FM3 Factory Presets version 4.0 "Cygnus"

I haven’t played Dimarzio Crunch Lab pickups ever. That’s what Cooper Carter’s Music Man JP models usually have and that guitar sounds way more open and clear in the demos vs my gear.

I had the impression they use high output pickups in general

I have a prs s2 custom 22 with pearly gates and everything is darker as well. Fractal cabs in general seem to be dark. After I eq it gets better but weird that everything is dark…

Ears are okay. Thank you :) Also my cables are not exactly the best but since they're not that long I don't think they can cut out all that treble. I've tried using another one, super short, and the sound is brighter but not that much. One of these days I would like to try the combination new strings and better cable but I happen to like the sound of dead string...
Assuming the Pearly Gates didn't come stock on an SG, I wonder if you've looked at capacitor values in the tone control? My strat tone control is out of circuit at max... I wonder if you are experiencing some roll off by default? And I assume you have the volume knob on the guitar on full; I often use the volume knob as a secondary tone control, input gain control. How do the pickups sound through other amps/devices?

I always use the volume and tone pot on 10. The pickups are not stock. I could probably try testing a 15 watt Fender solid state I still have if it powers up again...

Last edited:
Sorry newbie here, if I download the new presets will it delete my user presets I have created in preset bank A 000-020? Many thanks for any help!

Sorry newbie here, if I download the new presets will it delete my user presets I have created in preset bank A 000-020? Many thanks for any help!
If you have them saved in A, B, or C, yes. Back them up or move them to Bank D if installing all factory presets.

Make your own presets and save them in 400s or later.... that way any future updates won't require backing up/saving
your presets. Can just overwrite the old factory presets with the new ones. Easy peasy! :)

With the Fm3 edit-presets-manage-browse, you copy from your computer all the new presets that you want, and then you paste the preset in the place that you want too. Is easier with the fm3 edit, because you can only rewrite one preset if you want

This! As new FM3 user I am currently going thru the new Cygnus presets and reverse engineering presets so help with learning curve. I don't want to remove current 4.0 presets for now. And building band presets in 400 range. Would like to purchase Buddy's Live Gold and others. But do not want to overwrite factory presets and leave room for band presets which I need about 60. Given a total of 512, would it be best to use Fracbot or edit to only load those purchased presets if I would like to try a few at a time? My guess is edit...

This! As new FM3 user I am currently going thru the new Cygnus presets and reverse engineering presets so help with learning curve. I don't want to remove current 4.0 presets for now. And building band presets in 400 range. Would like to purchase Buddy's Live Gold and others. But do not want to overwrite factory presets and leave room for band presets which I need about 60. Given a total of 512, would it be best to use Fracbot or edit to only load those purchased presets if I would like to try a few at a time? My guess is edit...
Yes use Edit.

The presets sound bright with one of my guitars only.

For that guitar, I might, I dunno, turn the tone knob on my guitar, turn off the bright switch, tweak the amp EQ, make a hi cut in the IR, cut some high end with a graphic EQ...

The presets sound bright with one of my guitars only.

For that guitar, I might, I dunno, turn the tone knob on my guitar, turn off the bright switch, tweak the amp EQ, make a hi cut in the IR, cut some high end with a graphic EQ...
Heresy it should all need zero tweaks no matter the guitar! <sarcasm>

With cygnus, the high gain amps sound without life, very dark sound. I copy the negative feedback of the firmware 3.02 and the same grid bias. Finaly I increase the hi cut between 2,5 db and 5db depending on the amp, to give them punch and best sound, more open. Any of you have the same problem?

With cygnus, the high gain amps sound without life, very dark sound. I copy the negative feedback of the firmware 3.02 and the same grid bias. Finaly I increase the hi cut between 2,5 db and 5db depending on the amp, to give them punch and best sound, more open. Any of you have the same problem?
To each their own. Tone is subjective. Personally I've never been happier, especially with the Marshalls and related amp types. Lots of life here.

Those adjustments aren't necessary. Something else must be wrong in your setup..

I dont believe I have ever used a factory preset on any guitar multi processor including my FM3 and AX8, there is just too much variance my my Guitar, pups, amp, headphones and playing technique/ear from anyone that created the original preset, I always find myself mixing the tone to my liking, changing the amount of drive etc. But almost all of the time I enjoy building all my presets from scratch its really part of the fun/excitement... For sure so many of the new Cygnus presets are overwhelming better imo than anything I have ever heard before (.) but I always will make adjustments if I use them. That said if your not happy with the FM3 sounds my recommendation would be to review your entire signal path as I suspect how your listening to your unit may be the problem.

Back
Top Bottom