FM3-Edit Preset list inaccurate; block problem?

Scented Meat

Power User
I'm on current FM3 FW and FM3-Edit version. When I open FM3-Edit I get this message:

Screen Shot 2022-10-15 at 9.54.41 AM.png

The preset name in the field is the same as on the unit ("Take Me with You", in this case):

Screen Shot 2022-10-15 at 9.55.28 AM.png

But when I open the preset list it's entirely inaccurate:

Screen Shot 2022-10-15 at 9.55.40 AM.png

The block.library.log file contains a very long list of error messages like this one:

"Users/kfliegner/Documents/Fractal Audio/FM3-Edit/blocks/Sim Blocks/Megatap delay/Bouncing Ball Sim.blk: The block was saved using Axe-Fx III firmware version 5.08 and is not compatible with the connected device's firmware."

so it appears to be a block compatibility issue. How do I rectify this?

Grateful for any assistance.

Karsten

Try to refresh preset names. Go to Settings menu, click Preferences, and then go to refresh page.

You can also refresh cabs and block definitions.

Yes that worked: the list of preset names is now accurate. Thanks!

However I still get the same error message when opening FM3-edit; do I need to delete my blocks library and somehow re-populate it from the unit?

The block library is stored only on your computer. The FM3 unit does not know the block library, this is a FM3-Edit thing only.

How to get rid of the error message: Do not delete your complete block library. However you must delete every blk file listed in the logfile.

I'm not familiar with FM3 firmware versions, but before you go deleting a bunch of stuff, does it make sense to you that some items in there are at a more recent firmware version than your unit?

Typically Fractal presets etc can be read by firmware that's at least as recent as what it was saved with, but firmware can't read data saved by a more recent firmware.

The block.library.log file contains a very long list of error messages like this one:

"Users/kfliegner/Documents/Fractal Audio/FM3-Edit/blocks/Sim Blocks/Megatap delay/Bouncing Ball Sim.blk: The block was saved using Axe-Fx III firmware version 5.08 and is not compatible with the connected device's firmware."

so it appears to be a block compatibility issue. How do I rectify this?
You don't need to delete the entire Block Library. As mentioned already, you need to delete the individual blocks that are causing the error. It can be tedious if there are a lot of them, but until the Block Library no longer has these saved blocks, you will continue to get the error message in FM3 Edit.

Yes I know the block library is only on my computer.

There is a ridiculous number of (apparently Axe-FX III) blocks that will need deleting; how they got there I'm not certain, other than I obviously somehow placed them there. There must be a more efficient way of solving this than trying to delete each offending block individually, no?

Yes I know the block library is only on my computer.

There is a ridiculous number of (apparently Axe-FX III) blocks that will need deleting; how they got there I'm not certain, other than I obviously somehow placed them there. There must be a more efficient way of solving this than trying to delete each offending block individually, no?
Did you by any chance download @2112's blocks library? If I'm not mistaken, that's for the III.

I'm not familiar with FM3 firmware versions, but before you go deleting a bunch of stuff, does it make sense to you that some items in there are at a more recent firmware version than your unit?

Typically Fractal presets etc can be read by firmware that's at least as recent as what it was saved with, but firmware can't read data saved by a more recent firmware.
Did you by any chance download @2112's blocks library? If I'm not mistaken, that's for the III.
Those were going to be my recommendations.

The blocks are similar to presets in that they seem to contain information that points to the firmware version that created them. If that version is more recent than Edit is aware of, they'll be flagged in the log.

Blocks can be shared between the various modeler's Edit applications, but it increases the chance of this happening because of the speed of updates of the firmware and the editors. Maintaining separate folders for the Block Library helps reduce the chance of the problem happening. As the firmware and editors are updated they'll regain the ability to read blocks from the other units and editors, but it's those interim periods that are annoying.

I've kept up with FW and FC-Edit versions, so nothing could have originated from a more recent FW than what I'm using, but I think it is a device cross-compatibility issue.

Back
Top Bottom