sound but only for high gain amps. The other sounds better for me in cygnus. Only that. Thanks!
There are those that say this with every update. No big deal. The great thing about FAS's "way" is that you can make a backup and always have the option of using that version.

With that said, what many end up doing is staying with an older version as they gig or record, while as time permits updating their presets to a new version.

For example I still use a fw version on my Axe-Fx II when I jam with a certain band that's years old because I had spent a lot of time on a lot of presets dialing in for that band.

Point is, decide what YOU want to use and do it. There are no rules.

There are those that say this with every update. No big deal. The great thing about FAS's "way" is that you can make a backup and always have the option of using that version.

With that said, what many end up doing is staying with an older version as they gig or record, while as time permits updating their presets to a new version.

For example I still use a fw version on my Axe-Fx II when I jam with a certain band that's years old because I had spent a lot of time on a lot of presets dialing in for that band.

Point is, decide what YOU want to use and do it. There are no rules.
Good answer. Thanks!

Maybe they used other amps to make cygnus. Because if you go back al 3.02 there a big diference and I prefer the 3.02 sound but only for high gain amps. The other sounds better for me in cygnus. Only that. Thanks!
No. Same amps i would imagine

I have a prs s2 custom 22 with pearly gates and everything is darker as well. Fractal cabs in general seem to be dark. After I eq it gets better but weird that everything is dark…
I can't agree with "everything is darker as well. Fractal cabs in general seem to be dark."

You do understand that only some of the Cabs bundled with the FM3 or FX3 are from Fractal, and that the others are from many different, well known, sources? See "About the factory cabs".

It's extremely unlikely that they'd all create IRs that are consistently dark, or that Fractal went through every one and changed the IR to make it dark when it'd be easy to compare to others from the same company, or that Fractal would bundle dark sounding IRs on only a few people's units. Instead, it's more likely a setting on the unit, or in the sound reproduction chain itself that's affecting the sound being emitted.

The first step to diagnose the problem is to take a full backup. Then reset the system settings, erasing the presets and cabs, then reboot. Then (re)install the latest/current firmware along with the latest presets; At that point it's back to factory-new settings. Disconnect the normal sound system and plug in some good quality headphones and see how the system sounds, moving through many factory presets; if the sound is bad, try a different set of headphones and if continues to be bad it's probably in the unit, the guitar cord or the guitar. Finally, connect your normal sound system and compare its sound to the headphones; If it doesn't sound good then the problem is in the sound system. If everything sounds good, then reload a couple user presets from the backup file, and go through the steps for doing a soft-reset of the amps and tweak and see how they sound. If the sound quality doesn't match what the factory presets sound like then it's either the IRs picked in the preset or settings in the preset and then a deep-dive is needed to locate the problem.

At no point should the previous system settings file be reloaded as that can reintroduce any bad settings. Instead, manually reset them.

I've been through several firmware updates and their beta cycles, and occasionally one of my presets sounded wrong after updating, but by adjusting my IR choices, and tweaking the amp block I've ALWAYS ended up with a much better sounding preset.

Without an example preset, the system settings backup, and hopefully a recorded example, it's extremely difficult for us to try to diagnose the problem because we're being asked to imagine what could be wrong, and there are too many possible causes. We need to have those things otherwise we're shooting in the dark as we try to help.

Last edited:
New factory preset banks for the FM3 have been released on our web site.
These require firmware version 4.0 or newer. They have been optimized for Cygnus and also "enhanced" with new presets, new scenes, performance controls, and more. A ReadMe is included, covering the details of how to install.

EDIT June 21: Link updated to version "c" with various minor fixes now in place.
This can be assumed to be a FINAL version until future firmware warrants an update.
https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/fm3/4p0/FM3_factory_preset_banks_v4p0c.zip

Thanks to everyone who helped with comments during the various preview releases.
Thanks to the beta team members who did a lot of work on these, especially @2112 @iaresee @chris and @hippietim @simeon, and @Cooper Carter, plus the many others who created presets for this set, including @edo @austinbuddy @Larry Mitchell Pete Thorn, @Marco Fanton @Burgs @fremen @Mark Day, Steve Stevens, Devin Townsend, and more (hope I didn't forget anyone!)

EDIT: I DID FORGET SOMEONE!! @Scott Peterson! Thanks for contributing scenes and effects to the "Euro" preset!

And thank YOU for choosing and continuing to support Fractal Audio Systems.
I think these new presets are totally awesome. Some of the clean scenes are amazing like in the JTM45 (spelling?) preset. It is just so usable. Great job all around. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Here's my quick observation as a very new FM3 user. I initially setup to run 4CM to a Blackstar with a 2x12 w/ V30's and the other out to DAW for recording. In the previous iterations of firmware I setup each scene with (DAW) and without (Live) cab emulation. I'm not sure if it's because I've been changing certain settings or not, but it seems that the cab emulation works a lot better with the live setting than previously. There's still a difference but it's not nearly as noticeable as before.

Any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom