FM3-Edit 1.05.10 (to support fw 6.00 public beta 1)

Michael Pickens

FAS Software Engineer
Fractal Audio Systems
FM3-Edit 1.05.10 provides support for FM3 firmware 6.00 public beta 1.

The editor is available below:

OSX
https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/FM3-Edit/FM3-Edit-OSX-v1p05p10.dmg

Win64
https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/FM3-Edit/FM3-Edit-Win-v1p05p10.exe

Win32
https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/FM3-Edit/FM3-Edit-Win32-v1p05p10.exe

RELEASE NOTES

VERSION 1.05.10
October 31, 2022

Current FM3 Firmware Version: 5.03

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
  • Mac version requires OS version 10.7 or newer
  • Windows version requires Windows 7 or newer
  • Minimum firmware version 2.00

NEW IN THIS VERSION

* Support for firmware 6.00 public beta 1
o Added "Speaker Breakup" to the AMP block Speaker page.
o Added Depth control to AMP block types Brit Super, Brit 800 Mod and JMP-1 amp models.
o Added AMP model layouts Diamante Fire and PVH 6160 Block Crunch.
o Changed "Drive" to "Gain" in the AMP layouts.
o Updated AMP block Dumble-type layouts with "Overdrive Volume" control.
o Added "Plate Suppressor Diode" control to the AMP block's "Pwr Tubes + CF" page.
o Updated the controls AMP block's "Ideal" page.
o Added DRIVE block layouts for Esoteric Bass RCB, BB Pre AT, and Griddle Cake.
o Updated "Quad Parallel" layout in MULTITAP DELAY block.
o Added support for the firmware's "FC Setlists/Songs" feature. From the editor's Tools menu select "FC Sets/Songs" or use the top-level button "Sets/Songs" to access the new view.
o Increased the editor's internal CPU warning level when connected to firmware 6.0.

* Corrected a case-sensitive file extension comparison that prevented bundle files from being recognized as valid file types.

* Corrected the "Output Level" strings in the Setup / Audio / Output Config.

* Corrected a bug in the Sets/Songs view in which clicking an item in the Song list while a song-name was open for editing in the Song Section caused the name to be applied to the newly clicked list entry and not the entry that was previously viewed.

* Corrected a bug in the FC Per-Preset view in which a layout switch was not marked as overridden when assigned to PP1.

* Modified FC-Edit to query the pp-tap-category and pp-tap-function if the switch is assigned a per-preset override.

* Modified FC-Edit to compare the current and last-known patch number to force a refresh of the view.

* Modified FC-Edit to query the LCD strings if either a change in FC or Per-Preset FC data has changed. This allows the switch LCDs to update when a per-preset override is set.

* Updated the PresetTranslator to support FM9 fw 2.03.

* Updated the PresetTranslator to translate the Multiplexer "Input Select" between devices.

* Updated the PresetTranslator to correctly convert the Pitch Input Source found on the Controllers / Pitch page between devices.

* Updated the PresetTranslator to correctly convert the Compressor "Knee Type" between devices.

* Corrected an issue in the PresetTranslator that improperly imported data for the Axe-Fx III's Out4 block causing the Per-Preset data to be mishandled.

* Updated the PresetTranslator to translate the Axe-Fx III CAB block "Mic Distance" to/from FM3 and FM9.

* Updated the PresetTranslator to translate the REVERB block "PreDelay" between devices.

* Updated the PresetTranslator to set the CAB block "IR Length" to default when translating between the Axe-Fx III and the FM3/FM9. The Axe-Fx III has different "IR Length" options than the FM3/FM9, while the FM3 and FM9 have the same options.

* Corrected a Translation bug in the FC Per-Preset Effect-category when converting Axe-Fx III fw 20.00 and greater presets to FM3/FM9.

* Corrected a display issue in the Perform view in which the controls of the "Global Performance Controls" would disappear when resetting their labels.

* Added a logger to the PresetTranslator. For each preset translated, the log will show the device the preset came from, the preset name, and if any changes were made to the translated preset. Changes include effects removed for being either incompatible or for their parameters exceeding the created preset size.

* Added a "View Log" submenu to the Help menu to display the Block Library and Preset Translator logs.

* Corrected the Block Library import to strip a block file's firmware BETA tag. This allows the translation algorithm to correctly identify which translation table to use for the given block's device and firmware.

* Corrected Per-Preset FM9 to Axe-Fx III/FM3 translation.

* Modified Block Library Save dialog with extra help text.

* Modified the parameter control's SHIFT right-click menu in the effect-editor to show the "Set In Multiple Presets" menu option when the selected effect has only one channel.

* Moved the LOOPER block's "Speed" control to the Looper page.

Alright alight alright, first reply...
Working with MacOS Ventura and Same preset that was 80% average is now 75.9%, plus looks like I can squeeze another block in.

