Wish FM3 Edit Owner's Manual?

bleujazz3

Fractal Fanatic
Just thought to thank FAS for providing us with FM3 user's manuals. Thought a nice wish might be a user's manual for FM3 Edit. There are several features in FM3 Edit that are not covered in the FM3 user's manual, was hoping this might be helpful for folks still beginning to learn how to use FM3 Edit and the FM3.

A FM3 Edit manual would be much appreciated; videos as well, though the sheer number of topics to be covered might prove a hardship. Looking forward to what could be... :)

Yes, I would like to find time to do some new documentation for the editors, plus some videos.
Maybe @2112 and @Burgs, @Cooper Carter and anyone else who's doing instructional videos could provide links to their various videos based on a list of topics that need to be covered? We could create a page in the Wiki as a series of how-to lessons. It'd not be as coherent as they'd be if y'all did it but it'd be a starting point.

It'd be especially useful if, whenever possible, we were able to show how to do something in the editor and on the hardware itself.

A FM3 Edit manual would be much appreciated; videos as well, though the sheer number of topics to be covered might prove a hardship. Looking forward to what could be... :)
@Admin M@ has done a good job on the FM3 manual, and the auxiliary manuals for the blocks, foot controllers et al, are required reading in addition if you want to begin to get the whole picture.

Once you understand that something can be done on the hardware, you can do almost all of it in the editor; there are some things reserved for the hardware only, like resets and changing the built-in layouts, and there are some convenience things the editor provides but everything else I've looked for after reading the manuals has been available in the editor too. The editor manual is out of date but knowing that there's probably a way to do something in the editor helps, and quickly you learn its ins and outs.

@yek has done a great job on the Wiki, and the information and lore, tweaks and reasonings from the team, are captured nicely. There's a LOT of information and I recommend reading and rereading through it many, many, times. Links are provided to the discussions that resulted in staff commenting on something so you can see the entire thread. The Tech Notes are also deep dives into things that make the modelers tick; They'll be over most people's heads initially but as they get more immersed in all-things Fractal the notes will begin making more sense as different topics are read. Modelers in general, and Fractal's especially, are not just pedal and amp replacements, they incorporate information about every aspect of live and recorded guitar+pedal+amp+cabinet+micing+studio effects+room acoustics. That's a huge amount of information but to really make good use of a modeler, and to recreate sounds from records, the information is necessary to know. Where other companies haven't got these resources, Fractal does and it's up to us to do the legwork to find and assimilate them. Some of the support duty falls on the community and is shared through the forums, so to learn the esoterica often requires some searching and digging, and then asking if a determined search was fruitless. Searching beyond a cursory glance then asking helps expand the knowledge base when the question is good and isn't redundant; redundant questions really are extensions of a previously existing one and when we recognize a redundant question we should immediately link to the original and encourage others to answer there rather than add another. In other words, more questions on the same topic don't help, keeping the knowledge concentrated in fewer threads does. Finally, the Wiki, being a wiki, means that we're all able to contribute to it.

Fractal is a small company and a lot of the progress is due to a strong passion that they, and WE, have to make the FM3 and AF3 the absolute best products. Knowing how to help is important.

Maybe @2112 and @Burgs, @Cooper Carter and anyone else who's doing instructional videos could provide links to their various videos.

Yes, Cooper Carter's class is rather like a longitudinal manual for the editor, since he covers all of the essential concepts across the progression.
I can also understand the wish for a vertical approach.

Yes, Cooper Carter's class is rather like a longitudinal manual for the editor, since he covers all of the essential concepts across the progression.
I can also understand the wish for a vertical approach.

Thank you, @Admin M@! Yes, I very much designed the course to be as much a Master Class on the editors as it is on the units.

@bleujazz3 if you're interested, my FM3 and Axe-Fx III classes may be found at http://classes.coopercarter.com

Thank you, @Admin M@! Yes, I very much designed the course to be as much a Master Class on the editors as it is on the units.

@bleujazz3 if you're interested, my FM3 and Axe-Fx III classes may be found at http://classes.coopercarter.com

Cooper,
Thank you for posting your Master Class link! Since I just plunked down some cash for a FM3/EV-1 earlier this month, and now, a FC12, it may be a month of so before it'll be possible for me to opt for your online class. May I ask, what format is the class presented in, (prerecorded/at your own pace, or something else)? Thanks for your response in advance...

Last edited:
@Admin M@ has done a good job on the FM3 manual, and the auxiliary manuals for the blocks, foot controllers et al, are required reading in addition if you want to begin to get the whole picture.

Once you understand that something can be done on the hardware, you can do almost all of it in the editor; there are some things reserved for the hardware only, like resets and changing the built-in layouts, and there are some convenience things the editor provides but everything else I've looked for after reading the manuals has been available in the editor too. The editor manual is out of date but knowing that there's probably a way to do something in the editor helps, and quickly you learn its ins and outs.

@yek has done a great job on the Wiki, and the information and lore, tweaks and reasonings from the team, are captured nicely. There's a LOT of information and I recommend reading and rereading through it many, many, times. Links are provided to the discussions that resulted in staff commenting on something so you can see the entire thread. The Tech Notes are also deep dives into things that make the modelers tick; They'll be over most people's heads initially but as they get more immersed in all-things Fractal the notes will begin making more sense as different topics are read...

...Fractal is a small company and a lot of the progress is due to a strong passion that they, and WE, have to make the FM3 and AF3 the absolute best products. Knowing how to help is important.

Thank you for providing the link to the Axe Edit Guide. Although the guide may be out-of-date because of more recent software incarnations, it will prove useful for understanding basic concepts until something more recent becomes available. The format is easy to read as well, a plus. Will spend some time this weekend taking it in and reviewing. Thank you for your assistance!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom