FM3 + Elise.8 Active - subjectively

Mystik

Inspired
Hello,

I got the FM3 with the Elis.8 Active column and let me write a few words from the point of view of the user: FXIII MK1 + Matrix GT1000FX + PPC212
I will write right away: if someone thinks that FM3 is perfect, it's ok. I understand that.

The device is small, light and comfortable. Quite surprisingly handy! Bravo FRACTAL!
I thought the 3 button was not enough, but no. Fractal has come up with the switching of Presets, Scenes and Effects very well. As for me, 100% is enough. Everything can be done.
A bit tight in the back. But it is no wonder with so many sockets. Power plug does not fall out: D Nice little grips on the sides of the device.
The device is very well made and of good materials. All knobs and switches work securely. Way to go!

After connecting, the first reading from FM3 took about 2-3 minutes. But it's only the first time. Then it's fast. Each save of changes is associated with a break in the sound. Even when using the Store button on the device.

The LCD is ok. I am in favor of adding the Preset and Scene names display screen in capital letters, but I thought it would be a bigger problem for me. I can read the names while standing in front of the device (188 cm tall).

I must admit that it has enormous possibilities for such a small device. Sonically, this is basically the same as the FX3 with some exceptions below.
I am disappointed with how fast you can hit the CPU limit. On the forum you can read how much power FM3 has, etc. I do not agree with that. In fact, it is enough to use a few basic blocks to forget about Reverb with the setting quality High or Ultra-High or IR-UltraRes.

Zrzut ekranu 2021-11-11 o 11.20.03.png

For this reason, we will not get the sound like with FXIII. It is not even that certain blocks are absent or there are fewer of them. Sometimes we can't insert a block at all anymore due to lack of CPU power.

Zrzut ekranu 2021-11-10 o 18.53.17.png

And that is my only objection to FM3. For me, the CPU power is definitely too low. All my very slimmed down live presets that I made especially for FM3 are CPU: 76-80% or more. Reverb kills FM3.

Gapless. Within the gaps when switching scenes, for me the problem does not exist. I think it is more difficult for me to release the button quickly enough when switching scenes than the switching time itself. When we press the FM3 button, it doesn't know if we want to use it for toggling or in HOLD mode. After FC6, I have a little problem with it, but I'll get used to it. Switching between presets takes about 1 second.

I put a preset from this thread:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm9-cpu-comparisons-to-fm3-axe-iii-turbo-etc.178187/
FM3 reached a maximum of 88.9% and of course WARNING in red.

In short: by using FXIII you create a sound and you are looking for inspiration. With FM3 you look to see if you are on "red" more often. Unless we give up the Reverb block. The FM3 is a device with enormous capabilities that exceed the capabilities of the CPU. Nevertheless, congratulations to Fractal for so many possibilities in such a small housing.

ELISE.8 Active
I was considering buying an ELISE.8 Active or MF.10 Active. Due to the weight, I chose the smaller one. In fact, the column is moderately large and moderately heavy. Exactly as expected. The interesting shape of the housing also allows it to be positioned at an angle. It's a very cool thing.
The workmanship is good, but the fractal quality is a bit lacking. The column looks as if it was painted with textured paint. I don't like it. In my copy, the feet are of unequal height and the speaker moves slightly.
Sounds like the FRFR, which I'm used to, is darker. Maybe that's why it's closer to the guitar pack. It's ok.
We played with the guys (2x guitar + drums) and unfortunately when the drummer gave a bit of drums, Elise.8 Active couldn't. It's all about the speaker itself. When I used one of the speakers in the PPC212 (12 '') it was much, much better. The amplifier and power are ok for small rehearsals, but the speakers are too small for me.
As the sound suits me, I will test the MF.10.

To sum up: the FM3 + Elise.8 Active set limits me. At the moment, I bet on FM9 + MF.10 Active.

Have a nice day

Back
Top Bottom