FM3 DI Troubleshooting

No. Here we have 240volts I am in London.

Isn’t the fm3 designed to work between 110 and 240volts?
It is. It'll auto-adjust as well.

I'm very stumped. Especially if you say it works fine at a friend's house.

If you unplug everything from the FM3 at your house so it's just: guitar > FM3 and some headphones in the FM3 to monitor, does anything improve?

It is. It'll auto-adjust as well.

I'm very stumped. Especially if you say it works fine at a friend's house.

If you unplug everything from the FM3 at your house so it's just: guitar > FM3 and some headphones in the FM3 to monitor, does anything improve?
I also tried connecting the fm3 to every socket in the flat, even the bathroom and yes I took one of my iloud Mtm to the bathroom also.

Last time I took it to a friends house it worked perfect we did a lot of power cycles to test it.

But same day before taking it there it was working fine here also.

I also tried connecting the fm3 to every socket in the flat, even the bathroom and yes I took one of my iloud Mtm to the bathroom also.

Last time I took it to a friends house it worked perfect we did a lot of power cycles to test it.

But same day before taking it there it was working fine here also.
If you change the input pad settings for input 1 do you notice any difference? Does 0 dB sound significantly louder than 18 dB?

I have no idea how this would affect things, but do you have your AC set to 50 Hertz? (That's what it is in London, right?)

Is there any way to assess/test the general power quality in a home? My knowledge taps out here but I've been in places where things like ethernet over power are garbage because of the wiring/setup. Seems to be in the same ballpark perhaps.

That 50/60 Hz setting only affects the noise gate and how it tries to filter out mains hum. Power spec for the FM3 is 90–264 VAC, 47-63 Hz. It can handle a pretty wide range of input.

Guys for you to have a good idea on this video I was using the same preset I uploaded today (that is sounding like clean now and with no balls)
Yea, there's no doubt in my mind that you're experiencing some kind of problem that's affecting the input level into the grid (or the AMP block).

I also tried that and no difference however
Ok!

That's possibly significant.

So at 0 dB and 18 dB, do the input LEDs respond differently? Do they tickle the red at 0 dB and not even get close to tickling the red at 18 dB? Or do they respond the same for both the 0 and 18 dB settings?

That 50/60 Hz setting only affects the noise gate and how it tries to filter out mains hum. Power spec for the FM3 is 90–264 VAC, 47-63 Hz. It can handle a pretty wide range of input.
Yes tried both 50 and 60 hz that didn’t really change anything honestly

We have 50hz cycle here so I always set it up like that.

Yea, there's no doubt in my mind that you're experiencing some kind of problem that's affecting the input level into the grid (or the AMP block).
Yes (it gives me the same sensation when you are not feeding enough signal into a console and because of that you are not getting “enough colour or balls” from that console.

Sorry if my example is not related to the fm3 but already know that you know what I am talking about and have understood completely the problem.

Again very grateful for all the time you are taking.

Ok!

That's possibly significant.

So at 0 dB and 18 dB, do the input LEDs respond differently? Do they tickle the red at 0 dB and not even get close to tickling the red at 18 dB? Or do they respond the same for both the 0 and 18 dB settings?
Yes they respond differently you lose gain on the input lights if you put 18db you are almost touching the yellow but as the manual says the fm3 autocompensates that in the processed sound.

I also tried that and no difference however
That's to be expected. Those have no effect on the level going into the grid.

IMHO, you're not going to find the answer to your problem in your FM3. It's an environmental problem in your studio. Maybe the FM3 is more sensitive to it, whatever it is, than your other gear, but it's extremely unlikely it's something you can fix by mucking with system parameters or by swapping it with another FM3.

Back
Top Bottom