FM3-Edit 1.05.11 (to support fw 6.00 public beta 4)

Michael Pickens

FAS Software Engineer
Fractal Audio Systems
FM3-Edit 1.05.11 provides support for FM3 firmware 6.00 public beta 4.

The editor is available below:

OSX
https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/FM3-Edit/FM3-Edit-OSX-v1p05p11.dmg

Win64
https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/FM3-Edit/FM3-Edit-Win-v1p05p11.exe

Win32
https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/FM3-Edit/FM3-Edit-Win32-v1p05p11.exe

RELEASE NOTES

VERSION 1.05.11
November 15, 2022

Current FM3 Firmware Version: 5.03

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
  • Mac version requires OS version 10.7 or newer
  • Windows version requires Windows 7 or newer
  • Minimum firmware version 2.00

NEW IN THIS VERSION

* Support for firmware 6.00 public beta 4
* Corrected the AMP layouts for the Dizzy V4 models
* Added AMP block layout for Herbie MK3.

@Michael Pickens

There is an option called AUTO REPEAT in the configuration of Footswitches when the selected function is Inc/Dec.
For example, selecting Preset Inc/Dec in the Hold mode, lets me configure AUTO REPEAT to ON.
Then, if I hold down the footswitch, the number preset starts to increase automatically.

This configuration is only possible via the configuration in the unit itself.

It could be possible to add this Auto Repeat menu to FM3-Edit?

@Michael Pickens

There is an option called AUTO REPEAT in the configuration of Footswitches when the selected function is Inc/Dec.
For example, selecting Preset Inc/Dec in the Hold mode, lets me configure AUTO REPEAT to ON.
Then, if I hold down the footswitch, the number preset starts to increase automatically.

This configuration is only possible via the configuration in the unit itself.

It could be possible to add this Auto Repeat menu to FM3-Edit?
I'm guessing this is a new feature? I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere...

I know this has been wished for on all the FC/FM hardware.

I realized I should've add this report here: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm3-firmware-version-6-00-beta-6.189516/post-2350157

FM3-Edit version 1.05.11 behaves strangely with the beta 5 FW version. Sorry to post it here, I will try to reproduce it with the b6 tomorrow.

After I performed "refresh", Editor stopped reacting to my actions. Leveling tool window opened, but didn't show any signal (sound was coming through the monitors ok).
Restarted the app, it updated the window with a proper preset and scene, allowed me to enable-disable blocks, but didn't load presets selected in Presets management window, didn't switch scenes or updated the status of FM3 selection. Restarted again, same story.
After the fourth restart for Editor (not FM3) the issue seemed to be finally gone, but presented itself in a couple of minutes. I was randomly switching factory presets and some presets created and saved in previous betas with Leveling tool opened, and Editor stopped working again.
I restarted again a for a few minutes nothing happened. So I opened the OLD NEW COUNTRY preset and tried to rename it, when I realised I can't, it didn't save the new name. I opened Leveling tool to check and sure enough, "no singal".

I'm not able to find better steps to reproduce so far, will keep trying on b5 today, and on b6 tomorrow.

UPD. I've completed typing this post, switched back to FM3, and the signal is "back" again in the Leveling tool, and the name seems to be the "new" one I tried to save. I tried to change the preset name once again, and Editor froze back on me again :)

So I've decided to do a full backup and got this:
1670081444509.png
I've attached patches #357 to #359 to the post (just in case). I had to restart Editor to do this two times. It exported 357, 358, then didn't allow me to switch to 359, so I restarted again. It actually allowed me to open Preset management window, select 359, but didn't load it until I restarted the Editor and did it again.

Attachments

• 6b5 report - 357 Octoplex' Garden.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 6b5 report - 358 Chimey Echoes.syx
  • 6b5 report - 359 Crystal Echoes.syx
I should mention that I've opened this preset only AFTER the backup. I was backing up using empty preset, and didn't open any of these presets for I don't know how long.
However, I did a big reshuffle of all presets about a week ago, so many presets were moved around. I don't remember if this one was moved, but I'm pretty sure that one of the presets I've created a long time ago has very different content from what it is intended to be. Have no idea how to check it, I didn't revisit it for a long time, so maybe I just forgot.

Then, if I hold down the footswitch, the number preset starts to increase automatically
Nice. I’ve wanted this for bank switching.

Ok, so I've tried stop funking around after I went to another room for a few minutes, and found that the device to be on preset 439 when I left it on 82, and update it to b6, but Fractal bot stopped working on this screen:
1670085985510.png
Please advise what to do next. Should I turn off the device or it will brick it and require reset?

Ok, so I've tried stop funking around after I went to another room for a few minutes, and found that the device to be on preset 439 when I left it on 82, and update it to b6, but Fractal bot stopped working on this screen:
View attachment 112151
Please advise what to do next. Should I turn off the device or it will brick it and require reset?
I'm not sure but I suspect you have a bad USB cable...

Does the FM3 indicate that it's updating? What's on the main display (post a picture)?

I'm not sure but I suspect you have a bad USB cable...
There is a chance I didn't connect it properly after taking it out yesterday.
So I've unclenched and restarted Fm3 and Editor, updated FM3 to b6 after the restart, and also reinstalled Editor (same version, no mistake).
So far so good. I'll post an update if any issues.

