Not a Bug FM3 Edit: MIDI Block Library - MIDI configurations dont load

Petrocelli

Inspired
I have a Midi controlable Digitech Whammy DT, which includes a seperate "The Drop" Pedal connected to my FM3.
I build the Midi block in my presets grid and used the first command row for controling the whammy (PC# 0-41) and the second row(PC# 42-77) for controling the drop effect for my scenes - works perfect with switching scenes!

BUT the different configurations I stored in the Block Library are not loaded back, or sometimes only one Command Line of the MIDI Block!
If i click on an entry in the library, something is happening in the lower window area of FM3 Edit, but the midi command lines stay empty.

I use FM3 2.0 and FMe edit 1.02.00

@Petrocelli Can you upload your preset? Also, which version of the firmware was this preset created?
Thanks

It happens on any preset (also factory) which i added a midi block.
I stored 4 Block Library presets (which contain the PC# Numbers in the Name of both rows for easy control!)
Sometimes it loads correct but mostly it gets weird! You have to try on different scenes - switching and trying to load Block library presets will (hopefully:rolleyes:) show the problem!

Attachments

• Chorus&AcoS5.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 1
ok, I updated to FW 3 and installed FM 3 edit 1.02.02 - unfortunately no improvement!
I deleted all old Block Library midi presets and reseted the midi block with ctrl-I.
Then I created new presets for scene 1-4 and saved them in the block library. When changing scenes, the midi block is switched on perfectly.

But if I now want to load the saved blocks into e.g. scene 5-8 or into the midi block of another preset, the midi command lines remain empty
and no midi commands are sent!

Also figured out, when i load a preset with a stored midi block configuration
e.g.
Scene 1 - Command 1: PC# 32
Command 2: PC# 68

Scene 2 - Command 1: PC# 23
Command 2: PC# 73

i tried to load a saved Block Library preset to scene 1
which contained Command 1: PC# 20, Command 2: PC# 59
all i get is an empty Midi Block in all Scenes!!!

I have tried several times to reproduce this but I am unable. In FM3-Edit, can you please try Settings -> Refresh after new FW. If you're still having the issue, please provide the exact steps you are performing, starting with saving the MIDI block to the library.

Same problem here. Firmware 3.0.1 FM3-edit 1.02.02 .
I encountered the same bug in FW 1.06, 1.07, discussed in the topic "MIDI Block, buggy block library recall"

In FW 3.0 there does not seem to be any improvement: Loading configurations from the Midi Block-library still only seems to work when I create a new preset and only in scene 1. When I copy the scene containing a Midi Block to scene 2 for example, the Midi Block does not copy the correct settings, neither is it possible to load settings from the Midi Block-library on scenes other than scene 1. Instead of loading the correct settings it doesn't load any settings at all (and sometimes it loads 4 rows of seemingly random CC-messages, which are not at all related to the settings I was trying to load).

Petrocelli's video shows the same behaviour.

As much as I love the FM3, this is kind of a dealbreaker for me, as one of the main purposes for my FM3 is to control a midi-switcher that controls my analog pedals in front of the FM3. It's a pita to program all my scenes/presets as now I have to look up and manually program the correct program changes for every scene. And when I finally programmed the Midi Block in scenes 1 to 8 in a given preset, and decide to change the Midi Block settings in scene 1 using the Block Library (which only works in scene 1) and then save, the Midi Block-settings in scene 2 to 8 will be erased, after which I have to manually assign my program changes again.

I hope this bug gets addressed before live gigs become a thing again ;)

Last edited:
Dear BryantP, i did the refresh, but it didn't solve the problem!

I made a Video about the problem:
Thank you for the video, that's always the best way to get at the root of these problems. It looks like it's working as intended to me. The block library is not per scene. So, for instance, at around minute 3 in your video the MIDI block is on scene 4 and block "PC 21 / 60" is recalled. It's loading the proper data, but it's only scenes 1 and 2 have been configured. Scene 3-8 in the MIDI block save as "PC 21 / 60" are all blank. I hope this makes sense.

I encountered the same bug in FW 1.06, 1.07, discussed in the topic "MIDI Block, buggy block library recall"
I have not been able to reproduce an issue with block recall. Do you have an example preset? If you could also provide some of the values you expect that would be helpful.

In FW 3.0 there does not seem to be any improvement: Loading configurations from the Midi Block-library still only seems to work when I create a new preset and only in scene 1. When I copy the scene containing a Midi Block to scene 2 for example, the Midi Block does not copy the correct settings, neither is it possible to load settings from the Midi Block-library on scenes other than scene 1. Instead of loading the correct settings it doesn't load any settings at all (and sometimes it loads 4 rows of seemingly random CC-messages, which are not at all related to the settings I was trying to load).
I can confirm that copy scene is not working well with the MIDI block and we will get it fixed. I haven't seen random CC message data, however.

@BryantP
Thanks for your response!

After reading your comment on Petrocelli's video I tried it out for myself, and I think I'm beginning to understand what is going on. So what you're saying is that a file in the MIDI block library saves all different settings from all 8 scenes within the preset in which that MIDI library block-file is created. So if I recall a file from the block library in whatever scene (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 or 8), it overwrites all settings in all scenes (1-8) within that preset. And you're saying this is the way the MIDI block library is intended, am I correct?

I was under the impression that the MIDI block library could indeed store and recall individual block settings for one scene at the time. For certain other effects blocks and certain workflows I think I understand that saving all settings from all scenes within one block library file could make sense. For the MIDI-block however, I don't quitte get how there's no option to store and recall block settings for one scene at the time. As this seems much more intuitive to me (and maybe to @Petrocelli and others). As I'm building a one-song-per-preset setlist, every scene the MIDI-block needs an individual setting which determines which external overdrive pedals are on or off in that scene/part of the song. As the used MIDI PC/CC's are in themselves meaningless numbers, I would really like to name, save and recall settings per preset, so I can easily see which external pedals I'm turning on/off in each scene. I can imagine most people using external midi switchers and/or midi-controlled effects would want the same. But I may be wrong or overlook something.

Fixing the copy scene behaviour from the MIDI block would really help. As it would make copying settings from other scenes reliable. Naming, saving and recalling settings per scene would be even better imho.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really liking the FM3. But for a device that's so intuitive yet so customisable, I can't wrap my head around the way the MIDI block and it's library feel a bit limiting or counterintuitive. But again: maybe I'm overlooking something.

Anyway, thanks for the support!

So if I recall a file from the block library in whatever scene (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 or 8), it overwrites all settings in all scenes (1-8) within that preset. And you're saying this is the way the MIDI block library is intended, am I correct?
It's a block library, not a midi block library.

It saves blocks. It loads blocks. It doesn't matter which block type. A block exists in all scenes. A scene only controls the on/off or channel selection.

@BryantP
First of all, have a healthy, happy new year. Many thanks for the answer. I misunderstood the functionality of the Midi Block Library, I thought I could save or load Midi configurations per scene here.
Complex settings (they are just numbers) could be quickly inserted into scenes without the midi implementation tables or manuals for the devices.
To improve this workflow, the FM3 would need an additional level in which configurations can be saved or loaded per scene. This would also make more practical sense, as @AlaskaPollok said, you can hardly use midi configurations between different presets by saving a block, but want to load midi commands in scenes individually using clear names.
Thanks for the clarification

Back
Top Bottom