FM3 + External Dual Footswitch = OMG 5?

AZG

Experienced
I've got the FM3, a Mosky dual foot switch, and an expression pedal. I'm interested in what others have done and found most effective when using an external dual foot switch? I think it might be useful to many FM3 users if there were some good OMG 5 templates available to help users get started with this setup.

Originally I was thinking of moving all -/+ functions to the external foot switch, but then realized that Bank -/+ and View -/+ are different functions and the external footswitches don't seem to be able to change functions based on the layout selected (I think this would be a nice enhancement for the FM3). This setback has me now rethinking my 5 button setup.

What is everyone else finding most useful with a 5 button setup?

Last edited:
I use 2 Roland FS7 dual footswitches. I use them to for scene changes, changing views, and for enabling/disabling the tuner. I like the FS7s because they are really compact. I also have an expression pedal connected via MIDI using a MIDI baby.

I added a dual switch to my last gig and it added a lot of flexibility. I stay on one layout, and previously had on-board switch 3 hold as View+ in every view. Now one of the external switches is View+ (hold for View-), other is Tap (hold for Tuner). That opened up the hold of on-board switch 3 for 4 new functions (one per view).

I only use one preset so I use the FM switching to acces all 8 scenes. Each button toggles between two scenes (Fm responds well to quick dbl taps when I need say the send scene on switch 2 when I am currently on switch 1) and two buttons have a scene programmed to the button hold function. I use an external two button switch to handle tap/ tuner on one switch and other switch the FM into IA mode and exposes 3 effects ia I have programmed. If I used presets I would use that switch to go preset up or down by doing tap to preset up and hold to preset down

I use my two button switch to do preset down/up as their main functions. Hold one for tuner and hold the other to get to my main selector page (like the middle button in the OMG3 preset). I often program the main 3 switches for preset specific functions, or names like rhythm, boost, lead or whatever the song calls for. Having the main selector on one of the external buttons saves me from having to remember program the hold function for button 2 on the main switches.

And yeah, layout specific functions for external buttons would be awesome, and have been discussed several times so hopefully it'll make it into an update soon.

I only use one preset so I use the FM switching to acces all 8 scenes. Each button toggles between two scenes (Fm responds well to quick dbl taps when I need say the send scene on switch 2 when I am currently on switch 1) and two buttons have a scene programmed to the button hold function. I use an external two button switch to handle tap/ tuner on one switch and other switch the FM into IA mode and exposes 3 effects ia I have programmed. If I used presets I would use that switch to go preset up or down by doing tap to preset up and hold to preset down
That's exactly how I have my scene switching set up too! Works quite well. What does "IA" mean?

I use my two button switch to do preset down/up as their main functions. Hold one for tuner and hold the other to get to my main selector page (like the middle button in the OMG3 preset). I often program the main 3 switches for preset specific functions, or names like rhythm, boost, lead or whatever the song calls for. Having the main selector on one of the external buttons saves me from having to remember program the hold function for button 2 on the main switches.

And yeah, layout specific functions for external buttons would be awesome, and have been discussed several times so hopefully it'll make it into an update soon.
Hey, im really new to the FM3 and I just got a mosky dual switch and would like it to function as a preset down/up. How do you set it up for that function? Or is there any video on youtube that explains how to set it up as a preset down/up?

I could probably be a little more sophisticated in integration, but my Mosky is set up as follows (single clicks only):
-Left button: view page cycle. I pretty much operate on scenes within a song and I use this button to move through the pages in the scenes layout.
-Right button: Tap tempo. I'm a delay junky so like a dedicated tap tempo switch.

The FM3 switches are always on scenes except when I go to the master layout to switch presets for certain tunes.

I originally planned to have some hold function on the switch also, but was having issues getting it to work correctly. I didn't push on it since I decided it wasn't critical for me.

I've got the FM3, a Mosky dual foot switch, and an expression pedal. I'm interested in what others have done and found most effective when using an external dual foot switch? I think it might be useful to many FM3 users if there were some good OMG 5 templates available to help users get started with this setup.

Originally I was thinking of moving all -/+ functions to the external foot switch, but then realized that Bank -/+ and View -/+ are different functions and the external footswitches don't seem to be able to change functions based on the layout selected (I think this would be a nice enhancement for the FM3). This setback has me now rethinking my 5 button setup.

What is everyone else finding most useful with a 5 button setup?
The functionality of the three buttons on the FM works well for me, but I found myself wanting a fourth button for more flexibility, so I added a similar single button to handle per-preset functions.

Usually, I'll route her as a tap tempo, with Scene +1 on hold. That way when I'm getting ready for a solo or a section that requires live timing, I can tap a few times and hold, and be on way.

Hey, im really new to the FM3 and I just got a mosky dual switch and would like it to function as a preset down/up. How do you set it up for that function? Or is there any video on youtube that explains how to set it up as a preset down/up?
Took me a while to really understand how it all works but hopefully I can explain it clearly enough:

Check out "Stand-In Switches" on pg. 80 of the manual. Basically, they allow you to assign external switches as clones of switches you have configured inside the FM3. Essentially, you would be setting-up switches inside the FM3 as "software versions" of your real-world buttons, and then link them together using the Stand-In Switches menu. Two-button footswitches require a TRS cable and will have both a "TIP" and "RING". "TIP" will correspond to one of the buttons on your external switcher, and can have both a tap and hold function like the standard FM3 buttons, and "RING" will correspond to the other button, and can also have both tap and hold functions.

1. Select two unused switches in any layout (for example, Switch 4 & 5 in Layout 8:Utilities), and program them for the tap and hold functions you want for your external switcher. Let's say:

Layout 8, Switch 4: TAP, (anything you want) HOLD, Preset -1
Layout 8, Switch 5: TAP, (anything you want) HOLD, Preset +1
(I strongly advise against setting preset changes to tap functions, for the obvious performance-ruining reasons.)

2. Using the Stand-In Switches menu, select Layout 8:Utilities, Switch 4 for TIP, and Layout 8:Utilities, Switch 5 for RING.
3. If they're backwards, flip them!

So at this point the FM3 has basically linked your external switches to the functions of those two switches in the Utilities layout. The functions are global and will apply for all presets. You can basically consider this as a sort of default for the way your external footswitch operates. If at any time you wanna change what your footswitch does, all you have to do is go in and modify what the switches you linked to are doing. Make sense?

The cool thing is that you can gain a ton of flexibility and change what the switches do on a preset-by-preset basis by using Per-Preset Switches (pg. 79). Per-preset Switches essentially swap out any switch in any layout with any other switch functions you need. Example:

1. Let's say that on a particular preset, you'd like your external switches to have some different tap functions than normal, and you want your external switches to perform Scene -1/+1 on a tap, but still do your normal Preset -1/+1 when held down.
2. Go to the Per-Preset FC menu and program two of the slots as new switches with the functions you want. You'd organize them as two separate buttons, similar to how you did before, but this time on the Per Preset FC page:

PP#1: TAP, Scene -1 HOLD, Preset -1 PP#2: TAP, Scene +1 HOLD, Preset -1

3. Then, by using the Per-Preset Overrides menu (bottom right of the FC Controllers page on FM3-Edit), you instruct the FM3 to "override" the switches that your external buttons were linked to. You would select Layout 8, Switch 4 and override it with PP#1, and override Switch 5 with PP#2. And just like that, the functions of your external buttons will be different for that preset only. Switching back to a different preset will restore the normal functions of your external footswich, or change to whatever you need for that one, too. :)

Okay, hope that makes sense!

I have song specific presets, FM3 buttons are for scene select and dual switch is for ”preset inc” in right button and ”preset dec + hold tuner” in left button. Usually I need only rhythm and lead scenes so this leaves me an extra button for extra scene 😀 I also have tempos mapped in each preset so no need for tap tempo.

Took me a while to really understand how it all works but hopefully I can explain it clearly enough:

Check out "Stand-In Switches" on pg. 80 of the manual. Basically, they allow you to assign external switches as clones of switches you have configured inside the FM3. Essentially, you would be setting-up switches inside the FM3 as "software versions" of your real-world buttons, and then link them together using the Stand-In Switches menu. Two-button footswitches require a TRS cable and will have both a "TIP" and "RING". "TIP" will correspond to one of the buttons on your external switcher, and can have both a tap and hold function like the standard FM3 buttons, and "RING" will correspond to the other button, and can also have both tap and hold functions.

1. Select two unused switches in any layout (for example, Switch 4 & 5 in Layout 8:Utilities), and program them for the tap and hold functions you want for your external switcher. Let's say:

Layout 8, Switch 4: TAP, (anything you want) HOLD, Preset -1
Layout 8, Switch 5: TAP, (anything you want) HOLD, Preset +1
(I strongly advise against setting preset changes to tap functions, for the obvious performance-ruining reasons.)

2. Using the Stand-In Switches menu, select Layout 8:Utilities, Switch 4 for TIP, and Layout 8:Utilities, Switch 5 for RING.
3. If they're backwards, flip them!

So at this point the FM3 has basically linked your external switches to the functions of those two switches in the Utilities layout. The functions are global and will apply for all presets. You can basically consider this as a sort of default for the way your external footswitch operates. If at any time you wanna change what your footswitch does, all you have to do is go in and modify what the switches you linked to are doing. Make sense?

The cool thing is that you can gain a ton of flexibility and change what the switches do on a preset-by-preset basis by using Per-Preset Switches (pg. 79). Per-preset Switches essentially swap out any switch in any layout with any other switch functions you need. Example:

1. Let's say that on a particular preset, you'd like your external switches to have some different tap functions than normal, and you want your external switches to perform Scene -1/+1 on a tap, but still do your normal Preset -1/+1 when held down.
2. Go to the Per-Preset FC menu and program two of the slots as new switches with the functions you want. You'd organize them as two separate buttons, similar to how you did before, but this time on the Per Preset FC page:

PP#1: TAP, Scene -1 HOLD, Preset -1 PP#2: TAP, Scene +1 HOLD, Preset -1

3. Then, by using the Per-Preset Overrides menu (bottom right of the FC Controllers page on FM3-Edit), you instruct the FM3 to "override" the switches that your external buttons were linked to. You would select Layout 8, Switch 4 and override it with PP#1, and override Switch 5 with PP#2. And just like that, the functions of your external buttons will be different for that preset only. Switching back to a different preset will restore the normal functions of your external footswich, or change to whatever you need for that one, too. :)

Okay, hope that makes sense!
Thanks for taking the time to write all that down. It was on point and now I got everything set up. Really appreciate it

Back
Top Bottom