Last edited:
ok. took the plunge since I don't have a gig until the weekend. I was actually doing some recording for a video so I can compare 5.03 to 6 easily today.

@Michael Pickens

There is still a bug when copying-pasting per-preset blocks: layout links are not well copied/pasted.
I reported this bug previoulsy:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm3-edit-1-05-08.182915/post-2247762

I try to explain it again. Let's consider the following configuration:

#PP1 | tap: BPM | hold: Tuner | Layout Links: empty
#PP2 | tap: preset+1 | hold: preset-1 | Layout Links: go to layout 1

If I copy #PP1 to #PP2, it happens this:
#PP2 | tap: BPM | hold: Tuner | Layout Links: go to layout 1 (it should be empty)

If I copy #PP2 to #PP1, with the initial values, it happens this:
#PP1 | tap: preset+1 | hold: preset-1 | Layout Links: empty (it should be go to layout 1)

@Michael Pickens

There is still a bug when copying-pasting per-preset blocks: layout links are not well copied/pasted.
I reported this bug previoulsy:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm3-edit-1-05-08.182915/post-2247762

I try to explain it again. Let's consider the following configuration:

#PP1 | tap: BPM | hold: Tuner | Layout Links: empty
#PP2 | tap: preset+1 | hold: preset-1 | Layout Links: go to layout 1

If I copy #PP1 to #PP2, it happens this:
#PP2 | tap: BPM | hold: Tuner | Layout Links: go to layout 1 (it should be empty)

If I copy #PP2 to #PP1, with the initial values, it happens this:
#PP1 | tap: preset+1 | hold: preset-1 | Layout Links: empty (it should be go to layout 1)
I haven't tried Layout Link plus Per Preset override.

Is the Layout Link actually part of the per preset override?

If so then that definitely sounds like a bug.

I haven't tried Layout Link plus Per Preset override.

Is the Layout Link actually part of the per preset override?

If so then that definitely sounds like a bug.
I never use overrides, I always use per-preset switches in layouts 1, 2, and 3.

The bug happens when you copy-paste between per-preset switches, inside the page of FC Per-Prst

I never use overrides, I always use per-preset switches in layouts 1, 2, and 3.

The bug happens when you copy-paste between per-preset switches, inside the page of FC Per-Prst
So these are Per Preset Placeholder switches?

Sorry, I don't use the default layouts.

So these are Per Preset Placeholder switches?

Sorry, I don't use the default layouts.
I don't use default layouts. The bug is not related to layouts. I mean that it doesn't matter if you use per-preset as overrides or placeholders.
The problem is when you copy-paste any per-preset switches inside the Fm3-Edit page, here:
Captura de pantalla 2022-10-31 a les 23.53.08.png

I'm seeing weird behavior in the drive block in FM3-Edit, on the tone page: When loading any drive model, the Tone page has BMT controls at noon, which I would have thought were the default values for these parameters. When double-clicking any of these knobs, the value resets to zero. The Mid frequency resets to 636Hz, Low Cut to 200Hz and Hi Cut to 9999Hz. Is this to be expected?

I'm seeing weird behavior in the drive block in FM3-Edit, on the tone page: When loading any drive model, the Tone page has BMT controls at noon, which I would have thought were the default values for these parameters. When double-clicking any of these knobs, the value resets to zero. The Mid frequency resets to 636Hz, Low Cut to 200Hz and Hi Cut to 9999Hz. Is this to be expected?
Default values when double clicking often aren't the defaults as they would be if you reset the block.

Default values when double clicking often aren't the defaults as they would be if you reset the block.
OK but, shouldn't they be? It seems like if I change say, the bass control from 5 to 7.5 and after some tweaking, I want to reset its value to "stock", double-clicking should return it to 5, no? Why zero instead? Seems arbitrary.

OK but, shouldn't they be? It seems like if I change say, the bass control from 5 to 7.5 and after some tweaking, I want to reset its value to "stock", double-clicking should return it to 5, no? Why zero instead? Seems arbitrary.
May be, but it's been like that in all the editors going back to the Axe Fx II...

It would be nice but that then also means those values for every type of every block all have to be stored somewhere in the editor because the hardware doesn't have any way reset any single parameter to default... It can only do that by resetting the whole channel or block.

That would be a massive amount of effort to setup and maintain, I think.

May be, but it's been like that in all the editors going back to the Axe Fx II...

It would be nice but that then also means those values for every type of every block all have to be stored somewhere in the editor because the hardware doesn't have any way reset any single parameter to default... It can only do that by resetting the whole channel or block.

That would be a massive amount of effort to setup and maintain, I think.
Yes, that's why. Axe-Edit would have to know the default value of every parameter of every block, and default values can change with a firmware update. So it would have to poll the Axe-Fx for the default values of every parameter, every time it connected. People wouldn't enjoy waiting for that.

Back
Top Bottom