After the upgrade I had no issues with Editor for the whole evening, and a few hours today.
I stay on the Dr Z factory patch today (however, modified a bit with a few blocks removed and YA cabs in channels B/C/D), and was working with the Cab Management page for an hour or two, uploading IRs in a structure convenient for me. No issues.
Then I've decided to color-code them, clicked on the wrong cab, and tried to switch between presets to cancel the changes, and it didn't work in exact same way as yesterday - you click the +/- buttons, and nothing happens. Changing scenes and presets from hardware wasn't reflected in the Editor.
I've restarted the Editor and after a minute it showed an error message (I didn't take the screenshot) and then showed "Connected!", but nothing was show in the main window.
Restarting the Editor fixed the issue, everything is working again now. I've created a new preset, uploaded some IRs, color-tagged them - no issues so far.

What can I do to troubleshoot the issue? The only idea I've got is to change the USB cable, which I will definitely do tomorrow. Anything else? Maybe there are logs I can share?

Then I've decided to color-code them, clicked on the wrong cab, and tried to switch between presets to cancel the changes, and it didn't work in exact same way as yesterday - you click the +/- buttons, and nothing happens.
Color coding presets and cabs in the manager has nothing to do with a stored setting or parameter in a preset so changing presets will do no good.

It’s an entirely separate mechanism that is stored and displayed only in Edit. Edit stores the color assignments in a separate preference file on the disk in its workspace directory. You can delete the file and all assigned colors will be removed.

If you accidentally set a color, reselect the item and assign no color to it.

The colors are assigned to entries based on their names only. This has two problems:
  1. If you rename the entry, the color assignment will be lost.
  2. If you duplicate the name of an entry that has a color assigned already the duplicate will also get the assignment.
Changing scenes and presets from hardware wasn't reflected in the Editor.
The communication to the modeler was probably dropped.

The Edit application is basically a dumb terminal screen and keyboard connected to a computer host, which is the modeler. If the link is broken they operate separately.
What can I do to troubleshoot the issue? The only idea I've got is to change the USB cable, which I will definitely do tomorrow. Anything else? Maybe there are logs I can share?
Odds are good it’s the cable but it could be a conflict with a different USB device, or the hub is not working well. Make sure any hubs are powered and are good quality.

I’d recommend shutting down the computer and modeler, unplugging all USB devices, power up the computer, plugging in the modeler, wait 5 seconds for USB to recognize the connection then turn on the modeler. Work with that for a while and see if it is stable.

If it is, then gradually reintroduce the other USB devices and see if the modeler connection remains stable.

I had all sorts of annoying problems with my modelers, then tore it all apart, upgraded to a good quality powered USB hub and plugged the Fractals directly into my iMac, and all my drives into the hub. It’s very stable now, with occasional drops that I suspect are tied to the computer sleeping.

Color coding presets and cabs in the manager has nothing to do with a stored setting or parameter in a preset so changing presets will do no good.
Of course. I was trying to give an idea of things I did, not the goals :)

If it is, then gradually reintroduce the other USB devices and see if the modeler connection remains stable.
This approach won't work, unfortunately - the glitch is not easily reproducible, and I won't be able to work without my USB keyboard and mouse :) It took me a few hours of clicking today before the glitch presented itself. Two hours passed since my last post, no issues detected, same activities done - uploading IRs, switching/renaming presets, playing with CAB block settings.

I will start with a different cable first and see where it takes me in the next few days.

the glitch is not easily reproducible.
It took me days to figure it out working over several weeks so I understand, and also know it's possible to fix.

I won't be able to work without my USB keyboard and mouse
The odds are extremely small that a keyboard or mouse would conflict. Drives, printers, and scanners are more likely culprits.

You don't say what OS you're using. macOS uses universal drivers so there's nothing to uninstall, install or update. On Windows, it could be a driver conflict between two different devices, version conflicts, etc.

On macOS, the Energy-Saver system preference has a "Put hard disks to sleep when possible" setting that contributed to a lot of problems early on my system. Letting a machine sleep can do it too so I enabled "Prevent automatic sleeping when the display is off" in the Advanced tab in Displays. Windows might have similar settings.

Some people automatically quit the Edit app once they're finished using it for the night and even power down the modeler so they start the next time from a clean and fresh connection. I leave the modelers running for weeks and often leave Edit running for days, which seems to be the practice at Fractal also.

I will start with a different cable first and see where it takes me in the next few days.
5 meters is the maximum length for USB 2.0, which is what the modelers support. Both of my FM units are at the end of 5-meter cables. My FX3 is beside my desk so it's maybe 3 meters.

It's frustrating dealing with this sort of problem, because we expect our computer connections to "just work", so good luck.

I'm on Windows, no updates installed recently. So the env is more or less unchanged for quite some time. No drivers/printers, just Zoom UAC-2 and FM3 are connected.
I leave the modelers running for weeks and often leave Edit running for days, which seems to be the practice at Fractal also.
This would probably be an overkill for me as a home user. However, I also try to switch on and off as rarely as possible.

My FX3 is beside my desk so it's maybe 3 meters.
My USB cable is 3m. The issue started happening exactly after b5 installation, but of course, " "after" doesn't mean "as a result of" " :)

Back
Top Bottom