Fm3 + external fx unit

paulcmusic01

Hi people,

I was wondering if anybody uses the fm3 + an external fx unit like line6 hx for extra effects and switches. How are the fx compared to the fm3? Should I keep my fm3 or save up and get the fm9?

Cheers,

Paul C.

Works great with various fuzz and drive in front, can stick stuff in the fx loop, or just after the output. I’d say the fm3 effects are as good as anything, but if you want to save cpu it can help running an external reverb and such. I have a UA Golden and Meris Mercury 7 I like for different things, but I can do it in the FM3 as well, however, running a dedicated high quality big ambient reverb might limit other effects so kind of easier to have a dedicated external unit…

Plus I like the Meris on synths too and having a stand alone little box is handy for that

Works great with various fuzz and drive in front, can stick stuff in the fx loop, or just after the output. I’d say the fm3 effects are as good as anything, but if you want to save cpu it can help running an external reverb and such. I have a UA Golden and Meris Mercury 7 I like for different things, but I can do it in the FM3 as well, however, running a dedicated high quality big ambient reverb might limit other effects so kind of easier to have a dedicated external unit…

Plus I like the Meris on synths too and having a stand alone little box is handy for that
Yeah, i hit the cpu overload everytime I'm adding a reverb so maybe an external unit can do the trick or the fm9. Is anybody using eventide h9??

I had a space before, not the H9. Didn’t really care for the basic verbs but the blackhole was of course cool.

I found the UA Golden best for spring and plate and also the classic cinematic hall stuff. About the best on the market right now IMO

Overall I think Fractal effects are much better, especially modulations, but I've often thought an HXFX+FM3 setup would be pretty awesome. Adds switches and effects, plus the HXFX is a great MIDI controller.

(Side note: I do love (and sometimes miss) Helix delays, mainly Reverse and Tape Transistor, although I've also fallen in love with Fractal's 2290 w/mod).

Overall I think Fractal effects are much better, especially modulations, but I've often thought an HXFX+FM3 setup would be pretty awesome. Adds switches and effects, plus the HXFX is a great MIDI controller.

(Side note: I do love (and sometimes miss) Helix delays, mainly Reverse and Tape Transistor, although I've also fallen in love with Fractal's 2290 w/mod).
That's what I was thinking. I would find a used hxfx instead of buying the fc6 and get more fx to free up some cpu.

That's what I was thinking. I would find a used hxfx instead of buying the fc6 and get more fx to free up some cpu.
There are pros and cons to both setups:

HXFX sounds great. I prefer Fractals effects for the most part, but no audience will be able to tell a difference. If you use that unit you will have to operate the couple like stomp boxes. If you have an FC6, you are limited on CPU but can build easily footswitchable scenes turning multiple effects on and off or switching channels. FM9 gets you best of both worlds. More CPU and more switches that can do anything. Fractal’s layouts are extremely useful and flexible. I would go with option 2 or 3 personally because I use scenes all the time.

There are pros and cons to both setups:

HXFX sounds great. I prefer Fractals effects for the most part, but no audience will be able to tell a difference. If you use that unit you will have to operate the couple like stomp boxes. If you have an FC6, you are limited on CPU but can build easily footswitchable scenes turning multiple effects on and off or switching channels. FM9 gets you best of both worlds. More CPU and more switches that can do anything. Fractal’s layouts are extremely useful and flexible. I would go with option 2 or 3 personally because I use scenes all the time.
Thanks for your reply. What about using midi between the fm3 and hx? Unfortunately the fm9 is too expensive where I live (Europe). My plan is to use the scenes in the fm3 with some basic drives/comps/eqs and some of the fx from the hx.

Yeah, i hit the cpu overload everytime I'm adding a reverb so maybe an external unit can do the trick or the fm9. Is anybody using eventide h9??
I have an H9 in loop of Ax3 - it's a great little toolbox but I'm not fond of it's convoluted editor. I also have a Source Audio Nemesis delay which is great, but they have a combined Delay/Reverb called "Collider" which i'd like to trade the Nemesis in for in order to have some sort of outboard Reverb in my pedals collection. I like the externals for occasional variety as they tend to sound a little different for reasons unknown - Axfx could probably duplicate anything in these units but their Algos are not published so stumbling across the exact settings in Axfx is unlikely to reproduce their exact sonic flavour. Axefx' loops make using external pedals easy and fun.

Currently, I'm using the FM3 to send MIDI commands to my loop switcher, which has 3 drives on it. Any MIDI controlled device can be switched on / off or otherwise bypassed from the FM3. I've had great results with drives in the front and less so in the effects loop. I did use a Source Audio Collider to provide Reverb then realized reverb gets in the way at most clubs we play. Made life simpler.

Thanks for your reply. What about using midi between the fm3 and hx? Unfortunately the fm9 is too expensive where I live (Europe). My plan is to use the scenes in the fm3 with some basic drives/comps/eqs and some of the fx from the hx.
I don’t have experience using the HX devices to switch scenes on the FM3 via MIDI but I’m sure it is possible. I use MIDI scenes from the FM3 to switch on and off my Wampler Pantheon Deluxe to save on a drive block. I also use the Plex Delay block Plex Verb setting rather than use a Reverb block. Those two things save enough CPU for me.

Back
Top Bottom